Arrow Wish List

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

paddygarcia

Re: Arrow Wish List

#376 Post by paddygarcia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Seconding that wish for blu-rays of PEKING OPERA BLUES and the CHINESE GHOST STORY fillums. Tons of HK stuff could do with blu-rays. There's enough quality Johnnie To for a couple of box sets!

My two bits -

DANGER: DIABOLIK alongside english subbed releases of those 60s FANTOMAS movies with Jean Marais, Umberto Lenzi's KRIMINAL, and Viverelli's SATANIK. That's about all you need to corner the market on costumed eurosupervillainy.

BCI/Navarre was beginning to release titles by Sabu, but folded after UNLUCKY MONKEY. As far as I know, that's it for non-Japanese dvds of his work.

Sogo Ishii's CRAZY THUNDER ROAD

And CITIZEN DOG not only never had a US/UK release, but it's begging for a blu-ray. Just beautiful looking and a worthy companion to TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER

perkizitore

#377 Post by perkizitore » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Is there a chance of Arrow releasing The Thing or Dead Ringers? I have pre-ordered the Shout Factory editions, but I will gladly hold out if there is a chance that Arrow might be releasing them.

ianungstad

#378 Post by ianungstad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:35 pm

I just wished Arrow released better films in the US. In their second year things seem to have gone downhill with more emphasis on Z-grade "It's so bad it's (supposedly) great!" fare.

They have released several high profile (or well regarded) UK releases that are either being released by other companies in R1 or that I plan to import (Audition, Matinee). I complain vocally because I thought this dual territory releases were going to open some doors and that has not been the case at all.

rapta

#379 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:35 pm

perkizitore wrote:Is there a chance of Arrow releasing The Thing or Dead Ringers? I have pre-ordered the Shout Factory editions, but I will gladly hold out if there is a chance that Arrow might be releasing them.
Would kill for an Arrow edition of The Thing. Not literally, but almost.

Orlac

#380 Post by Orlac » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Living Dead at Manchester Morgue - with the UK title sequence (complete with electronic sound effects missing from the Blue Underground transfer) and Spanish/Italian audio options

nitin

#381 Post by nitin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:22 am

More noir in 2017!

Finch

#382 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 am

^ yup a port of the Cohen release of Sudden Fear would be great.

RossyG

#383 Post by RossyG » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 am

I've asked for this one before, but Because of the Cats (1973) would be a great Aroow release. It's a Van Der Valk mystery shot like a European horror film.

Trailer (NSFW) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5LHQ6FFdn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Ben

#384 Post by Big Ben » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 am

I have also asked for this one before. Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence.

Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VMhLqSTvy0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rapta

#385 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Big Ben wrote:I have also asked for this one before. Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence.

Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VMhLqSTvy0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been asking for that too, as well as Giulio Petroni's Death Rides a Horse, but told more than once that the rights are tied up for both of them. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of years, because those are two of the best Spaghetti Westerns in my opinion, and are in need of restoration too. Any other Corbucci would be good though, if they can't get that specific one.

Costa

#386 Post by Costa » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I wish Arrow would release more classic Hollywood or foreign films than b-horror movies.
Anyway..
Don't know who owns the rights and if it would be possible for Arrow to release them but I'd like:

My Own Private Idaho (to correct Criterion's encoding)
Bertolluci Eastern trilogy (Last emperor [new 4k scan], Sheltering Sky, Little Buddha)

as for horror/thriller:

The Nanny
Wait Untill Dark
Lady in a Cage
Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
Strait-Jacket
Images (1973)

Black Christmas (looking forward to seeing how the Shout will turn up)
21 Hours at munich
King Kong (1977)
Black Sunday (1977)
Halloween
The Changeling (1980)

Poltergeist (1982) (new 4K scan with deleted scene back in)
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)
The Name of the Rose (the new remaster that is in the French bluray)

Some foreign films:
Death In Venice
Raise the Red Lanterns
Cyrano de Bergerac(1990)
Farewell my Concubine (new 4K scan)
Domenica d 'Augosto
Il Giovedi
La giornata balorda (uncut)
Theo Angelopoulos films

animation:
Gandahar
Time Masters
Angel's Egg

rapta

#387 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:26 pm

My Own Private Idaho - Warner Bros title, so we're likely to just see a port of the same Criterion disc at some point
The Last Emperor - still with StudioCanal as far as I know, so they're your best bet (the Optimum disc is OOP :( )
Village of the Damned - the Carpenter film? Fabulous Films released it last year already
Images - would love to see either Eureka or Arrow get hold of this one...both quite likely since they've released Altman films already (with a slight tip to Eureka who went out on a limb with That Cold Day in the Park)
Black Christmas - rights were with Metrodome who recently folded, so hoping Arrow could get it
Black Sunday ('77) - been begging Eureka for this since they've been handling Paramount titles...my most wanted Frankenheimer in fact (though I'd also love Birdman of Alcatraz too)
Halloween - which, the Carpenter original? Anchor Bay definitely still have that, and I doubt they'd let it go (plus their disc is pretty good, and came out fairly recently too)
The Changeling - unfortunately Momentum/eOne have the rights here so I doubt we'll see this anytime soon (unless they lose them for whatever reason)
Poltergeist - another Warner Bros title, so I doubt anyone could license it (plus it's way too renowned for them to happily sub-license it out)
Farewell My Concubine - the BFI already released it very recently, and since they didn't get the 4K scan we might not see it here for some time (though maybe they'll pick up Raise the Red Lantern at some point...you never know!)
Theo Angelopoulos titles - Artificial Eye have all the rights last time I checked
Gandahar/Time Masters - no idea...apparently the MoC DVDs didn't sell well enough for them to consider Blu-ray upgrades (even though they're both OOP and fetching silly prices - I somehow missed out on both!), and I dunno if there's enough demand to see another label trying them (hopefully one day though)
Angel's Egg - being a Japanese animation, I suppose we might see it from Anime Ltd (who are starting to distribute older stuff such as Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors)

Costa

#388 Post by Costa » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 pm

rapta wrote:My Own Private Idaho - Warner Bros title, so we're likely to just see a port of the same Criterion disc at some point
The Last Emperor - still with StudioCanal as far as I know, so they're your best bet (the Optimum disc is OOP :( )
Village of the Damned - the Carpenter film? Fabulous Films released it last year already
Images - would love to see either Eureka or Arrow get hold of this one...both quite likely since they've released Altman films already (with a slight tip to Eureka who went out on a limb with That Cold Day in the Park)
Black Christmas - rights were with Metrodome who recently folded, so hoping Arrow could get it
Black Sunday ('77) - been begging Eureka for this since they've been handling Paramount titles...my most wanted Frankenheimer in fact (though I'd also love Birdman of Alcatraz too)
Halloween - which, the Carpenter original? Anchor Bay definitely still have that, and I doubt they'd let it go (plus their disc is pretty good, and came out fairly recently too)
The Changeling - unfortunately Momentum/eOne have the rights here so I doubt we'll see this anytime soon (unless they lose them for whatever reason)
Poltergeist - another Warner Bros title, so I doubt anyone could license it (plus it's way too renowned for them to happily sub-license it out)
Farewell My Concubine - the BFI already released it very recently, and since they didn't get the 4K scan we might not see it here for some time (though maybe they'll pick up Raise the Red Lantern at some point...you never know!)
Theo Angelopoulos titles - Artificial Eye have all the rights last time I checked
Gandahar/Time Masters - no idea...apparently the MoC DVDs didn't sell well enough for them to consider Blu-ray upgrades (even though they're both OOP and fetching silly prices - I somehow missed out on both!), and I dunno if there's enough demand to see another label trying them (hopefully one day though)
Angel's Egg - being a Japanese animation, I suppose we might see it from Anime Ltd (who are starting to distribute older stuff such as Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors)

Thank you very much for all the information. :wink:

-Village of the damned (i meant the 1960 film)
-Halloween (yes, I mean the original, but i want the film with the original audio, and that is only in the box with all the movies and I don't want the box. The standalone Bluray has a downmix of the remix)

edit: oh, I would be interested too in Elvira Madigan (although I haven't seen it). I see Arrow had released a DVD.
Also, I would love if Arrow released some 50s-60s italian peplum films.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#389 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:02 am

Costa wrote:
rapta wrote: Also, I would love if Arrow released some 50s-60s italian peplum films.
Amen! I don't think one single Italian Peplum has been released on Blu, anywhere in the world! Not even Hercules or Hercules Unchained, the two Steve Reeves films that started it all. These films with their Mediterranean locations and funky colored sets demand some type of quality release. Hercules and The Captive Women was filmed in 70mm and would look amazing with just a little bit of effort and a capable transfer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#390 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:55 am

And Arrow could probably get Luc Moullet to contribute extras!

ianungstad

#391 Post by ianungstad » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:08 am

Arrow seems to have halted their spaghetti western output, so I don't have much hope for peplum...but it's a great idea! The Hercules stuff is with Westchester Films. I'm sure Shout Factory could do those if they wanted. Arrow should at least do the Bava peplum titles.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#392 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:40 am

Can you imagine how awesome Bava's Hercules In The Haunted World would look on Blu-Ray? The mind boggles!

I think the main problem to releasing these films is the fact they are public domain. That should make these easier to release, but labels don't like to put any restoration and transfer funds into a film that has been released a billion times (although every single one looks like hot garbage).

Cold Bishop

#393 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:39 am

While Haunted World certainly has the name recognition, Vittorio Cottafavi's One Hundred Horsemen is probably the masterpiece of the genre (based on what I've seen) and I believe has a Bologna-approved restoration floating around.

Costa

#394 Post by Costa » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 am

Petty Bourgeoisie wrote: Hercules and The Captive Women was filmed in 70mm and would look amazing with just a little bit of effort and a capable transfer.
Oh really?
This one was stuck in mind and I recently watched it.
I was moved by the nostalgia. I grew up with such films.

By the way, 2 peplum films have been released (and with good quality from what it seems) but no English options:

https://www.amazon.it/Le-Gladiatrici-Bl ... B00A9OQYNE
https://www.amazon.it/Anthar-linvincibi ... B00AMA6SQS

Anyway, maybe Arrow could try with a great restoration of a popular peplum title to see how much demand there would be?

Big Ben

#395 Post by Big Ben » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:01 am

rapta wrote:
Big Ben wrote:I have also asked for this one before. Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence.

I've been asking for that too, as well as Giulio Petroni's Death Rides a Horse, but told more than once that the rights are tied up for both of them. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of years, because those are two of the best Spaghetti Westerns in my opinion, and are in need of restoration too. Any other Corbucci would be good though, if they can't get that specific one.
That's a damn shame. But it would explain why the film hasn't seen any love in the US (And none in the UK!) besides the atrocious Fantoma release. I'd love to see a restoration and the Italian dub just for the sake of it (They always appear to be better than the English ones to me!).

I'd pay big bucks for a new version Arrow!

colinr0380

#396 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:24 am

rapta wrote:Angel's Egg - being a Japanese animation, I suppose we might see it from Anime Ltd (who are starting to distribute older stuff such as Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors)
If Angel's Egg is a slight possibility, for completeness and in my wildest dreams I'd also love to see the Australian film In The Aftermath: Angels Never Sleep added, as that took Angel's Egg and combined it with a live action post-apocalyptic story! (Its a strange mash-up but I like to think of it as a successful version of one of those Godfrey Ho patchwork productions!)

Cronenfly

#397 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:21 pm

This UK release of The Great Silence from Digital Classics has a few extras featuring Alex Cox, is anamorphic, and has English as well as Italian audio, but looks now to be OOP. I've only glanced at my copy, but I think it is a fairly competent release/your best bet (if you can find it affordably) until Arrow or whoever else gives it the deluxe treatment.

rapta

#398 Post by rapta » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Cronenfly wrote:This UK release of The Great Silence from Digital Classics has a few extras featuring Alex Cox, is anamorphic, and has English as well as Italian audio, but looks now to be OOP. I've only glanced at my copy, but I think it is a fairly competent release/your best bet (if you can find it affordably) until Arrow or whoever else gives it the deluxe treatment.
I actually have that same DVD but never thought to check out the extras! Will have to dig it out to find that Alex Cox extra now.

Funnily enough Eureka released it 5 years before that one. It's a shame they didn't want to upgrade it, and later cancelled their planned Blu-ray edition of Sollima's Face to Face (Faccia a faccia).

Talking of Spaghetti Westerns though, I somehow missed the news a while back but 88 Films are releasing two Corbucci's in the new year: The Mercenary and Navajo Joe. They may be planning Compañeros too, but I'm still holding out hope Arrow are doing The Great Silence (because they'll no doubt pack it with extras, plus a booklet). Was told a while back someone else had the rights though, which could've well been 88 Films...

Costa

#399 Post by Costa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:12 pm

rapta wrote: Theo Angelopoulos titles - Artificial Eye have all the rights last time I checked
I forgot to ask:
Do you know who has the rights in USA?
I just started a couple of years ago watching some Angelopoulos films (i think I've seen 3 so far).
And although they are not my favourite I just love the wintery atmosphere, photography and other technical merits.
I really hope someone could release them.
There are only some very expensive Japanese Blurays which look quite good!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#400 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:18 pm

I think Fox Lorber had a couple