Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1826 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Here is the clue for Friday's annoucements:

Someone on the bluray forums has said that this is a Cape dune mole-rat, so we can expect to see Dune announced on Friday.

Ribs

#1827 Post by Ribs » Wed May 26, 2021 7:22 pm

Or possibly Cape Fear, given Kino has repeatedly said someone else has acquired the two of them possibly for a 4K release. Or maybe it’s meant for both things!

yoloswegmaster

#1828 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Fran said back in February on Twitter that they tried getting the rights to both Cape Fear films but they went to someone else, so I kinda doubt that Arrow will be announcing it.

DRW.mov

#1829 Post by DRW.mov » Wed May 26, 2021 8:38 pm

Ah, well, guess we can assume Criterion or Shout are looking into Cape Fear then? But considering their almost rampant relationship with Scorsese lately, it does feel like a strong possibility for Criterion.

Saw someone on IG say this could be Blind Beast....which tracks considering the recent japanese efforts from Arrow.

yoloswegmaster

#1830 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu May 27, 2021 7:02 am

Accidently leaked on Zavvi:

A Tale of Two Sisters
Blind Beast
The Brotherhood of Satan
Dune UHD (with Zavvi exclusive Steelbook)
Dinner in America
The Sergio Martino Collection
Standalone releases of El Topo and The Holy Mountain

andyli

#1831 Post by andyli » Thu May 27, 2021 7:34 am

Is Blind Beast the Masumura Blind Beast? Oh my word!

Pavel

#1832 Post by Pavel » Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 am

Interesting! My original guess when I saw the clue was Masumura's Blind Beast, but then people apparently said it was Dune. Is it for... both?

therewillbeblus

#1833 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 27, 2021 8:02 am

So with Imprint having just announced The Brotherhood of Satan a month or two ago, here’s more evidence of other boutique labels releasing their slate

willoneill

#1834 Post by willoneill » Thu May 27, 2021 8:15 am

Some of the Dune details have leaked on social media, and it includes two new commentaries. And Imprint today announced The Straight Story with a new commentary as well. Am I crazy or did Lynch not allow commentaries on his films before? Wasn't there some hubbub with Kino's Lost Highway release and an announced commentary a few years back?

therewillbeblus

#1835 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 am

I believe you’re correct, maybe this only holds up in the U.S., presuming that the Arrow isn’t U.S./U.K.?

Ribs

#1836 Post by Ribs » Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 am

willoneill wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:15 am
Some of the Dune details have leaked on social media, and it includes two new commentaries. And Imprint today announced The Straight Story with a new commentary as well. Am I crazy or did Lynch not allow commentaries on his films before? Wasn't there some hubbub with Kino's Lost Highway release and an announced commentary a few years back?
I do not know the Australian rightsholder but I would expect in both the UK and US The Straight Story is the one movie where he isn’t afforded the same contractual power over stuff he might get on everything else (belonging to Disney and Film4 respectively). I think because of their Film4 deal some people have assumed Indicator will get to it eventually which would be nice.

Wasn’t part of the issue with Lost Highway just that he resented it not being licensed by Criterion and refused to work with Kino? I expect for a movie he’s essentially disowned like Dune that is not as much of a concern.

dwk

#1837 Post by dwk » Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 am

Lynch doesnt allow commentaries which is why he blocked the one on Kino's release even though he had no hand in the release.

He might not have contractual veto power over a Dune release, or, since he disowns the film, he might not care.

MichaelB

#1838 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 27, 2021 10:19 am

See also Play It Again Sam and The Front, easily mistaken for Woody Allen films (especially the former, as he wrote it as well), but directed by others for different studios and therefore not subject to the restrictions that Allen imposes on his own work (i.e. no extras bar the trailer).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1839 Post by swo17 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:40 am

I wonder what the Martino collection will include--perhaps a repackage of all the previous releases plus the Kat Ellinger book?

willoneill

#1840 Post by willoneill » Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am

dwk wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 am
Lynch doesnt allow commentaries which is why he blocked the one on Kino's release even though he had no hand in the release.

He might not have contractual veto power over a Dune release, or, since he disowns the film, he might not care.
Definitely possible, but he seems to care enough to block the extended cut from being included (I'm of course speculating based on comments on Twitter).

yoloswegmaster

#1841 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu May 27, 2021 10:49 am

It's just a box containing the previous releases of 'The Case of a Scorpion's Tail', 'Suspicious Death of a Minor', and 'Your Vice is a Locked Room'.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1842 Post by swo17 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:02 am

But not Torso?

yoloswegmaster

#1843 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu May 27, 2021 11:18 am

Nope, here is what the box will look like:

dwk

#1844 Post by dwk » Thu May 27, 2021 11:21 am

Torso was a US only release, so it is possible that the US version of the Martino set will include it.
willoneill wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am
Definitely possible, but he seems to care enough to block the extended cut from being included (I'm of course speculating based on comments on Twitter).
That could be Universal blocking the extended cut.

beamish14

#1845 Post by beamish14 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:41 am

dwk wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:21 am
Torso was a US only release, so it is possible that the US version of the Martino set will include it.
willoneill wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am
That could be Universal blocking the extended cut.

Universal/De Laurentiis did include it in their steelbook DVD from years ago, and I'm optimistic it'll get a release again.

So excited about these Masamura releases. For years, Fantomas was the only company giving him any love in the West.

beamish14

#1846 Post by beamish14 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:54 am

The Sammon commentary for Dune should be good, but I was hoping they might have Ed Naha, whose book on the make of it is one of the most comprehensive ever devoted to a single film, and he saw most of the shooting first-hand.

JamesF

#1847 Post by JamesF » Fri May 28, 2021 2:33 am

From what I gather, Naha was never actually on set, but wrote the book much later by watching the many, many hours of behind-the-scenes video shot by Kenneth Godwin and Anatol Pacanowski and taking notes. Sammon was on set and his featurette Destination Dune is one of the few surviving records of the shoot.

As for the extended cut, needless to say if it were up to me we’d have the extended cut in HD with an option to watch with the Irulan prologue and I’d have probably chucked in the SD master of the original two-part TV airing for good measure - but it’s not up to me so we can’t, and I can’t really say much more. C’est la vie.

Boosmahn

#1848 Post by Boosmahn » Fri May 28, 2021 4:41 am

What a great month! Blind Beast has been on my radar for a few years now, Dinner in America sounds right up my alley, and if there is any release of Dune to get, this is the one. Additionally, I've been eyeing two of those Sergio Martino films, and I ought to watch Jodorowsky's work.

I was intrigued by The Brotherhood of Satan for a minute, and then promptly found out it's (apparently) awful. I already have the Artificial Eye release of A Tale of Two Sisters, which I will probably sell -- not to buy the Arrow release, but because I simply don't like that movie!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1849 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 28, 2021 10:00 am

Boosmahn wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:41 am

I was intrigued by The Brotherhood of Satan for a minute, and then promptly found out it's (apparently) awful.
Found out by who? I think it's great, and it received several votes in our Horror List. It's easily, and I mean easily, one of the best horror films of the 70s, especially compared to some of the titles Arrow has foisted on an unsuspecting populace.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1850 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:00 am
Boosmahn wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:41 am

I was intrigued by The Brotherhood of Satan for a minute, and then promptly found out it's (apparently) awful.
Found out by who? I think it's great, and it received several votes in our Horror List. It's easily, and I mean easily, one of the best horror films of the 70s, especially compared to some of the titles Arrow has foisted on an unsuspecting populace.
I can vouch for domino here; it’s substantially better than the vast majority of Arrow’s horror releases, and one of the better satanic horror films