All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Tom Amolad

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1276 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:01 pm

Thanks! Others have had good experiences with the folks at 220 Electronics?

bad future

#1277 Post by bad future » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:00 pm

I ordered my region-unlocked sony ubp-x700 from them, and my interaction was limited to dropping it in my cart, checking out, and receiving it a short time later, but I would characterize it as a good experience. The player has worked perfectly for the last 3 years or so (A and B being the only blu-ray regions I've tried, but I switch between those pretty regularly with no problem.)

artfilmfan

#1278 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:43 pm

I have bought several DVD/Blu-ray players from them over the years and have not had problem with the purchases or the players. The last one I bought was this Sony BDP S3700. It’s OK for playing the DVDs/Blu-rays, but very limited in streaming capabilities. If you plan on streaming, you might want to look for a more expensive model.

Tom Amolad

#1279 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 pm

Thanks, all!
I'm using other means for streaming, so it sounds like this is all I need.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1280 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm

You might want to make sure to get a multi-region player that can convert PAL to NTSC -- and not all of the multi-region players can do this.

Tom Amolad

#1281 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:01 pm

Oh, I forgot about that detail. (I last bought one of these fifteen years ago.)

Is it true of the Sony BDP-S3700 or do I need another?

Edit: I should have just checked the website before asking. They say it does.

artfilmfan

#1282 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:45 pm

I’ve just put into the player an MK2 DVD imported from France years ago with “Zone 2 DVD9 PAL” listed on the back cover and it plays fine on my NTSC TV.

therewillbeblus

#1283 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:51 pm

Tom Amolad wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:01 pm
Is it true of the Sony BDP-S3700 or do I need another?
You’re all set. That player plays multi-region DVDs and lasts forever. My UHD player won’t appropriately translate subs on R2 sets so I actually still use my Sony even more often (it’s also way easier to navigate with digital files on a USB too)

Tom Amolad

#1284 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:52 pm

Thanks, all!

senseabove

#1285 Post by senseabove » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:46 pm

Since regionfreedom.com appears to have disappeared, someone over at avforums has taken it upon themselves to reverse engineer his firmware mod and intends to release it for free. He seems to have successfully reverse engineered the existing firmware/featureset already, and is now working on additional features and an installer.

jtlin

#1286 Post by jtlin » Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 am

Any recommendations for a reliable EU (not post-Brexit UK) dealer? Germany, Spain, France, Scandinavia, Ireland...?

Moved to Europe after 20 yrs in the US, with my collection in tow, but all region locked blurays are currently decorating the shelves, and DVDs are playable only with my macbook...

Svevan

#1287 Post by Svevan » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:37 pm

Hey all. I’m looking for a multi-region DVD and Blu-Ray player that I can use for exhibition purposes. The Sony S3700 that’s been recommended seems nice, however I additionally need as few onscreen playback icons as possible. Can anyone tell me if this or any other multi-region Blu player out there is free of onscreen icons during playback? Thanks!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1288 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:28 am

I'm unsure if that's the proper place to post since I'm not exactly looking for an All Region player, but it seems like a close-enough place : I had a Panasonic BDT-110 US BD Player to play all my Region A and it, well, pretty much burned down a month ago.

I'm now looking for a US BD player that would replace it, ie quite a run of the mill one, as I'm only looking to read Region A BDs with it (no SACD, close to no DVD, no SVOD, etc). I'm seen either the Sony BX370 or the Panasonic BD84 (which are both currently at $78 on Amazon). Do you know if there is any known problematic issue with any of them (or maybe a clearly better player) or if they would be a good suit for such a (rather standard) use ?

Side question : my region B player still is my good ol' French PS3, but I'm also looking to possibly replace it for a regular player (which would consume less electricity), and since I'm at it, it'd be a UHD player. I've seen UK multiregion UHD players that aren't that expensive (on Multi Region Magic), but am I right that UK players might have issues with BDs with 50Hz content that we can get in France ? If so, that would eliminate this option as its main use would be for French discs. (which is why I'm thinking about remaining simple here : one US BD player for Region A discs, and one French UHD player for everything else).

therewillbeblus

#1289 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:11 pm

I still have my Sony BDP-S3700 from about a decade ago and use it all the time. I actually prefer it to my Panasonic UHD player in almost every practical way - the USB drive and subtitle system is great, and I've never had playback issues with any disc. The only caveat (maybe) is that it'll shut off when a disc is paused after a period of time (don't recall how long, maybe like 20 minutes?) whereas the Panasonic stays on indefinitely. But it'll stay on if a film on your USB is paused.

The BDP-S3700 is what I recommend and/or buy for relatives looking for a solid region A player every time

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1290 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. It's also $80 on Amazon, so I'll keep an eye on it.

therewillbeblus

#1291 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:29 pm

tenia wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:00 pm
Thanks for the advice. It's also $80 on Amazon, so I'll keep an eye on it.
It was a bit cheaper around the holidays last year. That might be the going price now, but it may be worth checking around Black Friday if you want a lower price.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1292 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:41 pm

I might cave in earlier than that, as I have tons of Region A discs so I'd like not to be unable to playback them for too long, but I wouldn't have expected a lower price considering $80 seemed already quite low to me. Good to know !

hearthesilence

#1293 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:19 pm

I'm impressed your PS3 is still running - if it was manufactured locally, maybe they did a better job with the heat sink? Otherwise, there's a notorious manufacturing flaw where the heat sink is mostly a goo that dries up and becomes ineffective, which is what happened with mine. As a result, the player wouldn't activate, IIRC it would simply beep and flash an indicator light. There's a ridiculous fix for it, but it's a huge pain in the ass and likely temporary. Regardless, it only lasted a year, so it convinced me to spend the extra money on an Oppo, which was indeed more reliable and has lasted more than a decade now.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Sony UBP-X800, but it's approaching $300 new. (I've seen used units regularly for much less than $200.)

senseabove

#1294 Post by senseabove » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:18 pm

The (free!) region free firmware patch for the 820 has been released, and while it ain't exactly pretty, it works. A kindly user wrote a step by step guide for using a virtual machine to run the patch.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1295 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:48 am

The fan of the PS3 has actually started about 2 years ago being very active much more quickly than it used to. Before, it would only go turbine-mode during heatwaves, now it does so all year long (not straight away but after about an hour of use). I'm quite happy it's lasting that long, it's a solid BD player, so it's less money I spent on players so far, but it won't be eternal.

As for the UHD player, it'll probably either be the X800 or a UB820.

AxeYou

#1296 Post by AxeYou » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:33 am

tenia wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:28 am
but am I right that UK players might have issues with BDs with 50Hz content that we can get in France ? If so, that would eliminate this option as its main use would be for French discs.
Doesn’t UK also use the PAL standard and thus have 25/50 fps content? There have been many 25fps BDs released in the UK, e.g. Arrow’s Dekalog, Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day, Second Sight’s Berlin Alexanderplatz.

FWIW my region-free modded US-model Panasonic UB820 can play 1080p & 4K 25/50fps content natively on a TV that supports these refresh rates.
hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:19 pm
Otherwise, I'd recommend the Sony UBP-X800, but it's approaching $300 new. (I've seen used units regularly for much less than $200.)
tenia wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:48 am
As for the UHD player, it'll probably either be the X800 or a UB820.
If you decide to go with Sony, make sure to get the X800M2. The base X800 model does not support Dolby Vision.

Some extra considerations re. Sony vs Panasonic:
- The consensus is the UB820 sees way fewer issues with disc freezing.
- If you fancy remuxing (e.g. alternative audio), X800M2 supports more formats with network-based playback, and is one of the only affordable devices that can play DV FEL remuxes.

DeprongMori

#1297 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:06 am

See my comments above regarding playback issues of certain materials on the Panasonic UB820 when considering this player.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1298 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:46 am

AxeYou wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:33 am
Doesn’t UK also use the PAL standard and thus have 25/50 fps content? There have been many 25fps BDs released in the UK, e.g. Arrow’s Dekalog, Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day, Second Sight’s Berlin Alexanderplatz.
I might be misrembering, but my memory was telling me this, but maybe I'm mixing this up with either DVD players or US players.
AxeYou wrote:
If you decide to go with Sony, make sure to get the X800M2. The base X800 model does not support Dolby Vision.
Yes indeed, I'm only considering the M2 version as I was aware of the DV support (or lack of).
AxeYou wrote:
Some extra considerations re. Sony vs Panasonic:
- The consensus is the UB820 sees way fewer issues with disc freezing.
- If you fancy remuxing (e.g. alternative audio), X800M2 supports more formats with network-based playback, and is one of the only affordable devices that can play DV FEL remuxes.
That's the consensus I'm getting from France too, though we do have one label (BHQL) which seems to routinely have BD discs unreadable on UB820.
DeprongMori wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:06 am
See my comments above regarding playback issues of certain materials on the Panasonic UB820 when considering this player.
Just so I'm understanding this properly : do you have issues when playing discs outside of the normal region of your UB820 player, or will I have issues with, say, French discs if I'm buying a French UB820 ?

DeprongMori

#1299 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:46 am
[quote=DeprongMori post_id=799777 time=<a href="tel:1695035188">1695035188</a> user_id=24761]See my comments above regarding playback issues of certain materials on the Panasonic UB820 when considering this player.
Just so I'm understanding this properly : do you have issues when playing discs outside of the normal region of your UB820 player, or will I have issues with, say, French discs if I'm buying a French UB820 ?
My issues were with a US player firmware-modded for region selection on playback on lower-res PAL content (such as supplements) on Blu-ray discs. It outputs audio only for that PAL content. It will play PAL DVDs just fine.

AxeYou

#1300 Post by AxeYou » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:51 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 pm
My issues were with a US player firmware-modded for region selection on playback on lower-res PAL content (such as supplements) on Blu-ray discs. It outputs audio only for that PAL content. It will play PAL DVDs just fine.
My US player works. Did you get a chance to try this:
AxeYou wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:22 pm
DeprongMori wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:57 am
The 820 fails to play the video for the SD supplemental content found on the recent BFI Greenaway The Draughtsman’s Contract or the UK Witchfinder General Blu-rays, for example.
Took me a while, but I was able to find a PAL SD/50i extra on StudioCanal's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie Blu-ray (Region B). Here it is playing just fine on my UB820 (Region A but modded): https://i.imgur.com/w8Edd86.jpg

And here it is playing an NTSC SD/60i extra on StudioCanal's Ran BD (Region B): https://i.imgur.com/iMUBzpR.jpg
DeprongMori wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:57 am
I’m interested in trying out your remote workaround, if you have more details.
I modded with RattleByte's kit. They told me the button sequence was the following. However, idk if this applies generally to any modded UB820. Hope it works for you!
In order to switch off the 60p conversion, press the sequence "RED BLUE 2 3 4" in standby.