Daiei releases three Machiko Kyo DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
esl

Daiei releases three Machiko Kyo DVDs

#1 Post by esl » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:13 am

I don’t see this having been posted - but a year ago in April, the following three Daiei Studio movies starring Machiko Kyo were relased:

Odoriko (Dancing Girl) 1957 dir: Hiroshi Shimizu
Oden Jigoku 1960 dir: Keigo Kimura
Asakusa no Yoru (Asakusa Nights) 1954 dir: Kôji Shima

All three are region 2, Japanese language with no English subtitles. While the cover pictures are in color all three films are black and white.

As the blub says for the releases: “To commemorate the first death anniversary of Japanese great actress, Machiko Kyo, three works starring her become available on DVD for the first time!”

I just ordered Odoriko as I am a big fan of Shimizu and any new release of one of his films is a must for me. If anyone has seen either of the other two movies please provide your thoughts on them. I’ve never heard of them.

Would love it if more late Shimizu films were released by Daiei or the other studios that have the rights to his films especially his films centered around children such as ‘Children and the Great Buddha’(Daibutsu sama to kodomotachi).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Daiei releases three Machiko Kyo DVDs

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:08 pm

esl -- Looking forward to your report on Odoriko, which is a Shimizu film I have never seen (or heard anything about).