Subtitles: Yellow vs White?

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
didi-5

Re: Subtitles: Yellow vs White?

#101 Post by didi-5 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 am

Not an international DVD, but the subtitling on All I Desire (a b/w film) in the Directed by Douglas Sirk set is PINK! Horrible.

zedz

#102 Post by zedz » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

It's a 'women's picture,' what do you expect?

manicsounds

#103 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm

mvp

#104 Post by mvp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 am

I've read the entire thread and people are adamant about white subtitles. It seems that almost no one actually prefere yellow subtitles. Some might think they are fine, but no one expressed they prefer yellow. And I do think there is value in using a bright and non white color. I was born in a country that does not speak English, so we were used to have subtitles in every film, tv shows... everything. Every movie from the US had to be subtitled, so there was a lot of reading to do. Today, if I want the movie in English without subtitles, I can just remove them, but I had to learn English before being able to do it. And it took me a long time to learn. In the meantime, yellow was just easier to read. And it is still is. Even with thin borders, white can blend with the background and become very hard to read sometimes. Although people commented here that yellow pops out and it is distracting, I don't see the point of the argument. You are going to look at every line to read the subtitles anyway. How can something that you have to look at be considered distracting? The best subtitles are the ones that last just the amount of time needed for you to read it on screen. And the easier it is to read, the better. Subtitles are not part of the experience, it is a tool to aid comprehension. Unless the producers want to include a foreign language with subtitles, they usually don't film with subtitles in mind. White and yellow will both be distracting. But since they are necessary, I vote for the most readable.

Today, with streaming and all that, the standard is white, but whenever possible I change the settings to yellow.

Sternhalma Weinstein

#105 Post by Sternhalma Weinstein » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:39 pm