Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
perkypat

Re: Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

#151 Post by perkypat » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanks, Michael, might give them a whirl. Just heard so many horror stories about extra charges, stuff being stuck at customs etc. A couple of small traders I occasionally buy stuff from in the EU have stopped selling to the UK. Still, blue passports, eh?

feihong

#152 Post by feihong » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:51 am

Night Riders looks stunningly beautiful on blu ray––rich grain, depth of field, a sharp, well-defined look, and really strong sounding sound (I don't pay that much attention to sound usually, but this one struck me as having very good sound mixing). I also picked up blu rays of A Fountain for Suzanne, which looks just as sharp and well-authored, and Perinbaba, which I think looks mostly really good. I can see the grain on display in the image, but there is a lot of soft-focus photography and some scenes of snow spray which look a little soft. All blu rays have English subtitles. I know Night Riders is a great movie, but Fountain for Suzanne and Perinbaba are blind buys for me. They look cool, and Juraj Jakubisko has not steered me wrong yet. So I'm looking forward to seeing these. But I know Night Riders is worth it. A very neat film.

MichaelB

#153 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:53 am

I've yet to encounter a Slovak Film Institute release that wasn't fully bilingual in English and Slovak - subtitles, menu, booklet, you name it.

TMDaines

#154 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:11 am

perkypat wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm
Thanks, Michael, might give them a whirl. Just heard so many horror stories about extra charges, stuff being stuck at customs etc. A couple of small traders I occasionally buy stuff from in the EU have stopped selling to the UK. Still, blue passports, eh?
The only benefit I can identify from Brexit is that you shouldn't get any customs charges on orders below £135 from anywhere in the world now. I've ordered a fair few things from the EU and the US. VAT for orders of goods under £135 is now intended to be collected at point-of-sale. VAT for orders of goods £135 or over is supposed to be at point-of-entry to the UK, but sites like Amazon and eBay are seemingly even collecting it for orders above that, so your packages will just sail through customs. Things are miles better than what they used to be.

The EU has also employed nearly identical rules with a 150 euro threshold.

This Blu-ray.com post summarises it: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st19165172

I've always been happy to pay the tax, but it was the flat £8 handling fees that I was desperate to avoid. It seems we are now there, more or less.

Calvin

#155 Post by Calvin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:57 pm

The SFI have told me that a Blu-Ray release for Eduard Grečner's Dragon's Return is 'coming soon!'

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#156 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Nice!

L.A.

#157 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:20 am

Their next Blu-ray is dedicated to Dušan Trančík, out in December.

Pripravujeme... Blu-ray 🔸DUŠAN TRANČÍK – KRÁTKE FILMY🔸

Napriek tomu, že najpočetnejšiu vrstvu slovenskej kinematografie tvoria krátke filmy, často sa na nich zabúda. Prinášame preto výber z krátkometrážnej tvorby režiséra Dušana Trančíka, ktorý predstaví päť dokumentárnych a dva hrané digitálne reštaurované filmy z rokov 1968 až 1974. Spája ich nekonvenčný prístup k predkamerovej realite a nápaditá štylizácia. Taký je aj film Amulet (1974). Rozpráva o náročnej úlohe herca, ktorý má zobraziť smrť povstaleckého vojaka.

🔜 Blu-ray Dušan Trančík – krátke filmy nájdete v Klapka.sk a ďalších spriatelených predajniach od polovice decembra.

djvaso

#158 Post by djvaso » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:44 am

L.A. wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:20 am
Their next Blu-ray is dedicated to Dušan Trančík, out in December.

Pripravujeme... Blu-ray 🔸DUŠAN TRANČÍK – KRÁTKE FILMY🔸

Napriek tomu, že najpočetnejšiu vrstvu slovenskej kinematografie tvoria krátke filmy, často sa na nich zabúda. Prinášame preto výber z krátkometrážnej tvorby režiséra Dušana Trančíka, ktorý predstaví päť dokumentárnych a dva hrané digitálne reštaurované filmy z rokov 1968 až 1974. Spája ich nekonvenčný prístup k predkamerovej realite a nápaditá štylizácia. Taký je aj film Amulet (1974). Rozpráva o náročnej úlohe herca, ktorý má zobraziť smrť povstaleckého vojaka.

🔜 Blu-ray Dušan Trančík – krátke filmy nájdete v Klapka.sk a ďalších spriatelených predajniach od polovice decembra.
http://www.klapka.sk/blu-ray/blu-ray-kr ... a-trancika

L.A.

#159 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 am

😍 New release!

DVD Jaroslava Havettová. Selected Works presents the work of the first lady of Slovak animated film – from her early beginnings up to the highly fruitful 1980s. The selection thus includes examples of various animation techniques and procedures, infused by a distinctive artistic handwriting; their thematic diversity always hides a remarkable message.

👉 The disc contains digitally restored films The Song (1969), The Statue (1969), Until the Pitcher Is Broken at Last (1971), Contacts (1980), The Last Stone (1982), Heeelp! (1985), We We Like Hens (1986), Fate (1988) and the booklet.

🎬 Available at Klapka.sk.

Klapka.sk

#160 Post by Klapka.sk » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:30 am

Hi guys, a new blu-ray will be available for sale soon :) BR Slnko v sieti / BR The sun in a net

ryannichols7

#161 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 am

wonderful!! that's an amazing movie. did it receive a new remaster?

MichaelB

#162 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 pm

Presumably the same disc that was in the box set from a few years ago.

But that looked fine, so I have no problem with that.

(Not least because I have it already!)

L.A.

#163 Post by L.A. » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:02 am

Slnko v sieti / The Sun in a Net Blu-ray now listed. Fabulous.

Klapka.sk

#164 Post by Klapka.sk » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:37 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 am
wonderful!! that's an amazing movie. did it receive a new remaster?
hi Ryan, I think it´s the same release, but with with a few bonuses :)

Klapka.sk

#165 Post by Klapka.sk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:44 am

Hi guys, new blu-ray realeses.

Third movie of Martin Šulík Záhrada/The Garden (1995) - thirty-year-old Jakub has long been unable to resolve his relationship whit the married Tereza, he is dissatisfied with his job, and he doesn´t get on with his father, with whom he lives in the same household. He therefore chooses to move to the countryside to his grandfather´s abandoned house surrounded by a large garden. From his grandfather´s notes he rediscovers simple things he had long forgotten - he learns how to scythe the grass, prune the trees, make slivovitz, bake bread. Whe he meets the mysterious Helena, it changes his life completely...

And the second new release is Blu-ray Dežo Hoffmann - Photographer of The Beatles (2022) - He was The Beatles officail photographer, he worked with the Rolling Stones nad other rock stars of the second half of the 20th century. This feature-lenght documentary about the globally acclaimed Slovak photographer, who until recently was almost forgotten, highlights the importance of Dežo Hoffmann´s influence onthe development of the world of photography - his originality, creativity and not as yet fully appreciated innovation, thanks to which his photographs have become and indelible part of the history of pop music.

available at Klapka.sk :)

števo

TMDaines

#167 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:11 am

Maybe time to do another order for my birthday.

Matt

#168 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:55 pm

I tried ordering from them recently and couldn’t figure out how to pay. They sent me an email afterwards saying that the order went through but still required payment. I think we both just gave up on each other after a while. How is it supposed to work?

TMDaines

#169 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:10 pm

It was years since I last ordered, but it may have been the case that you order and they then send payment details in a separate e-mail..It is fairly common with Eastern European websites that you order, and are then contacted to make payment with a link to a payment provider in an e-mail.

ryannichols7

#170 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:27 pm

I want to do an order but I'm also telling myself I actually want to make the pilgrimage to Klapka's physical store in Bratislava in 2024. we very nearly did it this year! if we do I'm gonna budget to pick up most of the SFU discs in person

have any of us (besides klapka themselves) done so?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#171 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:35 pm

I last ordered two years ago, and yes, they send a separate email to receive payment. I'd like some of these new releases too and would be happy to head up a group buy if others are interested

vertovfan

#172 Post by vertovfan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:58 pm

I ordered the new releases a few days ago. Unlike with some previous orders, there was no separate email for payment and the only available payment option (other than paying in-person at the store) was via bank wire transfer. They provided the account details on the order confirmation page, and requested to include the order number and customer last name as a note with the payment. I paid via Wise (formerly Transferwise) and everything went smoothly. I didn’t receive a confirmation from Klapka, but when I emailed them to follow up, they replied very quickly that everything was on track and provided a postal tracking number.

vertovfan

#173 Post by vertovfan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:04 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:I want to do an order but I'm also telling myself I actually want to make the pilgrimage to Klapka's physical store in Bratislava in 2024. we very nearly did it this year! if we do I'm gonna budget to pick up most of the SFU discs in person

have any of us (besides klapka themselves) done so?
I’ve never been to Slovakia, but I visited the Cinematheque of North Macedonia when I was in Skopje, and it was absolutely worth it.

TMDaines

#174 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:53 am

Made a new order last night. One Czech Blu-ray I wanted was out of stock, but oh well. Birthday at beginning of February. Let's see if it gets here in time.

In related news, I have had no end of trouble returning damaged items from Amazon.de to their Slovakian return centre. Despite completeing all the customs forms accurately and attaching all the necessary Amazon-provided documents, everything bounces back to me from the Slovak border.

TMDaines

#175 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:16 am

Oh man, three new discs released today.

Kristove roky (1967)
Boxer a smrť (1962)
Pieseň o sivom holubovi (1961)