Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Grand Wazoo

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2451 Post by Grand Wazoo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:31 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:43 pm
Never seen any of Nico Mastorakis films but are they really that bad?
I enjoyed The Wind and Nightmare At Noon, but those have the unhinged Wings Hauser factor. Eveyrthing else I've seen from him is trash and I'll never understand this partnership he seems to have with Arrow.

yoloswegmaster

#2452 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:26 pm

Apparently Arrow might not be releasing The Frighteners for a while since the 4K restoration done by Turbine is exclusive to them for the next couple of years. This is coming from a Youtube reviewer who claims that sources from Turbine and Universal had told him this. I'm doubting that this is true as I'm not sure why Turbine would be holding exclusivity on this but would allow Crash and The Last Emperor to be released by Arrow.

4LOM

#2453 Post by 4LOM » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:Apparently Arrow might not be releasing The Frighteners for a while since the 4K restoration done by Turbine is exclusive to them for the next couple of years. This is coming from a Youtube reviewer who claims that sources from Turbine and Universal had told him this. I'm doubting that this is true as I'm not sure why Turbine would be holding exclusivity on this but would allow Crash and The Last Emperor to be released by Arrow.
This title is not licensed from Universal, it is a cooperation with Universal Germany (like BLUES BROTHERS before). Turbine confirmed in an interview / YT video with Grobi.TV that the restoration is exclusive to them for four years through this cooperation.

4LOM

#2454 Post by 4LOM » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm

4LOM wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:Apparently Arrow might not be releasing The Frighteners for a while since the 4K restoration done by Turbine is exclusive to them for the next couple of years. This is coming from a Youtube reviewer who claims that sources from Turbine and Universal had told him this. I'm doubting that this is true as I'm not sure why Turbine would be holding exclusivity on this but would allow Crash and The Last Emperor to be released by Arrow.
This title is not licensed from Universal, it is a cooperation with Universal Germany (like BLUES BROTHERS before). Turbine confirmed in an interview / YT video with Grobi.TV that the restoration is exclusive to them for four years through this cooperation.
The link to the Youtube video [TV 46:10] with Christian Bartsch from Turbine Medien: https://youtu.be/3CNDv7zd9jQ?t=2770 [German only but auto translated English subtitles available]

rapta

#2455 Post by rapta » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:46 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:26 pm
Apparently Arrow might not be releasing The Frighteners for a while since the 4K restoration done by Turbine is exclusive to them for the next couple of years. This is coming from a Youtube reviewer who claims that sources from Turbine and Universal had told him this. I'm doubting that this is true as I'm not sure why Turbine would be holding exclusivity on this but would allow Crash and The Last Emperor to be released by Arrow.
I wouldn't take much notice to be honest. Arrow would simply do their own restoration if the Turbine one was withheld, they're perfectly capable of that and in fact tend to do it all in-house more often than not.

yoloswegmaster

#2456 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:05 am

Announcements coming tomorrow:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2457 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:08 am

Probably some movie that has a wall in it

CSM126

#2458 Post by CSM126 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:17 am

She’s screaming because it’s another fucking Gaspar Noe film

yoloswegmaster

#2459 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 am

3 titles have leaked:

Black Sunday (1977) confirms that Arrow have a deal with Paramount.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2460 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:34 am

The influx of Hong Kong stuff coming out has me a few months behind on buying Eureka’s releases between what other labels are releasing. I’ll absolutely get the Arrow release of Knockabout instead if it’s US only and hope they’re putting out the superior Dreadnaught out as well.

therewillbeblus

#2461 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:16 pm

It's gotta be U.S.-only because Eureka just released it in the U.K., right? Glad to see Black Sunday announced, it's one of the few Imprint titles JB Hi-fi never wants to ship to the U.S.

What A Disgrace

#2462 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:31 pm

Super stoked about The House That Screamed. It's one of my most sought after horror titles.

black&huge

#2463 Post by black&huge » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:56 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:31 pm
Super stoked about The House That Screamed. It's one of my most sought after horror titles.
holy shit..... I can't believe Arrow is doing this. I have the shout release but good lord Arrow releasing this is just.... wow.

rapta

#2464 Post by rapta » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Very happy about Black Sunday, been requesting it for years now (I kept lobbying Eureka, thinking they were the only UK label releasing Paramount titles, and most likely to get this). A very good 70's thriller from Frankenheimer, this one is particularly entertaining - with Robert Shaw and Bruce Dern, and a cracking John Williams score.

The House That Screamed is the kind of horror title I could happily pick up too, very impressed and look forward to checking it out. Same director as Who Can Kill a Child? which somehow still hasn't got a UK Blu-ray (I still have the Eureka DVD). Hopefully this is a huge hit and urges Arrow to do just that!

I was very nearly going to get the Imprint, as I've been doing for some things, but glad I don't have to now (mostly Paramount titles and a few that will likely not get UK Blu-rays). Curious to see what else Arrow pick up - I feel like there are a lot of obvious ones, and they may have the resources to have done a bulk deal with the studio. I'm thinking stuff that Imprint picked up such as The Warriors, Breakdown, The Parallax View, Hard Eight, The Gambler, Days of Heaven, The Duellists, Last Train from Gun Hill, A Place in the Sun, The Odd Couple, Save the Tiger, China Gate, and of course, Danger Diabolik.

Also worth mentioning Paramount have not released quite a few of their Paramount Presents titles in the UK, which may or may not be an indication that Arrow (or other labels with Paramount deals; Indicator, Eureka or BFI) have some of them lined up. I'm particularly thinking of Nashville, Harold and Maude, Ragtime, Ordinary People, Mommie Dearest, The Greatest Show on Earth (as well as A Place in the Sun, Last Train from Gun Hill and Breakdown, which I mentioned before as Imprint released them too). I kinda thought they might appear as part of HMV's Premium Collection like some of the other ones did, but that line seems to be dying a death.

ianungstad

#2465 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:49 pm

There was some speculation about Arrow releasing Black Sunday earlier this week on the bluray.com forum. One of the posters did some sleuthing on Arrow producer Michael Mackenzie's Letterboxd account and noticed that he's been watching several classic Paramount films and a Sony title recently. Apparently in the past, it's been a reliable tool for hinting at forthcomng Arrow projects as he often will add films to his account while the disc is in production but hasn't been officially announced by Arrow yet.

3 Paramount titles : Black Sunday, Chinatown and The Desperate Hours (William Wyler version)
and 1 Sony title : Cruel Intentions

Kino Insider apparently said on the other forum that they asked for but was not able to get The Desperate Hours.
Last edited by ianungstad on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

ianungstad

#2466 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:51 pm

The Monster Squad making of documentary "Wolfman's Got Nards" played at a film festival and was credited to Arrow Video but hasn't been released by Arrow yet. Presumably Arrow picked up the doc to include on a Monster Squad release, so it's also highly likely part of this Paramount deal.

The Kino Insider also stated on the bluray.com forums that another label with a Paramount deal would be releasing the John Mackenzie thriller Unman, Wittering and Zigo. could be Criterion or Shout but it seems like something Arrow would go after.

ianungstad

#2467 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:59 am

Additionally there was this twitter post from Fran Simeoni from back in March:

https://twitter.com/Frangipane13/status ... 1543835648

This deal will sign today and includes some mega titles I'm super proud of acquiring. Two of which on this list!
https://letterboxd.com/jlalibs/list/blu ... st-wanted/

Now that we know the new studio deal was for Paramount titles, a user by the name of Barndoor on the other forum went through the list and picked out all the Paramount films, which whittled the possibilities to:

Bringing Out The Dead
Real Life
A Simple Plan
Lookin' to Get Out
The Keep

It was pointed out that Mann is not going to let The Keep happen and I don't see one of the titles being Lookin' to Get Out.
I personally think the 2 Fran hinted at were Bringing Out the Dead and A Simple Plan. They just released a Scorsese and would be very interested in the Raimi. That being said, if we had to drop one of those and got Real LIfe, I'd be happy too!

ryannichols7

#2468 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:34 am

Real Life seems like prime Criterion (region A) and Indicator (region B) material but I wouldn't be shocked if Arrow did it. that said, I'm sure the two titles are Bringing Out the Dead and A Simple Plan, both are extremely within Arrow's wheelhouse - it's great to see so many labels making deals with Paramount. the issue now being elements and transfers, which we will hopefully see better instances of moving forward..

the mention of Chinatown above would be crazy - I trust Arrow more than Criterion or Kino at this point to go all out with a scholarly 4K edition if they were able to release it.

yoloswegmaster

#2469 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:19 am

Listing has been found for a 4K release of Boyhood:
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

- Lossless DTS HD MA 5.1 audio

- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

- Without Ambition, One Starts Nothing, a new featurette featuring American poet and critic Dan Chiasson in conversation with his son Louis Chiasson about their shared love and connection to the film

- In Search of Lost Time, a new visual essay by critic and film-maker Scout Tafoya

- Before and After Boyhood, a previously unheard interview with Richard Linklater by film critic Rob Stone, author of Walk, Don’t Run: The Cinema of Richard Linklater

- Richard Linklater at the BFI, director Richard Linklater discusses Boyhood and his whole career in this on stage appearance at the British Film Institute

- Theatrical trailer

- Image gallery

- Double-sided fold-out poster

- 60-page perfect-bound collector’s book featuring new writing on the film by film critic Ben Sachs and scholar Rob Stone, author of Walk, Don’t Run: The Cinema of Richard Linklater

ryannichols7

#2470 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:00 am

that's a coup right there. another month where the US titles leak, people say "eh", and then the UK exclusive ends up being something big. I enjoy that Arrow take a far more scholarly approach to their releases when they know Criterion has a more filmmaker focused one

also want to note that Arrow have impressively upped the output of "this would've been Academy" stuff as time has gone on. a nice development overall

yoloswegmaster

#2471 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:27 am

Not really sure how this is a coup considering it's being licensed from Universal, a company that pretty much licenses out the majority of their titles to any label. It's also not that much of a scholarly approach compared to the Criterion release (it also doesn't look all that appealing extras-wise in comparison to the Criterion release), and it doesn't take into account the quality of the extras, something that Arrow can be very hit or miss with.

The 4K is also going to be an upscale since it was shot on film but was finished as a 2K Digital Intermediate, similar to the Sisters Brothers release.

ryannichols7

#2472 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:33 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:27 am
Not really sure how this is a coup considering it's being licensed from Universal, a company that pretty much licenses out the majority of their titles to any label. It's also not that much of a scholarly approach compared to the Criterion release (it also doesn't look all that appealing extras-wise in comparison to the Criterion release), and it doesn't take into account the quality of the extras, something that Arrow can be very hit or miss with.

The 4K is also going to be an upscale since it was shot on film but was finished as a 2K Digital Intermediate, similar to the Sisters Brothers release.
it's merely because they're releasing it on 4K in region B before it gets one in region A. there seem to be two features here that fit the bill compared to solely the Koresky one on the CC. I feel Arrow has had decent scholarly stuff lately - the Wolf of Wall Street commentary being a good example.

I admittedly didn't know about the upscale but I did see it will have DV so I figured it would be an upgrade.

yoloswegmaster

#2473 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:46 am

Four Film Noir Classics Vol 2 (The Suspect, The Sleeping City, Thunder on the Hill, and Six Bridges to Cross):
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all four films

- Original lossless mono audio on all films

- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on all films

- Audio commentaries by leading scholars and critics Farran Smith-Nehme (The Suspect), Imogen Sara Smith (The Sleeping City), Josh Nelson (Thunder on the Hill) and Samm Deighan (Six Bridges to Cross)

- It Had to be Done, a new interview in which author and scholar Alan K. Rode takes a detailed look at the life and work of Robert Siodmak director of The Suspect and other classic noirs

- The Real Deal, a new visual essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas looking at realism and reality in The Sleeping City

- José Arroyo on Thunder on the Hill, a new appreciation by the esteemed film scholar and critic

- Style and Place, a new visual essay by film critic Jon Towlson examining the work of celebrated cinematographer William H. Daniels

- Vintage radio play versions of The Suspect and Thunder on the Hill starring Charles Laughton, Ella Raines, Claudette Colbert and Barbara Rush

- Theatrical Trailers

- Poster and stills galleries

- Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow

- Double-sided fold-out posters for each film featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow

- Hardback collector’s book featuring new writing on the films by film critics Kat Ellinger, Philip Kemp and Jon Towlson [Limited Edition Exclusive]

EddieLarkin

#2474 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:08 am

There are plenty of 2K upscales that offer a bigger improvement over the Blu-ray vs. native 4K transfers, no reason at all to consider one to be a less exciting release until the results are seen.

rapta

#2475 Post by rapta » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 am

ianungstad wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:59 am
Additionally there was this twitter post from Fran Simeoni from back in March:

https://twitter.com/Frangipane13/status ... 1543835648

This deal will sign today and includes some mega titles I'm super proud of acquiring. Two of which on this list!
https://letterboxd.com/jlalibs/list/blu ... st-wanted/

Now that we know the new studio deal was for Paramount titles, a user by the name of Barndoor on the other forum went through the list and picked out all the Paramount films, which whittled the possibilities to:

Bringing Out The Dead
Real Life
A Simple Plan
Lookin' to Get Out
The Keep

It was pointed out that Mann is not going to let The Keep happen and I don't see one of the titles being Lookin' to Get Out.
I personally think the 2 Fran hinted at were Bringing Out the Dead and A Simple Plan. They just released a Scorsese and would be very interested in the Raimi. That being said, if we had to drop one of those and got Real LIfe, I'd be happy too!
Bringing Out the Dead would be huge, but definitely US-only unfortunately for us in the UK. I love A Simple Plan so would be very excited for that (was asking for it quite recently in fact as I finally saw it on iPlayer).

Hope this Paramount deal isn’t US-only…someone pointed out the usual listings aren’t showing up for Black Sunday in the UK, so I’m a bit sad now if we don’t get it here. So close yet so far…let’s hope they can work things out for the UK ASAP!