Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Glowingwabbit

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2101 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:45 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:10 am
- Doesn't look like anymore Masumura's although he has so many and i didn't do an in-depth comparison
"MANG" could be Manji.
MANG is The Mangler. The numbers are months. So everything listed 1-3 has been announced already.

Edit: looks like ryannichols7 above beat me to answering this.

Nw_jahrles

#2102 Post by Nw_jahrles » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:30 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:56 pm
Jack Phillips wrote:
Glowingwabbit wrote:
- Doesn't look like anymore Masumura's although he has so many and i didn't do an in-depth comparison
"MANG" could be Manji.
only issue with that is if this was the case, the movie would already be announced. that ended up being The Mangler, though I would much rather see it be Manji

anyone have any idea who the "LM Box" would be? because that appears to be the one James tweeted about being a 'comprehensive Arrow BD box being released next summer'. am I forgetting someone?
If we assume this is the box set Flower tweeted about. Maybe Lucrieca Martel?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2103 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:03 pm

The Martel set seems impossible in the US considering Strand owns Zama and The Headless Woman, Criterion owns La Cienega, and Warner Bros. owns The Holy Girl. Maybe it could be a UK only release? Not sure if Martel seems like Arrow's style too. The Holy Girl certainly seems more like a possibility with Criterion than Arrow.

Speaking of Warner Bros., I would maybe guess "WB Set" is a Warner's set, meaning maybe a new deal? If it is a deal, perhaps the "SFx3" release is the original Street Fighter trilogy for the UK.

"8D" for sure is Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, one of the absolute greatest Shaw Brothers movies. "HM UHD" is probably Holy Mountain on 4K. Considering their love of Tobe Hooper and the possibility of more Warner titles, willing to guess "P Coll" is a Poltergeist collection

Mr. Deltoid

#2104 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:30 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Jack Phillips wrote:
Glowingwabbit wrote:
"MANG" could be Manji.
only issue with that is if this was the case, the movie would already be announced. that ended up being The Mangler, though I would much rather see it be Manji

anyone have any idea who the "LM Box" would be? because that appears to be the one James tweeted about being a 'comprehensive Arrow BD box being released next summer'. am I forgetting someone?
LM Box = Lukas Moodysson?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2105 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Well now if it's not that it'll be a tremendous disappointment

bad future

#2106 Post by bad future » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:30 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
LM Box = Lukas Moodysson?
This is what I was hoping for, and I think it's possible. "LM BOX" was a clue on both lists last year but never materialized, and Fran Simeoni later tweeted that it was delayed. This could correspond with the fact that Fucking Åmål, Lilja 4-Ever and Together were all released on blu-ray last year in Sweden, along with a re-release of We Are the Best!, but it turned out that they were all at 25fps, and a few were heavily DNR'd. If Arrow is working on a set, then maybe correcting those issues would explain the delay.

Someone on the other forum claimed that Fucking Åmål's restoration has a DCP that they say looks great, in addition to the DNR'd version prepared for TV/streaming, and use of the latter on BD was likely a mistake, so hopefully it would be easy enough for a UK/US label to simply get the unadulterated master instead.

dwk

#2107 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:40 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:03 pm
The Martel set seems impossible in the US considering Strand owns Zama and The Headless Woman, Criterion owns La Cienega, and Warner Bros. owns The Holy Girl. Maybe it could be a UK only release? Not sure if Martel seems like Arrow's style too. The Holy Girl certainly seems more like a possibility with Criterion than Arrow.

Speaking of Warner Bros., I would maybe guess "WB Set" is a Warner's set, meaning maybe a new deal? If it is a deal, perhaps the "SFx3" release is the original Street Fighter trilogy for the UK.

"8D" for sure is Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, one of the absolute greatest Shaw Brothers movies. "HM UHD" is probably Holy Mountain on 4K. Considering their love of Tobe Hooper and the possibility of more Warner titles, willing to guess "P Coll" is a Poltergeist collection
Warner doesn't have the UK rights to the Street Fighter trilogy. The rights were with Optimum, but they may be back with Toei (which would make an Arrow release more likely.)

I doubt if Poltergeist will ever get a special edition and I really doubt if Spielberg would allow it to be issued with the sequels.

Yakushima

#2108 Post by Yakushima » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Fran Simeoni on Twitter, responding to a question why Naked Lunch and The Last Emperor are missing from the 2022 list: "They are coming. Loads is missing, this is just a taste of the forthcoming schedule."

Glowingwabbit

#2109 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:01 pm

I'm still hoping LM is Luc Moullet and until its announced otherwise I will keep dreaming.

therewillbeblus

#2110 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Either one would be cool- though Moullet already has a nice DVD box while Fucking Amal's current subs are obnoxiously hardcoded with multiple dialogs printed prematurely, not to mention in need of a new translation

Maltic

#2111 Post by Maltic » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:23 pm

So you get to have new shiny new BDs just because we have (out-of-print) Moullet DVDs? :cry:

Glowingwabbit

#2112 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:56 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:52 pm
Either one would be cool- though Moullet already has a nice DVD box while Fucking Amal's current subs are obnoxiously hardcoded with multiple dialogs printed prematurely, not to mention in need of a new translation
The DVD box doesn't have his shorts which were released without subs plus we'd get special features and some essays. The possibility of any of that is much more desirable than any Moodysson film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2113 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Watch LM stand for Lightning Monsters anyway

beamish14

#2114 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:45 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:40 pm
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Warner doesn't have the UK rights to the Street Fighter trilogy. The rights were with Optimum, but they may be back with Toei (which would make an Arrow release more likely.)

I doubt if Poltergeist will ever get a special edition and I really doubt if Spielberg would allow it to be issued with the sequels.

I don't imagine that Spielberg has any sway with MGM (which is, I think, the only major Hollywood studio he doesn't have an office installed at), and they've already remade it. There has never been a stacked release of the original film, and I'd definitely be curious to see extensive making-of material for Richard Edlund's VFX.

Feego

#2115 Post by Feego » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:45 pm

The first Poltergeist is with Warner Bros., while the sequels are with MGM. But indeed, WB has already released a set with all three, so clearly this is not off the table.

dwk

#2116 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:51 pm

My bad, I was not aware of that Poltergeiat collection. I assumed that Spielberg would have a the same keep the orignal away from the sequels policy as Jaws.

Maltic

#2117 Post by Maltic » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:13 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Watch LM stand for Lightning Monsters anyway

A Jerry Lewis box set - the Ladies Man

Glowingwabbit

#2118 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:59 am

I kust noticed Arrow has been posting trailers for Hotel Poseidon on their YouTube channel so that's definitely the HP clue for April.

So April should looks something like this:

HP = Hotel Poseidon
8D = 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
CC2 = Chabrol vol 2 (🙏 decent titles this time)
RC = ??? (Japanese title?)
UHD = likely just another upgrade

Finch

#2119 Post by Finch » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 am

The UHD upgrade could be Candyman as that has just received a French 4k disc.

ianungstad

#2120 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:32 pm

In Fran's last teaser he had 13F where UHD TBC is now.

Assuming nothing has changed the UHD should be The 13th Floor.

RC is likely an obscure Japanese film but I'll toss out Remote Control as another potential solution. It's oop and Arrow has worked with the director in the past.

Finch

#2121 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00 pm

teaser for Friday

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2122 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm

Arrow has secured a Disney deal and the first movie is Planes 2.

knives

#2123 Post by knives » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:14 pm

Maybe Corman’s Red Baron film.

Matt

#2124 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 pm

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965)?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2125 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Aren't we getting the second Chabrol set? The airplanes are a reminder of how the first set's announcement bombed