Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

M Sanderson

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2351 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm

rapta wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:52 pm
M Sanderson wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:03 am
Arrow speculation isn’t what it used to be. Anyone able to confirm or deny anything regarding more Mike Hodges, and Joe Carnahan’s Narc?
Hodges' Croupier is coming from Arrow in the near future! Was confirmed some months ago I believe.
That’s cool. I believe the rumour was Croupier - and more?

yoloswegmaster

#2352 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:23 am

This is for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which will be a 4K release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2353 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Great movie, the WB Blu is OOP so been keeping an eye out for it, this will no doubt be even better

yoloswegmaster

#2354 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:52 pm

2 titles have leaked:

therewillbeblus

#2355 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Nice, finally we'll get that Glenn Kenny + Nick Pinkerton commentary on Wolf

dwk

#2356 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm

More titles leaked:
Audrey Rose
Incredible But True

yoloswegmaster

#2357 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:30 pm

They will also be releasing Quentin Dupieux's Incredible But True.

I was hoping to see a Lukas Moodyson box but I'm guessing no more boxsets since we are already getting the Shawscope set that month

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2358 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:48 pm
Great movie, the WB Blu is OOP so been keeping an eye out for it, this will no doubt be even better
I know it is not a unique opinion to say it's incredibly clear Costner was a poor choice for Robin Hood, but it is a well-made adventure/swashbuckler kind of film outside of that, which I think Kevin Reynolds has/had a natural knack for. I rewatched his Count of Monte Cristo a couple of weeks ago and that was a damn fun film, too. Also doesn't hurt he cast the right actors in the villain roles (Alan Rickman and Guy Pearce, respectively).

Finch

#2359 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:16 pm

At first glance nothing for me which my wallet is very grateful for; I'd like to see the Dupieux first before buying.

Finch

#2360 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:38 pm

So, since Wolf of Wall St from Arrow is a thing after all, I guess Inglourious Basterds is still on (which fans may only want to get for the bonus features since the US UHD is a very good 2k upscale)?

If it's available to them, I'd welcome Arrow doing a 2k/4k scan of the Japanese version of The Grudge in 2023/24. Since Ringu is getting a 4k French release, it'd be odd for Arrow not to follow suit (though I'd prefer Dark Water and Kurosawa's Pulse) next year.

CSM126

#2361 Post by CSM126 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:41 pm

That is some fugly packaging all around.

bad future

#2362 Post by bad future » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:30 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:38 pm
If it's available to them, I'd welcome Arrow doing a 2k/4k scan of the Japanese version of The Grudge in 2023/24. Since Ringu is getting a 4k French release, it'd be odd for Arrow not to follow suit (though I'd prefer Dark Water and Kurosawa's Pulse) next year.
I wonder how possible a 4k version of Pulse is. Most sources list it as shot on 35mm, but the look of the film has always reminded me of digital video from that era, if not quite as low res. The contrast seems low, and the grain is pretty heavy. Makes me wonder if it had an unusual post production process to arrive at that aesthetic, and if so, if that would lend itself to a 4k scan. If anyone has any info or suppositions, I'd love to hear! (though maybe I'd have better luck addressing that to a more appropriate thread.)

Cash Flagg

#2363 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:34 pm

Oh man, what an absolutely brutal slate! As a backer, I’ll be instantly offloading all three of the catalog turkeys, though for once the new film actually looks mildly interesting.

Doubtlessly the film bros on the other site are ten pages deep into celebratory Wolf GIFS and memes.

Matt

#2364 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:29 am

CSM126 wrote:That is some fugly packaging all around.
The Robin Hood line illustrations are really cool, I wish they could have used that for the whole package.

The Wolf packaging is a bit redolent of the 2008 Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition that included the imitation leather passport holder and luggage tag, but I’m sure the film bros will eat it up.

therewillbeblus

#2365 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:55 am

It’s also a great movie with a long-awaited commentary by two respected film scholars. Who cares about packaging when you have strong content

ryannichols7

#2366 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:55 am
It’s also a great movie with a long-awaited commentary by two respected film scholars. Who cares about packaging when you have strong content
literally all I care about. I'm not a fan of the film at all (sorry, Scorcese heads) but I would listen to Kenny and Pinkerton talk about basically any film - their track on Indicator's The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T is incredible and amplified my love for that film even more. and even separately they bring great tracks. so to have the two together for 2.5 hours on a film with plenty to talk about, regardless of quality, is enough to get me to purchase. I know the current US UHD of Wolf is supposed to be problematic so this edition has even more reason to exist, but I imagine for many the packaging/extras (who knows what else will be included until the morning) will be a big sell

EDIT: just checked the Zavvi listing again, extras listed below! and what a good package this is, very scholarly compared to the Criterion Scorcese titles (naturally)
SpoilerShow
Fully illustrated 60-page collectors book containing new writing by film critics Sean Hogan, Will Menaker, and Jourdain Searles
Limited Edition packaging featuring The Wolf of Wall Street luxury ‘wallet’, American Excess Credit Card, Business Card, and Stratton Oakmont Banknote
Reversible sleeve featuring two choices of artwork
Disc One: Feature & Extras (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray)

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-Ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of a director-approved 4K transfer
Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film critics Glenn Kenny and Nick Pinkerton
Brand new introduction by film historian Ian Christie, editor of Scorsese on Scorsese
Theatrical trailer

Disc Two: Extras (Blu-ray)

Brand new interview with screenwriter Terence Winter
Brand new interview with production designer Bob Shaw
Wall Street After Hours, a brand new visual essay by film critic Simon Ward on the dark humour of Martin Scorsese
Planet Hollywolf, a brand new visual essay by film critics Matty Budrewicz and Dave Wain on Jordan Belfort’s lesser known career as a low budget movie producer
The Wolf Pack, an archival featurette exploring Martin Scorsese’s take on the story and the characters involved
Running Wild, an archival featurette taking a closer look at the filmmaking process and key creative team
The Wolf of Wall Street Roundtable, an archival featurette with director Martin Scorsese, writer Terence Winter and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill in conversation
Behind the Scenes, documentary footage shot during filming
TV spots
Image gallery

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2367 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:51 am

I like that the movie is finally getting a bit more editorial content but it still doesn't feel much. It actually isn't far from what several releases offer, ie industrially throwing audio commentaries (it seems routine now to have 3 or 4 audio commentaries included), adding a couple interviews from not the main cast not the director, and the usual booklet (plus possibly a visual essay about a related theme).

It's sometimes a bit better (like having the writer and production designer here), but it sometimes can feel like there are 2 hours of new extras but it's actually with the assistant to the assistant director, the on-set cook, the 2nd wife of the DP's son and a background extra.

I don't mind those, they can be fun and enlightening and I suppose the obvious persons to include simply weren't available, but it can still feel too peripherical.

rapta

#2368 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:46 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:38 pm
So, since Wolf of Wall St from Arrow is a thing after all, I guess Inglourious Basterds is still on (which fans may only want to get for the bonus features since the US UHD is a very good 2k upscale)?

Been voting for The Grudge as my most-wanted Arrow title in their end-of-year poll, at least since they finally announced the Jodorowsky set (and The Thing, but that was always inevitable). Was pleased to see when more and more people agreed with me as it has been in the past few IIRC.

Not entirely certain Inglourious Basterds is still on or not, since Universal have already done at least five separate UHD editions in the UK already. Feel like Arrow would have to go quite hard on the extras to justify a release, and short of getting Tarantino himself, I'm not sure what they could include. I'd like to see them try, though!
tenia wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:51 am
It's sometimes a bit better (like having the writer and production designer here), but it sometimes can feel like there are 2 hours of new extras but it's actually with the assistant to the assistant director, the on-set cook, the 2nd wife of the DP's son and a background extra.
I cook for a living, so I'd love to be an on-set cook on some big film, if only so I could be interviewed for a Blu-ray and keep steering the conversation towards food... :lol:

In all seriousness though, Terence Winter is a particularly good person to interview, and perhaps second only to Scorsese himself. I doubt Scorsese would've been up for a chat, except if it wasn't Criterion, as I'm sure he's still working on his new film (amongst other things).

tolbs1010

#2369 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 pm

For the past two days I've been mistakenly thinking, "Why is everyone getting so excited about a 4K of Mike Nichols' Wolf"?

Actually, I'd probably rather see that than suffer through Wolf Of Wall Street again.

Maltic

#2370 Post by Maltic » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:37 pm

1994 was the weirdest year in upscale horror kitsch: Wolf, Interview with the Vampire and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2371 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:52 pm

bad future wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:30 pm
I wonder how possible a 4k version of Pulse is. Most sources list it as shot on 35mm, but the look of the film has always reminded me of digital video from that era, if not quite as low res. The contrast seems low, and the grain is pretty heavy. Makes me wonder if it had an unusual post production process to arrive at that aesthetic, and if so, if that would lend itself to a 4k scan. If anyone has any info or suppositions, I'd love to hear! (though maybe I'd have better luck addressing that to a more appropriate thread.)
It wasn't that unusual, it just underwent a bleach bypass with the result that the colors were desaturated and the grain boosted. The original U.S. and UK DVDs appear to have been transferred from a different element sans the bleach bypass, and as such look completely different (cf. the DVDBeaver comparison). I haven't seen anything about a new 4K remaster of the film, but Imagica recently struck new 35mm print using the same process and timing as the original 2001 prints.

bad future

#2372 Post by bad future » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:48 pm

Thank you! I went back through most of the supplements on the Arrow disc last night but didn't catch anything about this (good disc though, and with my luck the answer was probably in one of the vfx features I didn't get to.) The film's themes probably just had me wanting it to be something more uniquely 2001 and digital, but bleach-bypass was having a big moment in the early aughts so it's not not timely - thanks a lot for the info!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2373 Post by cdnchris » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:29 am
CSM126 wrote:That is some fugly packaging all around.
The Robin Hood line illustrations are really cool, I wish they could have used that for the whole package.

The Wolf packaging is a bit redolent of the 2008 Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition that included the imitation leather passport holder and luggage tag, but I’m sure the film bros will eat it up.
Yeah, it looks a bit obnoxious. I was holding off on the Paramount 4K to see what Arrow was planning but am a little turned off by that. Still, the commentary makes this the one I'll still go with.

Also, I'm surprised at the absolute contempt being thrown towards Wolf of Wall Street in this thread (Robin Hood not so much). Jesus, did we all decide films that Film Bros. like are a no-go now? Do I need to write-off the entirety of A24's output as well?

Matt

Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2374 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Oh, no, I don’t mean that at all. I like the film and most films Film Bros like and most A24 films. Just generally poking lighthearted fun at the kind of guys who like the film because they think Jordan Belfort is cool and who would see no irony in packaging that includes a fake AMEX black card caked with fake cocaine.

Sorry, I’m obsessed with Nathan Fielder and layered irony right now, so I mean almost nothing I say lately.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2375 Post by cdnchris » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:51 pm

Sorry, wasn't targeting your comment specifically (bad segue on my part and i got it was a joke, because of course it will appeal to a certain film fan), but I had been noticing a certain hostility towards the film here and on social media with mentions of film bros. scattered about and I was surprised by it.