Ritrovata and Eclair Cinematic Universes

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Ritrovata and Eclair Cinematic Universes

#101 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:29 am
By the looks of them, you most likely can add Hotel des Amériques and La Baule-les-Pins to the Ritrovata color stamped list.
It turned out La Baule-les-Pins actually is Hiventy.

Fred Holywell

#102 Post by Fred Holywell » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Studio Canal's Cartouche (1962) was "restored" in 4K by Ritrovata. Just released stateside by Kino.

Beaver's reviewer says: "The only curiosity is that the film does have an almost golden brown and green/teal tint to the visuals. This could very well be intentional though or a function of being ritrovata'ed, but I didn't find it distracting."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#103 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:38 am

It's definitely Ritrovata'd. Studio Canal used this restoration for their november 2019 Blu-ray.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#104 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Le fils du requin (Agnès Merlet / Gaumont), Eclair'd to death.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#105 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm

The Eclair restoration of Debord's Hurlements en faveur de Sade has popped up online and it's probably the most absurd example of this phenomenon to date. The film's visuals consist entirely of alternating black and white leader, and this is how the whites look:

In their defense, they appear to have nailed the blacks.

Maltic

#106 Post by Maltic » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm

That's chutzpah :)

hearthesilence

#107 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:41 pm

Jesus, this is getting really fucking ridiculous.

jsteffe

#108 Post by jsteffe » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:57 am

I don't see what the problem is. The LUT they used provides an accurate representation of European color film stocks of the period.

Fred Holywell

#109 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:43 pm

La femme et le pantin (1959). Restored by L’Image Retrouvée, the French branch of L'Immagine Ritrovata.

TestsBluray.com: (from French) ...the recognizable color signature of the laboratory is visible here... the good news is that the signature is less intense than we have seen on other films...

jsteffe

#110 Post by jsteffe » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Nice to see that it has English subs, too. If the "recognizable color signature" is not too obtrusive I might be able to stomach it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#111 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

As discussed in The River's thread : Roberto Rossellini 2011 restoration of the Italian version of India Matri Bhumi (Ritrovata)
Also :
Betty and Madame Bovary (Chabrol / Eclair)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#112 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:17 am

Kamikaze (Eclair / Didier Grousset) though it's a lighter touch than usual
The Damned (Bologna / Visconti)

I'll be covering Lyon's Festival Lumière this year again and have tried to setup a meeting with Eclair. It might be feasible (if we manage to find a time slot fitting everyone). And since they're now part of L'immagine Ritrovata, Davide Pozzi should be part of the discussion too.
I'm not sure yet who'll be present from Eclair and hope there'll be someone close to the technical steps of the process.

mhofmann

#113 Post by mhofmann » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:07 am

tenia wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm
Betty and Madame Bovary (Chabrol / Eclair)
Don't have Betty yet but Madame Bovary has Hiventy in the credits and at the end of the film.
Another Chabrol, Une Affaire de femmes, was definitely handled by Eclair (complete with yellow-ish MK2 logo).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#114 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:45 am

I received all 3 and indeed has no issue finding what's what (and what's not) without even looking at the credits.
Madame Bovary of course doesn't look a bit like the other 2 since it was done by Hiventy, and there was no doubt the other 2 were done by Eclair. I found afterwards the details on Carlotta's website (though not on the BDs product pages but the movies' ones and of course those 2 were done by Bruno Patin at Eclair).
What's interesting with Betty though is that most of the brighter daylight scenes are much more balanced than usual, but those darker scenes ? Not a single doubt. It's like I've seen those in 100 other movies before.

Fun fact : I don't recall which Eclair movie I was watching a few weeks ago but my GF popped up in the living room, saw it and asked me "Watching a French blue movie ?" I asked her why she was saying that, and she told me the French movies I was watching most of the time were blue, so this means Eclair's signature is so bad and they're grading so many movies that she now has associated French catalogue colour movies as being blue.
And mind you : she's not into these things like I am, she's just seeing those because I do.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#115 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Eclair :
Une journée bien remplie

Ritrovata :
Lucky Luciano
The Damned
Illustrious Corpses

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#116 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:40 am

Eclair :
L'appât

Ritrovata :
Que la fête commence
Il giardino dei Finzi Contini
Lo chiamavano Trinità...

I've updated the 1st post in order to fix the dead links since the end of Retro-HD. Most of the movies had other reviews with properly taken screencaps, mostly either blu-ray.com or DVD Classik.
Also : I had a chat with someone from Eclair at Lyon Film Festival 2 weeks ago, and since this person wasn't really from the technical side of things to begin with, this was a particularly frustrating discussion overall.

Update : review from DVD Classik for the De Sica : https://www.dvdclassik.com/test/blu-ray ... i-m6-video
Last edited by tenia on Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoloswegmaster

#117 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:18 am

Did you get to talk to people at Lumiere festival who were able to see the Ritrovata restorations for the Infernal Affairs trilogy?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#118 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:27 am

Unfortunately, I haven't. The only things I've heard through the grapevine is that it looked OK overall (including the grading) but these weren't the sharpest 4K restorations ever. My understanding is that it might have been grain managed to some extent, maybe à la Memories of Murder. Take this with a huge quantity of salt, though.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#119 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:13 am

It's been quite some time I haven't updated this, since I instead manage an equivalent listing on Testsbluray.com, but I stumbled upon this, so we can add Flic Story to the Ritrovata'd movies, and I've taken the occasion to start updating the list. The current count roughly is 100 movies (+ the Varda set) for Ritrovata and 116 (+ the Varda set) for Eclair.

Since the last update, there's also been interesting developments in that some Ritrovata restorations have been color-corrected in Germany, such as 1900 and The Lover.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#121 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Very interesting stuff — thanks for posting. I agree wholeheartedly with the author that color timing in restorations doesn’t get discussed enough even in preservation circles. That the present will always affect how we view the past is an issue I wish more moving image archivists would discuss/contend with.

Matt

Ritrovata and Eclair Cinematic Universes

#122 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:16 pm

Okay, which one of you is Bingham Bryant?

senseabove

#123 Post by senseabove » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:23 pm

I mean, one of our regulars is extensively quoted in the article, but I don't think he was interviewing himself!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#124 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:23 am

I've just watched Beyond The Infinite Two Minutes yesterday evening but this interview wasn't done with myself through a Time TV !
I can however confirm Bingham is at least a regular reader here, and possibly has an account (though I don't remember this precisely). That's, IIRC, how he stumbled on the restoration of the Guy Debord.

In any case, I'm quite happy to see this kind of researches being more formally compiled in the English world (and I'm particularly happy by how Bingham summarized the aim of my article and my current position on the overall issue). Hopefully, it will help feeding some thoughts within the industry, since it still doesn't seem to be of enough interest for professionnals to have the same deep reflexion people like Bingham, me and others are having despite not all of us even being from within the industry.rmed

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#125 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:18 am

DVD Classik published an extensive review of the French Dario Argento BD set released a few months by Les films du Camélia.

No surprise regarding the gradings : Cat O Nine Tails and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage are both released in obvious Ritrovata'd gradings, while the Cinecitta gradings look like Cinecitta gradings.

It is however interesting to note that Profondo Rosso gets yet ANOTHER color grading, meaning it's at least the 6th one : the one released on DVD by Anchor Bay (1), the one released on BD by Blue Underground (2), the one prepped up by Ritrovata in 2015 (3), which served as a basis but got corrected by them for Arrow for their 2016 BD (4), the one done by Silver Salt for the 2021 Arrow UHD based on a new scan (5), and now the one done by Cinecitta (seemingly based on the 2015 scan) (6).