Jean Eustache on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Awesome Welles

#26 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

AE do seem to be knocking out their DVD boxes pretty quickly these days - even the Bressons are finally turning up. I had the good fortune of being able to see La Maman et la Putain on video recently, and am greatly intrigued to see his other work.

For those who don't know much about the film or are interested, Jonathan Rosenbaum gives a great review here.

backstreetsbackalright

#27 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:16 pm

Retrospective running in DC. Keep hope alive...

justeleblanc

#28 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:18 pm

backstreetsbackalright wrote:Retrospective running in DC. Keep hope alive...
For what it's worth I'll be there for each screening.

backstreetsbackalright

#29 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm

justeleblanc wrote:For what it's worth I'll be there for each screening.
I'm very jealous! We'll expect reports.

justeleblanc

#30 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Though because most of the screenings are free and on Saturdays and Sundays, those in New York can come down via the boltbus (only 2 bucks round trip and free wireless). Seems kinda crazy, yes, but its doable.

Though I just realized that I will be missing the 4/21 Monday night screening of The Little Lovers since I'll be in St Louis. Phooey!

acquarello

#31 Post by acquarello » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:21 am

FYI - NYC is getting the Jean Eustache retro around the same as DC, at the French Institute (Florence Gould Hall on 59th), but since I live in Maryland, I'll be going to the DC one also.

Macintosh

#32 Post by Macintosh » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 pm

acquarello wrote:FYI - NYC is getting the Jean Eustache retro around the same as DC, at the French Institute (Florence Gould Hall on 59th), but since I live in Maryland, I'll be going to the DC one also.
OH SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS!!!! That may just be the news of the year for me. Thanks for pointing it out and you better believe i'll be at every one of those screenings.

sidehacker

#33 Post by sidehacker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Naked Childhood
L’enfance nue
Tuesday, April 15 at 12:30 & 7pm
Maurice Pialat, 1969. Color. 83 min.
With Raoul Billerey, Maurice Coussonneau, Pierrette Deplanque, Linda Gutemberg. In French with English subtitles.
(!)

PimpPanda

#34 Post by PimpPanda » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:20 pm

I think the Eustache retrospective is coming to Toronto in the summer.

sharunasbresson

Re: Jean Eustache on DVD

#35 Post by sharunasbresson » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 am

Still no news about a Jean Eustache boxset?

my wish is a boxset just because i've always thought that the best eustache achievement arte the less likely to come out as single issues:

thinking about Le cochon, La rosiere de Pessac and Les photos d'Alix

Stefan Andersson

#36 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:21 am

A 7-DVD "Integrale" Jean Eustache box set has been announced by French DVD distributor Tamasa. Check the banner announcement here.

No further info on the site at the moment.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 pm

At last! Unfortunately, a quick look at their recent releases suggests we shouldn't expect English subs.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#38 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:Check the banner announcement here.
It doesn't look like it's up there anymore.

gyorgys

#39 Post by gyorgys » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm

It is.

Stefan Andersson

#40 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 am

Tamasa´s Eustache box is now expected in November 2011. Earlier announcement was premature according to a French-language post at dvdclassik.com. No info on Tamasa´s website. Poster must have another source.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#41 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:A 7-DVD "Integrale" Jean Eustache box set has been announced by French DVD distributor Tamasa. Check the banner announcement here.

No further info on the site at the moment.
Any updates on this set? There's nothing on Amazon France, but the banner is still on Tamasa's site.

Saturnome

#42 Post by Saturnome » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Amazingly, according to their website, they only take snail mail or phone calls. No e-mail address to be found.

fabricedeldongo

#43 Post by fabricedeldongo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 pm

The Tamasa box set will almost certainly not happen, despite the banner on their site. It's the usual problem with Boris Badonov. http://cinema.nouvelobs.com/articles/14 ... ie-des-dvd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lastrade

#44 Post by lastrade » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:36 am

any french speakers out there able to give a summary of what that article says?

charal

#45 Post by charal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Automatic translation from Google Chrome:

Assigns one hand, producers and distributors on the other: the strongest are not necessarily those that are growing.

Film fans moan. Or even get upset outright. "It's very shocking that hides behind Boris Eustache administrative problems or susceptibility to deny the DVD release of films of his father," is the filmmaker Luc Beraud annoys, assistant director of "the Mother and the Whore. " Same story on the Net where one challenges the financial greed of the heir. However, cyclically, for years, the release video of "the Mother and the Whore" is announced. A box full of 13's films is even promised for late 2012 or early 2013 by the company Tamasa, distributing films Eustache. "It's a bit early to get a more precise release date, says Philippe Chevassu, director of society, but we will start to get on with the restoration. " Wonderful news awaited the appearance of the digital disc, or over fifteen years! Alas, it will not happen. "As long as you want me to sign contracts that commit me for ten years and we will not give me 50% of copyright, I will not , said Boris Eustache straightforward. Sorry for moviegoers, but if they want to sell their business to a quarter of their price, that's their problem. I refuse. " In the movie business as elsewhere, difficulties arise when it comes to money.

What are the rights of the heirs? The authors in France benefit from legal protection particularly elaborate, long remained unrivaled in the world. Under the code of intellectual property rights of authors or their heirs, are both moral and economic. Moral rights are inalienable, imprescriptible and perpetual. The heirs may exercise this right even if the work has fallen into the public domain or is not exploited. Economic rights give the author an exclusive property right that allows it to authorize or prohibit the reproduction and public performance of his work. This prerogative is acknowledged to the author throughout his life, and assigns during the seventy years following the death of the author. But moral and economic rights may be distinct. So, Peter Berger is the holder of moral rights of Mac Orlan's work but it is the mayor of Saint-Cyr-sur-Morin manage the economic rights of the author of "Dock of Goldsmiths." And, to complicate matters, in the audiovisual field, the authorship is known to all co-creators of the work: writer, screenwriter, author of the adaptation, the musical composition, adapted to the existing work, and director. So many people and so many heirs who may disagree.

This is also what blocks the DVD release of four films of Pagnol: "Regain", "Angela", "Women of the baker" and "Jofroi". Their common? Be adapted to all works of Jean Giono. Since the trial that the writer has brought to plagiarism Marcel Pagnol, the atmosphere has hardly relaxed among the heirs. "One was a man of letters, the other a merchant, a man of money, vituperates still Sylvie Durbret-Giono, sole heir of her father. However, I have nothing against the release of these films provided that the contract the two names and commercial rights and literary. "

If Nicolas Pagnol, support, within the Mediterranean Film Company, the memory of the work of his grandfather, prefers to remain evasive about the difficulties that oppose the daughter of Jean Giono, he does not hide his questions about this great protection for authors. "When you see that great catalog films are blocked for more than ten years, the State should be able to decide. "" The state has other roles, tempers Soulet Jerome, director at Gaumont video. But it could provide for mediation and arbitration. It is true that the moral rights invoked by the heirs of the fourth generation ... When there are different people in an estate, the real problems begin. But if it is that stories of money, there is always a solution. It is normal to have lively discussions, but at Gaumont, we avoid getting angry. Otherwise, the work is no longer visible. "

charal

#46 Post by charal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Automatic translation from Google Chrome:

Assigns one hand, producers and distributors on the other: the strongest are not necessarily those that are growing.

Film fans moan. Or even get upset outright. "It's very shocking that hides behind Boris Eustache administrative problems or susceptibility to deny the DVD release of films of his father," is the filmmaker Luc Beraud annoys, assistant director of "the Mother and the Whore. " Same story on the Net where one challenges the financial greed of the heir. However, cyclically, for years, the release video of "the Mother and the Whore" is announced. A box full of 13's films is even promised for late 2012 or early 2013 by the company Tamasa, distributing films Eustache. "It's a bit early to get a more precise release date, says Philippe Chevassu, director of society, but we will start to get on with the restoration. " Wonderful news awaited the appearance of the digital disc, or over fifteen years! Alas, it will not happen. "As long as you want me to sign contracts that commit me for ten years and we will not give me 50% of copyright, I will not , said Boris Eustache straightforward. Sorry for moviegoers, but if they want to sell their business to a quarter of their price, that's their problem. I refuse. " In the movie business as elsewhere, difficulties arise when it comes to money.

What are the rights of the heirs? The authors in France benefit from legal protection particularly elaborate, long remained unrivaled in the world. Under the code of intellectual property rights of authors or their heirs, are both moral and economic. Moral rights are inalienable, imprescriptible and perpetual. The heirs may exercise this right even if the work has fallen into the public domain or is not exploited. Economic rights give the author an exclusive property right that allows it to authorize or prohibit the reproduction and public performance of his work. This prerogative is acknowledged to the author throughout his life, and assigns during the seventy years following the death of the author. But moral and economic rights may be distinct. So, Peter Berger is the holder of moral rights of Mac Orlan's work but it is the mayor of Saint-Cyr-sur-Morin manage the economic rights of the author of "Dock of Goldsmiths." And, to complicate matters, in the audiovisual field, the authorship is known to all co-creators of the work: writer, screenwriter, author of the adaptation, the musical composition, adapted to the existing work, and director. So many people and so many heirs who may disagree.

This is also what blocks the DVD release of four films of Pagnol: "Regain", "Angela", "Women of the baker" and "Jofroi". Their common? Be adapted to all works of Jean Giono. Since the trial that the writer has brought to plagiarism Marcel Pagnol, the atmosphere has hardly relaxed among the heirs. "One was a man of letters, the other a merchant, a man of money, vituperates still Sylvie Durbret-Giono, sole heir of her father. However, I have nothing against the release of these films provided that the contract the two names and commercial rights and literary. "

If Nicolas Pagnol, support, within the Mediterranean Film Company, the memory of the work of his grandfather, prefers to remain evasive about the difficulties that oppose the daughter of Jean Giono, he does not hide his questions about this great protection for authors. "When you see that great catalog films are blocked for more than ten years, the State should be able to decide. "" The state has other roles, tempers Soulet Jerome, director at Gaumont video. But it could provide for mediation and arbitration. It is true that the moral rights invoked by the heirs of the fourth generation ... When there are different people in an estate, the real problems begin. But if it is that stories of money, there is always a solution. It is normal to have lively discussions, but at Gaumont, we avoid getting angry. Otherwise, the work is no longer visible. "

Saturnome

#47 Post by Saturnome » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 pm

The article is 2 pages long and mostly goes on about heirs blocking various films (Eustache, Duvivier's La Belle Équipe, Various Pagnol films including a favorite of mine La Femme du Boulanger, 1979 Nosferatu's German soundtrack, etc). We need a Robin Hood with a 2k scanner.

JacquesQ

#48 Post by JacquesQ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:05 am

My opinion is : when greed combines with ill-placed vanity to the incredible extent that it does in such dumbheads as Eustache's son, whose only achievement in life was to have Eustache as his father (or, for that matter, writer Jean Giono's daughter who blocks at least 4 of Pagnol's films from being released for the same stinking reasons), those people fully deserve to be deprived of their "rights" entirely. What happened in the legislators' heads when they decreed that copyright should remain the heirs' property for SEVENTY years after the authors' death ??? Am I to wait until I'm 88 years old in 2051 to see La Maman et la Putain again ?
Anyway : I eventually managed to get copies of Mes petites amoureuses (only to be had through France's Centre National de Documentation Pédagogique that somehow circumvened Boris Eustache's looniness, but that means you have to be a French school or university to get access to it), Le Jardin des délices de Jérôme Bosch and Offre d'emploi (two shorts that came as a bonus DVD with a now defunct French magazine just called Cinéma in its issue # 06), Les Mauvaises Fréquentations, Le Père Noël a les yeux bleus, Une Sale Histoire, Les Photos d'Alix (4 more shorts on one DVD) and La Maman et la Putain (not 5th generation copies from the old VHSs, but the Japanese DVDs, now OOP, that Loony Boris somehow didn't manage to keep out of existence, from unrestored prints admittedly and with genitals slightly blurred the way Japanes censorship likes them, but hey ! noboody's perfect !) - and also, since it was mentioned in the previous post, Pagnol's La Femme du Boulanger, also a favorite of mine (but no subtitles, sorry) -, and I would be more than willing to let other film lovers see them as well. You can PM me if you are interested.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#49 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 pm

The Mother and the Whore at BAM tomorrow.

hearthesilence

#50 Post by hearthesilence » Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone know why this hasn't been available on DVD anywhere? The BFI has only issued it on VHS, and even used copies of that dead format don't come cheap. Amazing that it placed in the top 50 of Sight & Sound's critics poll when it's so hard to find.