Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

TMDaines

Re: Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

#826 Post by TMDaines » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for the shout. I got The Big Clock, Hold Back the Dawn Crime & Punishment, and Nightfall. All had booklets.

Florinaldo

#827 Post by Florinaldo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Arrow's Canadian distributor, https://www.unobstructedview.com/, is having a 50 % sale all through November. When you compare it with what it costs to order from Amazon (CA or UK) as well as third-party vendors, it comes out quite favourably for Canadian buyers (exchange rate factored in). They are also having a 40 % sale on their Criterion catalog, which they also distribute. Again, comparison with the 50 % sales from Criterion or B&N comes out in favour of Unobstructedview, as long as you order over 100 $ to qualify for free shipping.

They of course only carry titles for which Arrow has a Region A license, which means that many Bava films are not available, nor other titles like The Hound of the Baskerviles and no doubt several others. Service is good: an order I placed yesterday arrived today (Toronto to Ottawa-Gatineau) and in a previous order one disc was missing but a replacement one was shipped the day after I wrote them about it.

There are a few Criterion titles that do not appear to be covered by the sale, like The Circus, Häxan and the Godzilla set. They also do not carry the Eclipse line as far as I can make out. Likewise, Arrow's new release of The Far Country is not listed on their Web site.

And to answer a crucial existential question: all 6 of the Arrow single titles I ordered came with the booklets. The Romero box set had the book, it goes without saying.

Chull

#828 Post by Chull » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Arrow's Canadian distributor, https://www.unobstructedview.com/, is having a 50 % sale all through November. When you compare it with what it costs to order from Amazon (CA or UK) as well as third-party vendors, it comes out quite favourably for Canadian buyers (exchange rate factored in). They are also having a 40 % sale on their Criterion catalog, which they also distribute. Again, comparison with the 50 % sales from Criterion or B&N comes out in favour of Unobstructedview, as long as you order over 100 $ to qualify for free shipping.
Thanks a bunch! The Arrows work out to be a fair bit less than B&N (Criterions a little more, I found.) PLUS - they had The Stunt Man in stock (which I got for 15% off after signing up for the newsletter.)

Thornycroft

#829 Post by Thornycroft » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:46 am

Arrow Video on Facebook wrote:SALE ALERT! We're launching a MASSIVE sale across 500+ titles, including a handful of Out of Print Ltd. Editions 😱! This sale is replacing our annual Christmas Sale and will run from November 28 - December 13, right before we move to our brand new warehouse in 2020!

black&huge

#830 Post by black&huge » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 am

^^^ is this through their main site? They sell the R1 versions of their releases correct? If somehow the R1 LE's of Deep Red and Crimson Peak become available for the sale I'm gonna have to add to my shopping list tomorrow

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#831 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:06 am

It looks like it's on their usual UK website which doesn't sell US releases.

TMDaines

#832 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 am

Please include Second Run

TMDaines

#833 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:02 am

Sale went live. Some real bargains there including Second Run Blu-rays for £8, Gorin/Eight Hours/Guitry boxsets for £15 etc, but the site cannae take the strain.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#834 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 am

And a Marx Brothers boxset sold at an inflated £40. :roll:

Arrow Books are at £5 apiece, boxsets usually at £25 and vinyls at £10 or £15. 7 Second Run are offered at £8 apiece + the Marc Isaacs set at £20. There are about 20 TWF titles, between £5 and 8 apiece (except the Toshiaki Toyoda set which is at £12).
About 20 LE releases, most at full prices : Phenomena and Donnie Darko are at £30, Candyman (£25), City of the Living Dead (£25), Cat 'O Nine Tails (£25), The Apartment (£25)...
Most standard releases are at £7.5, with some July / Aug ones at £10, and 15 older ones at £5.

TMDaines

#835 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 am

Some less popular Academy titles are even £5: Magnificent Doll!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#836 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:31 am

Surprisingly, some recent Academy Crime and Punishment and Hold Back the Dawn are included ut not The Big Clock and Nightfall.

TMDaines

#837 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:38 am

Amazon might be cheaper for some of the more recent ones too.

Ribs

#838 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:42 am

Weird that most of the Second Run stuff isn’t included - Oh well, maybe next time.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#839 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:50 am

Godard/Gorin is 15£

TMDaines

#840 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Best bargain is Gomorra Season 4 for only £10. Been £25+ until a few weeks ago when it dropped to £15 or so on Amazon. An all-time great TV series for my money.

hearthesilence

#841 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Is U.S. shipping now £10.50 by default? I was going to pick up two titles but £2.25 shipping no longer seems to be an option.

Cronenfly

#842 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Amazon UK has Nightfall and several others on sale for similar prices. I bought that and Crime and Punishment from there since the latter was already sold out via Arrow.

Ovader

#843 Post by Ovader » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Thanks for your post as I just received my parcel today (Sunday of all days!) in which I ordered Suzuki's THE EARLY YEARS VOL. 1 and THE TAISHO TRILOGY plus THE BUDDHIST TRILOGY all of which I thought I would never have a chance to get for a fair price. All sealed and no damage to the packaging at all :D

Florinaldo

#844 Post by Florinaldo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Ovader wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm
Thanks for your post as I just received my parcel today (Sunday of all days!) in which I ordered Suzuki's THE EARLY YEARS VOL. 1 and THE TAISHO TRILOGY plus THE BUDDHIST TRILOGY all of which I thought I would never have a chance to get for a fair price. All sealed and no damage to the packaging at all :D
I am glad that the information was useful. They appear to be a reliable seller. One has to get used to the quirks of their listings and the search engine, which tend to list films under their orignal language titles; which means if you look for Dreyer's Master of the House, you won't find it unless you input "Du Skal Aere Din Hustru" or the director's name. Same with French and Japanese titles for example.

I also notice that at the start of their month-long sales, some titles seem not to be included as was the case with The Circus and Hâxan, but the prices dropped to include the sale discount after a week or two. The Godzilla box set, which was full price when the Criterion sale started is now (for a "limited time only") at 160 $, 6 $ lower than the Amazon.ca price and 40 dollars less than it was a few weeks ago. Still not low enough to justify buying it in my view.

In December they are having a Kino Lorber sale with, as usual, a number of titles missing from their inventory (although they are available from Amazon.ca).

AlexHansen

#845 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 pm
Is U.S. shipping now £10.50 by default? I was going to pick up two titles but £2.25 shipping no longer seems to be an option.
This definitely stopped me from picking up a couple of things. Hopefully not a permanent change.

fdm

#846 Post by fdm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 pm

My sale package was shipped finally Tuesday and should have arrived Wednesay, but for the first time with these tracked shipments (to the US) it seems to have gotten stuck in Memphis (customs presumably) and no telling for how long. :( (Also a good reminder of why I usually wait until January for these year-end Arrow sales.)

BigMack3000

Re: INTERNATIONAL Bargains and Deals

#848 Post by BigMack3000 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Flash sale at arrowfilms.com . Looks like a great deal on that Godard and Gorin set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: INTERNATIONAL Bargains and Deals

#849 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Bah, no Second Run titles

JAP

#850 Post by JAP » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:10 am

Flash sale on some Academy titles.