Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

bad future

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1626 Post by bad future » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Given that they already released a blu ray of True Romance in 2019, apparently from the same old master, would they be promoting now if it wasn't going to be a new transfer or a new format? I'm probably missing something; not super familiar with their marketing practices...

Adam X

#1627 Post by Adam X » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:00 pm

I only linked it up with 4K because it was the only coded ‘clue’ on that page that seemed to match up. Nothing more.

While not without precedent, I’d find it weird if Arrow were to be rereleasing the film just to add a couple more extras if it wasn’t to also feature a new restoration. There’s always a first time, and True Romance sorely needs a makeover.

Calvin

#1628 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:35 pm

I think we can be pretty sure that if/when Arrow release True Romance, they'll release it on UHD if it's up to them. Same goes for The Last of the Mohicans and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - they're all huge gets for Arrow.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1629 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:01 pm

bad future wrote:Given that they already released a blu ray of True Romance in 2019, apparently from the same old master, would they be promoting now if it wasn't going to be a new transfer or a new format? I'm probably missing something; not super familiar with their marketing practices...
They released it as a bare-bones Arrow Films release but is supposedly going to get a later more traditional Arrow treatment, with possibly/hopefully a new restoration, hence why it still gets promoted now.

EddieLarkin

#1630 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Same TR card was also found in a US copy of Tremors, so it's pretty much a dead cert it'll at least be a new transfer, if not UHD. I'd be very pleased with either.

dwk

#1631 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Morgan Creek titles are with Sony in the US, and they don't license UHD rights.

RichardFisk

#1632 Post by RichardFisk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Paul Boland over at Hi-Def Ninja just confirmed a new Arrow release of True Romance!

M Sanderson

#1633 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 am

A fresh scan would be great. A UHD would be truly essential.

Dylan

#1634 Post by Dylan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Arrow has posted a clue for one of their Friday releases.

I'm guessing it's Roger Vadim's Blood and Roses, one of my all-time favorite horror films even though I've never seen a "definitive" version. I've seen the French cut, which is floating around in 2.35:1 and the track's dialogue maintains the (I assume) intended ambiguity of the story, but it's missing a lot of the final dream sequence. I've also seen the American cut with the English dub and cropped to 1.33:1. The English track isn't badly done technically, but it reworks the dialogue in a way that dispenses with most of the ambiguity, which reduces the impact. The American cut does seem to have the dream sequence in tact, however (or at least it's longer than it is in the French cut). I somehow recall reading that the longest cut of this film was the Italian release version, which might be lost.

There is so much potential for a Blu-ray of Blood and Roses, and it's a perfect title for Arrow. In any case, we'll see what it is on Friday.
Last edited by Dylan on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1635 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I don't share your passion, sadly, but I think it's a film very much in their wheelhouse, so maybe you'll get lucky!

yoloswegmaster

#1636 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm

I've seen people speculate that it could be for My Bloody Valentine or for The Prowler (otherwise known as Rosemary's Killer)

Ribs

#1637 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 am

UHDs coming for Donnie Darko and Battle Royale.

The MSRP for the latter is £80 for some reason.

ex-cowboy

#1638 Post by ex-cowboy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:20 am

Ribs wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 am
UHDs coming for Donnie Darko and Battle Royale.

The MSRP for the latter is £80 for some reason.
Judging by the packaging, the BR set will include both films (and possibly the alternate cuts of both BR & BRII, giving you 4 cuts), hence the price I'm assuming.

(I think the 'Battle Royale' is meant to signify the series, rather than just the first film)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1639 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:50 am

Battle Royale UHD set will be a 5 discs set : 2 UHDs (for each cut of the 1st movie + extras), 2 BDs (for each cut of the 2nd movie + extras), 1 CD with the 1st movie OST. It also will have a 120 pages "monograph on Kinji Fukasaku by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes" on top of a more general booklet, some "Trump Cards" and a reversible poster.

I'm a bit frustrated by this release because the first collector set (did it ever sell out in the end ?) was amongst the first Arrow release I bought and it's clear the label weren't operating as rigorously as now : the masters weren't very good, neither were the encodes, and god this DVD-sized set was unpractical to store ! But of course, that's just because this was then.

I'm more surprised by Donnie Darko's UHD, because Carlotta didn't do a UHD release in France because there weren't a usable 4K digital file of the movie (ie despite the restoration having been performed in 4K, the resulting digital files weren't "future-proofed" for a UHD release). I wonder if Arrow went back to it to generate usable files in 4K, or if they managed to retrieve somewhere exploitable 4K files...

yoloswegmaster

#1640 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:59 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:50 am

I'm a bit frustrated by this release because the first collector set (did it ever sell out in the end ?) was amongst the first Arrow release I bought and it's clear the label weren't operating as rigorously as now : the masters weren't very good, neither were the encodes, and god this DVD-sized set was unpractical to store ! But of course, that's just because this was then.

I would like to believe that it ended up selling out since Arrow was selling the theatrical and extended cut on separate blurays. There is a bit of oddness going on with the UHD release since it's listed as being Region B instead of being Region Free. Anyhow, does anyone know who Arrow licensed Battle Royale from? It's a bit surprising to see Arrow restoring a Japanese film themselves instead of relying on whatever masters that were passed down to them.

dwk

#1641 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Someone on the Blu-ray forum asked on twitter and were told the B code on the listing was a mistake, but they are going to leave it up to keep Toei from getting upset (I am certain that the 2 blus for part 2 are going to be B locked.)

Dylan

#1642 Post by Dylan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:03 pm

The other releases are Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, Switchblade Sisters, Clapboard Jungle, and Death Has Blue Eyes.

Darn, no Vadim. But I am now wondering which one of these new titles fits the literal blood and roses clue? One of the Battle Royale movies?

dwk

#1643 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Blu-ray forum people are saying the clue was for Death Had Blue Eyes

What A Disgrace

#1644 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Hinting at the least interesting film in the slate is a pretty cheeky move.

Dylan

#1645 Post by Dylan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm

I've heard of Death Has Blue Eyes (aka The Para Psychics) but I've never seen it. Clapboard Jungle is a new documentary about independent filmmaking that possibly has the last on-camera interviews with Dick Miller, Larry Cohen, and Sid Haig.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1646 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Nico Mastorakis 5, Michel Deville 0

*Edited by swo17 out of profound embarrassment at 11:08am, 1/29/2021

Stefan Andersson

#1647 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:06 pm

Would Arrow be interested in releasing a box set of Otar Iosseliani´s films? My memories of films like "Pastorale", "Monday Morning", "Farewell Sweet Home" and others are of droll, exquisitely directed Tatiesque comedy.

therewillbeblus

#1648 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:08 pm

Michel Deville has a sister?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1649 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:08 pm
No idea what you're talking about :-"

And any Iosseliani would be wonderful!

therewillbeblus

#1650 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:08 pm
No idea what you're talking about :-"

And any Iosseliani would be wonderful!
Using your mod status to change your post without an edit note, I'm feeling gaslit!

EDIT: Never mind, not feeling gaslit anymore