Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2376 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am

This could be a clue for a Silent Running UHD release since Michael Mackenzie had very recently logged it on Letterboxd with a "4K UHD" tag.

What A Disgrace

#2377 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am

At last, a 4K Blu-ray of Sh! The Octopus.

L.A.

#2378 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:39 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:11 am
October titles:

Gothic Fantastico: Four Italian Tales Of Terror
Beaver.

dwk

#2379 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:31 pm

US releases seem to have leaked:
Silent Running UHD
Nightmare at Noon
The Leech

yoloswegmaster

#2380 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:03 pm

Disappointing end to what has been a pretty meh year. I'm grateful and happy they went strong with their Shaw Bros output but I'm hoping that can start to release more Golden Harvest titles that hasn't been put out already by other labels.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2381 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:53 pm

Sadly have to agree. Arrow has been my favorite label for years, but this year was quite a disappointment. I'm at least looking forward to the second Shaw set and hope next year is more robust.

dwk

#2382 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:31 pm

I've bought more Arrow releases this year than any other label except 88 Films, but it still will end up only being 6 releases (I think the number of 88 releases is only going to end up being 7 .):
Shock
Come Drink With Me
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
One-Armed Boxer
Running Out of Time 1 & 2
Shawscope Vol. 2

For a number of reasons I just haven't been picking up very many releases and I don't expect this to change anytime soon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2383 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 pm

But the Chabrols!

What A Disgrace

#2384 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 pm

I'm pretty happy with their genre-related boxed sets, and I'm super excited to dive into Fugitive From The Past, but this definitely feels like a weaker year for them.

therewillbeblus

#2385 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:20 pm

Maybe we get Fucking Amal and Le Boucher and Les bonnes femmes for V Day

ryannichols7

#2386 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:59 am

I don't think we can rule out the rumored Moodysson set as a UK only release, and those haven't leaked yet. it's unfortunately likely that We Are the Best! will restrict a US release from happening, since its held by Magnolia here. if that set does come, it'll make December all the better.

so being a non-horror fan, Arrow of 2022 appears to have little for me. nonetheless I felt they did some really cool stuff. I bought..

Red Angel
Fassbinder 2+3
Chabrol 1+2
Come Drink With Me
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Rogue Cops and Racketeers
To Sleep As so is to Dream
A Fugitive From the Past
Shawscope 2

so they did better than even I'd give them credit for. I do wish they'd done Masumura's Kisses and Manji but hopefully in 2023. more rescues like those and A Fugitive From the Past and I'll be OK. please less of the middling 90s studio fare on 4K

Finch

#2387 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:04 am

It wasn't a great year but I was grateful for those releases (though admittedly if it wasn't for the Japanese titles I'd grumble more):

Henry 4k
Tenebrae 4k
Red Angel (even though it's disappointing that it's going to be superseded by a reportedly superior French edition so soon)
Chabrol Vol 2
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
To Sleep As so is to Dream
A Fugitive From the Past

By comparison, I only bought the two Mexican films from Indicator (plus preorders of Remember the Night and The Big Gundown) all year, just one title from MoC with The Most Dangerous Game and many (though not all) of Eureka's 2022 HK titles. I want to stress that I don't mean this to be a sleight on the quality of the MoC or Indicator's line-ups, just that there was little of personal interest for me this year.

yoloswegmaster

#2388 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:21 am

They will also be UK-only releases for Croupier 4K and a Ju-on boxset (only the first film is in 4K).

ryannichols7

#2389 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:21 am
They will also be UK-only releases for Croupier 4K and a Ju-on boxset (only the first film is in 4K).
wow, those are two hugely requested releases to close out the year. that's going to get a good change of heart from folks. the Ju-On set is super comprehensive looking

Finch

#2390 Post by Finch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:39 am

Strong month to finish the year on for Arrow. I do wish though the 4k of Ju-On was available separately as I'm not interested in the other films. Hopefully there's a standalone release next year.

Elizabeth Corday

#2391 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:44 pm

I was hoping A Tale of Two Sisters and Croupier would be US released too. :(

rapta

#2392 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:27 pm

I would agree that it's been a lightweight year for Arrow, but then again this is what I've bought so they must be doing something right:

Dillinger
Red Angel
Shock
Don't Go in the House (LE)
To Sleep So As to Dream
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Rogue Cops & Racketeers (LE)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (LE)
A Fugitive from the Past

And I've just pre-ordered the Ju-on Collection, as it has been one of my most-requested titles for years (and even though I don't have a 4K setup, I don't mind getting it as I want the whole set). Admittedly I bought most of the above in sales/offers, but I did pre-order a couple of them, just not as many as I did in previous years.

Will definitely have to double-dip on Silent Running, pick up Croupier as soon as I can, and there are plenty of others I have my eye on (e.g. Robin Hood, The Wolf of Wall Street, Gothic Fantastico, Chabrol x2).

Vegeta84

#2393 Post by Vegeta84 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Anyone know what happened to the US Angela Mao set? Were those delayed because these US releases might be eating into Eureka's sales? Just feels odd to release them so long after the Eureka release since the two companies are working together on these.

Glowingwabbit

#2394 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Vegeta84 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:16 pm
Anyone know what happened to the US Angela Mao set? Were those delayed because these US releases might be eating into Eureka's sales? Just feels odd to release them so long after the Eureka release since the two companies are working together on these.
My best guess is that it was delayed until 2023 along with a few other titles due to the company doing a couple light months of releases to fix their QC issues.

dwk

#2395 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:37 pm

But they are the exact same disc as the Eureka release, which is already out. I can think of no real reason for the delay. In fact, one would assume, that these joint releases should street in the same month (like the Synapse/Arrow joint releases of Phenomen and Tenebrae.)

Glowingwabbit

#2396 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:01 pm

dwk wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:37 pm
But they are the exact same disc as the Eureka release, which is already out. I can think of no real reason for the delay. In fact, one would assume, that these joint releases should street in the same month (like the Synapse/Arrow joint releases of Phenomen and Tenebrae.)
Did Running Out of Time come out simultaneously? I can't remember. The discs are the same but the packaging is different and we know delays are still happening with printing. Or maybe like someone else suggested it was a deal with Eureka for them to have a window before Arrow released their copy. It's curious that the title was never officially announced which is why I think they just decided to move it back to 2023.

dwk

#2397 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:52 pm

No, but they came out in the same month. The MoC came out on August 1st and the Arrow came out on August 30th.

Finch

#2398 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:37 pm

From the festival Lumiere website (EDIT: regarding Last Emperor)
4K restoration supervised by Turbine Medien, in partnership with Arrow Films and presented in its original aspect ratio in 2.35:1. The anamorphic 35mm camera negative was scanned in 4K at Technicolor in Rome, and the film conformation at Dolby Vision HDR & SDR by Jan Frederik Kuhn and Benjamin Albrecht at LSP Medien, in Uelzen. The restoration was supervised by Christian Bartsch at Turbine Medien, in Munster. Thousands of dust, debris, scratches and other film defects have been repaired or removed with a combination of digital restoration tools and techniques. Image stability and flickering have been improved. More than 230,000 photograms have been restored (234,347 exactly).
Last edited by Finch on Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2399 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:37 pm
From the festival Lumiere website
4K restoration supervised by Turbine Medien, in partnership with Arrow Films and presented in its original aspect ratio in 2.35:1. The anamorphic 35mm camera negative was scanned in 4K at Technicolor in Rome, and the film conformation at Dolby Vision HDR & SDR by Jan Frederik Kuhn and Benjamin Albrecht at LSP Medien, in Uelzen. The restoration was supervised by Christian Bartsch at Turbine Medien, in Munster. Thousands of dust, debris, scratches and other film defects have been repaired or removed with a combination of digital restoration tools and techniques. Image stability and flickering have been improved. More than 230,000 photograms have been restored (234,347 exactly).
What film is this about?

dwk

#2400 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:56 pm

I assume The Last Emperor