Georgian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Georgian Films on DVD

#1 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Can anyone fluent in Georgian tell us what films are these?

I do know this much (not sure if it's among those listed at FB) that from the series only My Grandmother (1929) has English subtitles and the DVD can only be had if you buy it together with a magazine called Shokoladi (meaning hot chocolate). Georgianfilm emailed me about this.

jsteffe

Re: Georgian Films on DVD

#2 Post by jsteffe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:15 pm

The Facebook page says "Collection of Georgian Films. A joint project of the magazine "Hot Chocolate" and "Georgia Film." I'm guessing this means that all these films are also offered by "Hot Chocolate"? The films are:

Kristine (Aleksandre Tsutunava, 1916)
Arsena Jorjiashvili (Ivane Perestiani, 1921) The name is also spelled "Dzhordzhiashvili" if you go by the Russified spelling.
Gogi Ratiani (Kote Marjanishvili, 1927)
Khanuma (Aleksandre Tsutsunava, 1926)
Eliso (Nikoloz Shengelaia, 1928)
The Communard's Pipe/Komunaris chibukhi (Kote Marjanishvili, 1929)
Lost Paradise/Dakarguli samotkhe (Davit Rondeli, 1938)

L.A.

#3 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

^ Thanks for your help, jsteffe.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:10 am

L.A. wrote:Can anyone fluent in Georgian tell us what films are these?
There's a new addition (last one on the right, second row).

Also, does this Dutch release of Chermeni (1970) have Georgian language soundtrack?

jsteffe

#5 Post by jsteffe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 pm

L.A. wrote:
L.A. wrote:Can anyone fluent in Georgian tell us what films are these?
There's a new addition (last one on the right, second row).

Also, does this Dutch release of Chermeni (1970) have Georgian language soundtrack?
The new addition is Mikheil Chiaureli's Saba (1929).

I suspect that the Dutch release of Chermeni does not actually have a Georgian soundtrack, since it is almost certainly from the Russian Cinema Council release, which only has Russian. It's possible that this is one of the films whose Georgian soundtrack elements were lost in the Georgian film archive fire several years ago.

admira

#6 Post by admira » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Digital restoration at UPP.

National Film Archives of Georgia
VOYAGE OF THE YOUNG COMPOSER (1986)
MAGDANAS LURJA (1959)
KETO A KOTE (1948)
SALT FOR SVANETIJA (1930)
MY GRANDMOTHER (1929)

http://www.upp.cz/digital-restoration-p168.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#7 Post by L.A. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 am

jsteffe wrote:The new addition is Mikheil Chiaureli's Saba (1929).

I suspect that the Dutch release of Chermeni does not actually have a Georgian soundtrack, since it is almost certainly from the Russian Cinema Council release, which only has Russian. It's possible that this is one of the films whose Georgian soundtrack elements were lost in the Georgian film archive fire several years ago.
Once again, thanks for the info.

Of the Georgian films on DVD released by the Russian Cinema Council, which titles offer the Georgian language soundtrack as well? At least the excellent Mameluke (1958) do.

And oh yes, this Otar Iosseliani Box Set (19DVD) looks tempting. I believe the films have English subtitles.

plastm

#8 Post by plastm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

L.A. wrote: And oh yes, this Otar Iosseliani Box Set (19DVD) looks tempting. I believe the films have English subtitles.
Films in this box have Russian, English and French subtitles.

BigMack3000

#9 Post by BigMack3000 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 am

plastm wrote:
L.A. wrote: And oh yes, this Otar Iosseliani Box Set (19DVD) looks tempting. I believe the films have English subtitles.
Hmm, it appears they won't ship this to the US, despite it being an option. Is there another site selling this boxset?

jsteffe

#10 Post by jsteffe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 am

BigMack3000 wrote:
plastm wrote:
Hmm, it appears they won't ship this to the US, despite it being an option. Is there another site selling this boxset?
Biblio-Globus does, I've ordered DVDs from them before. You can find the box set by copying and pasting "Иоселиани" into the search box.

vertovfan

#11 Post by vertovfan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 pm

If you don't want to pay $150 for My Grandmother on amazon, you can get it for $20 plus shipping from the DVDs soundtrack composer here. I was skeptical, but mine arrived in the mail today and it's a wonderfully offbeat film.

Gregory

#12 Post by Gregory » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 am

I wrote a little about that DVD of My Grandmother here which I bring up again mainly as a disclaimer about the narration. I still recommend the DVD. Also, that post in turn links to an older thread on Georgian silents started by jsteffe, in case anyone interested hadn't seen that.

vertovfan

#13 Post by vertovfan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 am

Yeah, the narration can be a bit off-putting, but I got used to it by the end. I considered making a custom DVD with a subtitle option, then realized they probably wouldn't even be necessary for a second viewing.

L.A.

#14 Post by L.A. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 am

Does the Russian Cinema Council DVD of Pirosmani (1969) offer Georgian language soundtrack as well?

jsteffe

#15 Post by jsteffe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm

L.A. wrote:Does the Russian Cinema Council DVD of Pirosmani (1969) offer Georgian language soundtrack as well?
Yes. It has the Georgian mono track as well as a Russian dub mono track and a Russian 5.1 track.

L.A.

#16 Post by L.A. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

jsteffe wrote:
L.A. wrote:Does the Russian Cinema Council DVD of Pirosmani (1969) offer Georgian language soundtrack as well?
Yes. It has the Georgian mono track as well as a Russian dub mono track and a Russian 5.1 track.
Thanks for the info.

Johnwayne

#17 Post by Johnwayne » Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 am

estvar

#18 Post by estvar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 am

Unrelated, this article on contemporary Georgian cinema might be of interest to some: http://investor.ge/article.php?art=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#19 Post by L.A. » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 am

Beginning (Déa Kulumbegashvili, 2020) coming to Blu-ray next month.

Calvin

#20 Post by Calvin » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:01 pm

Unfortunately not a disc, but I thought it worth mentioning that Klassiki will be hosting a (primarily) online restospective of the films of Eldar Shengelaia on the occasion of his 90th birthday.
A retrospective of the Georgian auteur comes to Klassiki this February.
From 9 February to 2 March 2023, Klassiki members can look forward to an exclusive retrospective of Georgian auteur, Eldar Shengelaia, as we screen new restorations of five of his most beloved films.

Klassiki presents Shengelaia at 90, highlights of which include screenings of classic titles The White Caravan (1963) and Blue Mountains (1983) at the Garden Cinema, London, as well as the online premieres of The White Caravan (1963), Eccentrics (1973) and The Chair (2017) alongside existing Klassiki titles An Unusual Exhibition (1968) and Blue Mountains (1983).
Classic Georgian cinema has long been defined by the auteurs who lit up the Soviet studio system with their poetic visual imagination: Tengiz Abuladze, Otar Iosseliani, and others. Perhaps the most under-appreciated of these figures outside of Georgia, Eldar Shengelaia, is nonetheless one of the most significant film artists the country has produced, his works retaining their political and artistic sharpness to this day.

The season will be accompanied by an exclusive online interview with Eldar himself and a round table discussion of his filmmaking career

thirtyframesasecond

#21 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:29 pm

This is exciting news. Klassiki has some of the films of Tengiz Abuladze too.