Jean Eustache on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Calvin

Re: Jean Eustache on DVD

#126 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:27 pm

She said 'releases' rather than specifying theatrical but I suspect that will be the case. She also said 'the others are shorter' so it won't be limited to La Maman et la Putain, which she mentioned is a favourite of Gaspar Noe's and that 'without it there wouldn't be Vortex'.

therewillbeblus

#127 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:33 pm

It definitely inspired a lot of films but that wouldn’t be on the triple-digit shortlist of what comes to mind!

Calvin

#128 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:31 pm

There's now a poster for the La maman et la putain restoration and it looks like June 8th will be the date of the French re-release. I imagine that it will premiere at Cannes Classics.

Calvin

#129 Post by Calvin » Thu May 12, 2022 11:29 am

Cahiers du Cinema dedicate 12 pages of their latest issue to the restoration of La maman et la putain

Calvin

#130 Post by Calvin » Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 pm

We now have a trailer for the restoration

[Some of these posts might belong in the general Eustache thread, but the last post in that was in 2008!]

Calvin

#131 Post by Calvin » Tue May 17, 2022 2:00 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:33 pm
It definitely inspired a lot of films but that wouldn’t be on the triple-digit shortlist of what comes to mind!
Gaspar Noé on The Mother and the Whore

Calvin

#132 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:38 am

The restoration of Mes petites amoureuses will premiere at Venice

charal

#133 Post by charal » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 am

Bluray.com have THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE listed under the Criterion label with no actual release date. Should we assume it is coming soon as past of the collection? I would expect the complete works to be released by a UK label like Arrow in the wake of Boris’s deal to allow his father’s films to be released.

ryannichols7

#134 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 am

charal wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 am
Bluray.com have THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE listed under the Criterion label with no actual release date. Should we assume it is coming soon as past of the collection? I would expect the complete works to be released by a UK label like Arrow in the wake of Boris’s deal to allow his father’s films to be released.
Bluray list anything under anyone. but that said, Janus does hold that title and Eustache's other films, so Criterion will likely release them in the near future. I can't imagine the Arrow of 2023 would be interested in them. during the peak Academy era? absolutely. now? doubtful - they still do a few big arthouse titles (and have done more in 2023 than I expected) but by and large the genre stuff reigns supreme with them.

charal

#135 Post by charal » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 am

You’re probably right about Arrow. I have noticed them avoiding Euro cinema over recent years but I haven’t bought anything from them for years. I suppose BFI or Artificial Eye would be a better bet.

Calvin

#136 Post by Calvin » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:12 am

Criterion will be releasing the Eustache films in the UK as well as the US.

SeizureMilk

#137 Post by SeizureMilk » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:08 pm

charal wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 am
You’re probably right about Arrow. I have noticed them avoiding Euro cinema over recent years but I haven’t bought anything from them for years. I suppose BFI or Artificial Eye would be a better bet.
I think there could be a chance that Arrow could do a Eustache release considering their Fassbinder releases from what last year, but that was probably because of the previous Arrow Academy release. Out of the 2 you mentioned, BFI doesn’t really have many examples of non-British films being released from them (at least in recent years that I can think of) and while it could fall with Artificial Eye, they seem to prefer more semi-modern releases from what I’ve seen from them. If there’s any British label I think would release a Eustache set, it’s probably gonna be Radiance Films since it fits into their main objective though it would probably be a Criterion release as another person pointed out.

dwk

#138 Post by dwk » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:22 am

As Calvin said Criterion/Janus have the UK rights. From Variety:
Janus Films has acquired the complete catalogue of renowned post-French New Wave director Jean Eustache for North America, U.K. and Ireland. 

yoloswegmaster

#139 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:27 pm

Carlotta will be releasing a Eustache boxset in April next year.

TechnicolorAcid

#140 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Here's hoping Criterion releases a Eustache box now after this announcement. Does December sound like a good guess considering Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes is (I'm presuming here) a Christmas film?

fiendishthingy

#141 Post by fiendishthingy » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:28 pm

Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes does take place at Christmas, but since it wouldn’t really be the centerpiece of the box set, I doubt that the holiday setting would influence the release date. I would hope, too, that Criterion will get around to some Eustache — a box set or otherwise — before December of next year (too late for this December). Then again, Carlotta released a set of the Kinuyo Tanaka films a year ago and the new Antoine Doinel restorations almost two years ago, and Criterion hasn’t gotten around to any of those yet, so we’ll see.