Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Adam X

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2326 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:32 am

Because she edited the previous book, and had therefore shown more active interest in his work. You’ll note I said “slightly”.

Glowingwabbit

#2327 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:27 am

Adam X wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:32 am
Because she edited the previous book, and had therefore shown more active interest in his work. You’ll note I said “slightly”.
I wouldn't put too much stock into that. They both work together constantly and talk Rollin together on their Daughters I'd Darkness podcast. She may have taken lead in editing the book but they are both equally active in their love of Rollin's work.

Telstar

#2328 Post by Telstar » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:54 pm

Sorry, I sort of misread your comment as indicting that some sort of rift had developed between Kat and Samm. (I'm pretty out of the loop on this stuff so my addled brain went to that dark place after noting how Kat-Samm joint commentaries have given way to their solo commentaries. Plus doesn't look like the Daughters of Darkness podcast has had a new episode since Feb 2021)

Adam X

#2329 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 pm

Not a problem, it’s easy to do when there’s no tone of voice to go with a brief comment, or the sentence is badly written. I took your question the wrong way too!

I think they’re both just very busy with their own projects. Not that more DoD wouldn’t be a good thing, though they’ve both gone on to other collaborative podcasts that helped fill that gap.

yoloswegmaster

#2330 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:11 am

October titles:

Videodrome 4K
Count Yorga Collection
Gothic Fantastico: Four Italian Tales Of Terror
Two Witches
Take Back the Night

ryannichols7

#2331 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:25 am

what a month to be a fan of .... literally any other genre.

in fairness to Arrow, Criterion, Indicator, and Eureka followed the same pattern. now I'm curious when Criterion will release the Cronenberg stateside

Finch

#2332 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:33 pm

The new Videodrome 4k has been encoded by Fidelity in Motion and QC'd by Geoff D who says the restoration is a stunner. Time to offload my Blu-Ray Limited Edition.

MichaelB

#2333 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:35 pm

It looked great on the big screen in Bologna, although obviously that wasn’t the disc encode.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2334 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:46 pm

The new 4K won't have the bonus shorts though (which are available separately)

Finch

#2335 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 pm

Can anyone chime in on the four films in the Italian Gothic set? The most intriguing title in this month's line-up for me.

Thornycroft

#2336 Post by Thornycroft » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:39 am

The only one I've seen is The Third Eye which I watched last year based on an intriguing write-up in Roberto Curti's book on '60s Italian gothics. I would classify it primarily as a curiosity, mostly notable for an unusually stiff and awkward performance from Franco Nero and several plot points that would later turn up in Joe D'Amato's notorious Beyond the Darkness. Not a terrible film but surprisingly bland considering the subject matter. I would go into greater detail but the particulars faded from my memory very quickly after watching it.

M Sanderson

#2337 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:03 am

Arrow speculation isn’t what it used to be. Anyone able to confirm or deny anything regarding more Mike Hodges, and Joe Carnahan’s Narc?

dwk

#2338 Post by dwk » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Sounds like Coffin Joe Blu-rays are no longer possible as the negatives were lost in a fire.. (I assume Synapse were talking about the 2021 Cinemateca Brasileira fire.)

Glowingwabbit

#2339 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm
Sounds like Coffin Joe Blu-rays are no longer possible as the negatives were lost in a fire.. (I assume Synapse were talking about the 2021 Cinemateca Brasileira fire.)
So wait, there were two fires? Because I remember the news about the Cinemateca Brasileira fire, but I'm almost certain the news about Arrow doing a set came months later which I assumed meant something usable was found. So now I'm confused.

Peacock

#2340 Post by Peacock » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:38 pm

dwk wrote:
Ah no, so does that mean we’ll never see a blu-ray of La Regle du Jeu or The Wizard of Oz?

8-[

Sad news though, hopefully good prints survive.

dwk

#2341 Post by dwk » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:15 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm
So wait, there were two fires? Because I remember the news about the Cinemateca Brasileira fire, but I'm almost certain the news about Arrow doing a set came months later which I assumed meant something usable was found. So now I'm confused.
The Arrow deal was announced after the fire, but it could have been made before the fire or the licensor could have simply lied to Arrow about their materials. Who knows. Maybe someone from Arrow can clarify the situation.

[/quote]
Peacock wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:38 pm
Ah no, so does that mean we’ll never see a blu-ray of La Regle du Jeu or The Wizard of Oz?

8-[

Sad news though, hopefully good prints survive.
Given the poor state the negatives were in before being burned up, and how devastating that fire was, it wouldn't shock me if there are no pre-print material left. Maybe someone can find something suitable, but it seems like a long shot.

Radiance

#2342 Post by Radiance » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:28 am

The Coffin Joe deal (not my deal), was done pre fire and we were last told, shortly before I left Arrow, that the material was unaffected. But access was yet to be sought so who knows what the future holds. I am sure whatever happens that Arrow will do the very best it can on these titles and will represent the best that can be achieved for these titles.

La regle du jeu has just been restored in 4k and played at l'immagine ritrovata in Bologna this year.

dwk

#2343 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am

Thanks for clarifying some of the situation with Coffin Joe. Hopefully the licensor was correct/honest about the materials and Synapse's answer was just a bit of miscommunication.

kubelkind

#2344 Post by kubelkind » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:01 pm

dwk wrote:
Though curiously several Zé do Caixão titles by Jose Mojica Marins are doing the rounds in HD quality on back channels these days. Don't know the source. They don't look like upscales to me, either.

dwk

#2345 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:08 pm

I'm pretty sure those were done for television a few years ago. I don't know if they are diac worthy transfer or not. Or if those masters still exist, as it is possible that those were lost in the fire.

JamesF

#2346 Post by JamesF » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:54 am

I'm going to give Don the benefit of the doubt and hope someone misquoted him, but the above simply isn't true - the Coffin Joe negatives weren't destroyed in the archive fire (they were in a totally different building), the project isn't cancelled and we are still using the negatives to restore the majority of the features, which are being scanned in Brazil. (The negatives for some of the earlier films have degraded over time, so we will mostly be using interpositives made in the 1990s for these instead. In any event, they'll look better than they ever have done.) Don't expect it to be released in the immediate future - certainly not before the end of 2022 - but fear not Zé do Caixão fans, he will rise again on Arrow Video!

dwk

#2347 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 am

That is great news James. Sorry I've help spread a bit of fake information.
Last edited by dwk on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin

#2348 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:54 pm

It was also reported at the time that the fire affected a warehouse that stored prints with no negatives on site.

rapta

#2349 Post by rapta » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:52 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:03 am
Arrow speculation isn’t what it used to be. Anyone able to confirm or deny anything regarding more Mike Hodges, and Joe Carnahan’s Narc?
Hodges' Croupier is coming from Arrow in the near future! Was confirmed some months ago I believe.

annakarina

#2350 Post by annakarina » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 am

Peacock wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:38 pm
Not sure if it will be a worthwhile purchase given the quality of the source materials, but La Regle du Jeu is coming out in a week in France on UHD, seemingly with English subtitles: https://www.amazon.fr/R%C3%A8gle-Jeu-4K ... B09ZCYSC1D