218 Ishtar [release cancelled]

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 218 Ishtar [release cancelled]

#101 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:55 am

I admit I'm a bit jealous of people who got those checkdiscs (though I guess in this case, it was early enough that those only went to direct contributors to the release).

yoloswegmaster

Re: 218 Ishtar

#102 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:45 pm
I'll be curious if MichaelB is able to weigh in at all, though I'm sure that'll come with its understandable limitations. This seems like a major flub, or else reflects some very unstable facets of the industry that makes me much less confidant about California Split ever materializing. I don't know why Indicator wouldn't be able to release a film they announced over a year before 'officially' announcing it, but I'm very curious to hear more about the compromises that were dealbreakers for each side. I share the frustrations around this cancelation, but if the Altman is in jeopardy due to a) legal issues, b) Indicator's rigidity, or c) a combination of Indicator/powerhouse's inability/difficulty navigating these legal issues, then it'd be cool to know what those are and what, if anything, can be done about moving the goalposts. This is certainly not making me very optimistic about the security of planned releases, but I'm in the "anger"/hysterical stage of grief (pedantic note: the five stages of grief are not clinically sound and often disproven in modern texts, though if/when they do occur, there is no set linear order or completion of said stages- that's just not how grief operates nor how Kübler-Ross intended them to be interpreted).
The daughter of writer/director Joseph Walsh confirmed on reddit that the blu-ray release for California Split is still in the works and that they are looking into the status of it.

hearthesilence

Re: 218 Ishtar [release cancelled]

#103 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 am

FWIW, one of the Indicator extras can be heard here on Lincoln Center's Soundcloud account. It's not quite the same as they also splice in excerpts from the 1999 Chaplin Award Gala honoring Mike Nichols (hence the comments from Meryl Streep, Matthew Broderick, and Nora Ephron).