News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

#276 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:45 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 pm
Thanks Swo17. Possibly because this was released about the same time as Carruth’s public self-destruction, it seems no review disks were ever sent out and I can find no reviews of this release anywhere. I already have the Primer DVD and original Upstream Color Blu-ray release. I have been trying to find out whether the Primer image is an improvement over the DVD. Given that both films share a single disk leaves this ambiguous, and I’m guessing that Upstream Color is still transferred at the bit-rate typical of a single-layer disc and likely no better (and hopefully not worse) than the original Blu-ray.

Any pros or cons to report on this one?
I've only sampled, but I'm actually going to say that both films look noticeably better than their prior releases. This isn't necessarily that surprising for a 1-disc release when you consider that the two films are less than 3 hours in total, that it's the same slim pickings for extras (actually, Upstream Color adds an isolated score track), that even the prior Blu-ray is pretty old, and that Arrow knows what they're doing with encodes

JamesF

#277 Post by JamesF » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:57 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 pm
Thanks Swo17. Possibly because this was released about the same time as Carruth’s public self-destruction, it seems no review disks were ever sent out and I can find no reviews of this release anywhere. I already have the Primer DVD and original Upstream Color Blu-ray release. I have been trying to find out whether the Primer image is an improvement over the DVD. Given that both films share a single disk leaves this ambiguous, and I’m guessing that Upstream Color is still transferred at the bit-rate typical of a single-layer disc and likely no better (and hopefully not worse) than the original Blu-ray.

Any pros or cons to report on this one?
Obviously I'm biased in that I work for Arrow and oversaw the release, but to answer some of your questions:
- There's never been a booklet with it
- If you want to see the films in HD, there's no other better option. Forget the worrying about bitrates from two films being on one disc, as that's a red herring - a) they're both relatively short (Primer is only 77 mins), b) bitrates basically mean next to nothing above a certain point as long as the encoder knows what they're doing, which ours does.
- You get all the extras from previous editions (such as they are) plus an isolated score for UC.
- You won't get a better release of these films now. We wanted to originally, but for various reasons (Carruth's difficulties in particular, but not exclusively) that I obviously can't get into on a public forum (sorry), this is the best we could do.

therewillbeblus

#278 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:12 pm

My copy of Sailor Suit and Machine Gun came with a booklet, which is the first title I've ordered that came with an Arrow booklet in as long as I can remember, including new releases. Hopefully that doesn't indicate that's it's an extremely poor seller...

DeprongMori

#279 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Of my relatively recent Arrow purchases from a variety of sources…

Booklets:
• Come Drink With Me
• 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
• Spotlight on a Murderer
• Toto the Hero
• Pulp
• The Witches
• Red Angel
• Irezumi
• Giants and Toys
• Red Angel
• Blind Beast
• Black Test Car / Black Report
• The Sheltering Sky

Without Booklets:
• JSA
• Three Films by Jia Zhangke
• The Major and the Minor
• The Merchant of Four Seasons / Beware of a Holy Whore
• Hotel du Nord

ryannichols7

#280 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:31 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:12 pm
My copy of Sailor Suit and Machine Gun came with a booklet, which is the first title I've ordered that came with an Arrow booklet in as long as I can remember, including new releases. Hopefully that doesn't indicate that's it's an extremely poor seller...
I was at Barnes and Noble and saw a copy that didn't have a slipcover but did have a booklet! I'd say a good seller, and glad Arrow is keeping booklets for longer runs

TMDaines

#281 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:56 am

Anyone ordered Killer Nun, Who Saw Her Die or Django from the Arrow US store recently? What are my odds like of getting booklets?

Glowingwabbit

#282 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:14 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:56 am
Anyone ordered Killer Nun, Who Saw Her Die or Django from the Arrow US store recently? What are my odds like of getting booklets?
Zero. Isn't Django now just the special edition now. I think only the box came.with a booklet.

TMDaines

#283 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:14 am
TMDaines wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:56 am
Zero. Isn't Django now just the special edition now. I think only the box came.with a booklet.
Ahh, yes. The Steelbook is still about with slimmer booklet. What about the other two? Some titles seem to hang around a lot longer with booklets.

TMDaines

#284 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:33 am

I got a booklet for Killer Nun in both a copy ordered from Amazon US and Arrow US. No booklet for Who Saw Her Die from Amazon US. I did not try Arrow US. Maybe I should have?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#285 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:22 pm

Was downright shocked to receive Amour fou from the recent sale and discovering it had a booklet. It came out in 2017!

Boosmahn

#286 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:36 pm

I bought Aniara from the UK store, and it came with a booklet. Southland Tales did not, despite me buying the limited edition and it saying "limited edition" on the back? Strangely, it also didn't come with a slipcover.

therewillbeblus

#287 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:06 pm

I've also come across situations where I jump on an Arrow blu upon announcement and it comes with the LE slipcover but there's no booklet inside

Adam X

#288 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:02 am

Both releases are from the dark days that spawned this thread. It’s more unexpected that either of them had a booklet. Aniara’s a great film, so not sure what that says about it’s popularity.

The Southland Tales LE also has the longer Cannes cut on a second disc, so you presumably still got that.

Boosmahn

#289 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:28 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:06 pm
I've also come across situations where I jump on an Arrow blu upon announcement and it comes with the LE slipcover but there's no booklet inside
I wonder if there are newer slipcover-less releases out there with booklets...
Adam X wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:02 am
Both releases are from the dark days that spawned this thread. It’s more unexpected that either of them had a booklet. Aniara’s a great film, so not sure what that says about it’s popularity.

The Southland Tales LE also has the longer Cannes cut on a second disc, so you presumably still got that.
I was very surprised about Aniara having a booklet. Less so about Phantom of the Paradise, though I was expecting one for Nightfall -- now I see another member didn't get one as far back as 2020.

Southland Tales did come with the Cannes cut, thankfully. The Arrow site has a PDF of the booklet, so I won't contact them (not that they're likely to have a physical one).

DeprongMori

#290 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Three I picked up this month, which all miraculously had booklets. The first two had the slipcovers as well.

Sleep, January 25, 2022
Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, November 16, 2021
To Sleep So as to Dream, March 22, 2022

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#291 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 pm

Bought Viva L’Italia from Hamilton Book and it had a booklet