Arrow Video USA

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Arrow Video USA

#51 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:04 pm

jindianajonz wrote:The ten year is a much better value- over three times the movies for a 60% increase in price. Or to put it another way, if we assume there are 40 titles per year, the first $1500 only gives you 120 movies, but the next $1000 gives you 280 movies.

I think if they bumped the 3 year option up to 5 years, it would probably sell a lot better, but as it stands the cheaper option just doesn't seem like a great value.
There is of course more risk involved with the ten-year option though. I mean, what happens if the world ends in 2018? Then you're going to wish you had gone with the three-year option.

EddieLarkin

#52 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Certainly it's better value but it's many times the risk. A lot of things can change in 10 years, including the potential failure of Arrow's business or the complete collapse of the physical media market (or as swo says, we might get hit by an asteroid). In comparison I'm certain that anyone going for the 3 year option would get a full 3 years of content.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#53 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:13 pm

If steady releases persist for at least 5 years, then the 10-year option starts to become the better deal. If they persist for the full 10 years, then the 10-year option ends up being twice as good of a deal.

P.S. I didn't say it might happen...

DrunkenFatherFigure

#54 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:00 pm

To put it simply, and to clarify for those of you who may not be great at math, assuming the same number of films released each year (which I realize is likely not the best assumption), the 10-year plan is exactly twice the value on a per-film basis than the 3-year plan.

To put it even more simply, the per-film cost of the 10-year plan is half the per-film cost of the 3-year plan.

Or, if you like specific numbers, if we assume 24 films released each year (roughly their UK release rate over the past 5 years), the 3-year plan gets you 72 films at a cost of $20.84 per film, and the 10-year plan gets you 240 films at a cost of $10.42 per film.

Anthony Thorne

#55 Post by Anthony Thorne » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Just passed $35,000 after the first week. Some more cool title announcements should keep things moving along. I am curious, are the Arrow USA titles set to be Region A/B, or will it vary depending on the title? I have a multi-region player here in Melbourne but invariably (as with other friends of mine in the same boat) we prioritise Region B so we don't have to muck about changing player regions back and forth, and we can loan our discs to friends or family who aren't kitted out with a similar player. If the various Arrow USA bundles are Region A/B ala the MARK OF THE DEVIL disc that was released in the UK, I might jump in for a bundle myself before the campaign ends.

EddieLarkin

#56 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm

DrunkenFatherFigure wrote:Or, if you like specific numbers, if we assume 24 films released each year (roughly their UK release rate over the past 5 years), the 3-year plan gets you 72 films at a cost of $20.84 per film, and the 10-year plan gets you 240 films at a cost of $10.42 per film.
But in 2014 alone they've released 41 films (excluding December), which surely has more bearing on their future catalog than earlier years do. And they intend to increase their rate of release in 2015. So the savings could potentially be much greater.
Anthony Thorne wrote:I am curious, are the Arrow USA titles set to be Region A/B, or will it vary depending on the title? I have a multi-region player here in Melbourne but invariably (as with other friends of mine in the same boat) we prioritise Region B so we don't have to muck about changing player regions back and forth, and we can loan our discs to friends or family who aren't kitted out with a similar player. If the various Arrow USA bundles are Region A/B ala the MARK OF THE DEVIL disc that was released in the UK, I might jump in for a bundle myself before the campaign ends.
Arrow confirmed earlier tonight on Facebook that they will be A/B.

Jack Phillips

#57 Post by Jack Phillips » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm

DrunkenFatherFigure wrote: Or, if you like specific numbers, if we assume 24 films released each year (roughly their UK release rate over the past 5 years), the 3-year plan gets you 72 films at a cost of $20.84 per film, and the 10-year plan gets you 240 films at a cost of $10.42 per film.
The prices might actually be declining in real terms over the periods specified if you take inflation into account (ex. It now takes $126.45 to equal the purchasing power of 100 2004 dollars).

DrunkenFatherFigure

#58 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:16 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:But in 2014 alone they've released 41 films (excluding December), which surely has more bearing on their future catalog than earlier years do. And they intend to increase their rate of release in 2015. So the savings could potentially be much greater.
Good point - I've was trying to make a conservative estimate, since there will likely be unexpected obstacles. Their release rate in 2012 plummeted after a warehouse fire in late 2011, so crazy stuff can happen. Plus, it seems likely that the release rate may be a little slower than ideal when they start out in 2015, just as they get their footing in the new market (another reason why the 10-year plan is a much better deal). It probably won't be as slow as it was when they started in the UK in 2009 (where they averaged less than 1 film a month for the 6 months they were doing releases), but I think 24 films a year is a good enough minimum expectation.

As a sidenote, I wonder if they could offer a 3-year plan that included years 2018-2021 instead of 2015-2018. That would reduce a lot of the risk of what their initial release rate will be, although the delayed gratification might be hard to bear.

DrunkenFatherFigure

#59 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:The prices might actually be declining in real terms over the periods specified if you take inflation into account (ex. It now takes $126.45 to equal the purchasing power of 100 2004 dollars).
For the savings compared to buying everything full price the purchasing power comes into it, but if we're just thinking about it in terms of the per-film cost, then the inflation rate is irrelevant, since you'll be paying the money in 2014 dollars. I think it's more worthwhile to think about it in terms of how much each film is worth it to you, especially since your "savings" will always be based off of MSRP, which is pretty arbitrary. Essentially, is it worth it to buy 240 films (probably more) at $10.42 a piece given that you have to buy all of them?

Of course, this isn't even considering how often they'll release a film with both a steelbook and an amray case where you get both versions. Anybody have statistics on how often they release films in both formats?

MichaelB

#60 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 am

DrunkenFatherFigure wrote:Or, if you like specific numbers, if we assume 24 films released each year (roughly their UK release rate over the past 5 years), the 3-year plan gets you 72 films at a cost of $20.84 per film, and the 10-year plan gets you 240 films at a cost of $10.42 per film.
It'll be a lot more than 24 per year - extrapolating over a five-year period isn't statistically helpful because the Arrow team is now a fair bit bigger than it was back in 2009/10, and the release slate consequently more ambitious.

So it's much more realistic to look at what's been happing in the years during which the current team were fully in place - where you'll find that 2013 saw 33 Arrow Video releases, and 2014 has already notched up 29 in January to October alone, so will certainly exceed that by the end of December.

In other words, you'd be better off upping your figures from 24 to 32 releases per year, which would be much closer to the reality. Whereupon the cost drops to $15.62 per release for the three-year plan (96 releases total) and $7.81 per release for the ten-year one (320 releases total).

It's also worth flagging up that the ten-year packages are going fast - there are just seven left at the time of writing.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#61 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:38 am

MichaelB wrote:It's also worth flagging up that the ten-year packages are going fast - there are just seven left at the time of writing.
And only four available as of now

MichaelB

#62 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:56 am

Yes, there was a rather gratifying surge this afternoon.

In fact, I've been very pleasantly surprised by how it's gone, especially since only four actual titles have been announced (although I hope a fifth is imminent - another title which, like Dr Jekyll, has been much-requested and which is also getting a brand new restoration.)

EddieLarkin

#63 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Now 3, meaning it's over 50%! I wonder if it'd be prudent to add another 10 or so 10 year lists.

Cash Flagg

#64 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:I wonder if it'd be prudent to add another 10 or so 10 year lists.
I asked Arrow via email if this was a possibility and they said no. I will have the money later this afternoon, but am worried that I will be too late.

Edit: Wow, another one just sold, making 5 so far today. Figures that people happened to pick today to buy them all up, in an hour I will probably be out of luck.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#65 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm

You don't actually pay until the project ends though, right?

And I'm a little concerned about the project's chances once the 10-year gold list options are up, as the lower options don't seem to be getting enough traction to make up the rest of the $100K goal.

EddieLarkin

#66 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm

That's Kickstarter. Indiegogo take it up front and then refund you if necessary.

Cash Flagg

#67 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm

swo17 wrote:You don't actually pay until the project ends though, right?
No, you are charged immediately, which is the problem for me.

Askew

#68 Post by Askew » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm

They are now sold out of the 10 Year Gold option.

christopher_NOBODY

#69 Post by christopher_NOBODY » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm

They've now also passed the 60k mark. Woo!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#70 Post by Drucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Wow it started slow but that's great. Being low on cash for the rest of the year, I would be very happy if they hit their goal and I didn't have to contribute. But obviously best wishes to all involved!

Anthony Thorne

#71 Post by Anthony Thorne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:12 pm

They should drum up a few more of the $2500 gold list (or similar) perks under a different title with maybe a free exclusive t-shirt chucked in, as with more than a month and a half to go they'd probably shift a few more of them. Regardless, with new perks and title announcements apparently coming I'd say things are looking very good for this one.

DrunkenFatherFigure

#72 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:I will have the money later this afternoon, but am worried that I will be too late.
Wow that's disappointing! I was going to buy one after my payday on the 15th, so at least I missed it by a few days, rather than an hour. If they're not willing to sell more of the 10-year plans, I wonder if they'd be willing to make the 3-year plan better by turning it into a 5-year plan? I would buy it then, but the 3-year plan as it is just doesn't sound good to me without good knowledge of what their release rate would be. I'd rather get the 10-release bundle which is at least tied to a specific number of films rather than a length of time.

Gregory

#73 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:58 pm

DrunkenFatherFigure wrote:I wonder if they'd be willing to make the 3-year plan better by turning it into a 5-year plan?
I'd be up for that, as long as it doesn't require collectivization of agriculture.

knives

#74 Post by knives » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:05 pm

No, just re-education through Fulci.

ianungstad

#75 Post by ianungstad » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 pm

If Arrow wants to go after the collector's market I would prefer they use spine numbers instead of steelbooks. Steelbooks only impact sales on the high profile releases while spine numbers encourage people to blind buy titles they would otherwise pass on. I suppose they could do both like Masters of Cinema.