250-255 Mae West in Hollywood, 1932-1943

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: 250-255 Mae West in Hollywood, 1932-1943

#26 Post by soundchaser » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm

zedz wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:24 pm
soundchaser wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:38 am
Without necessarily commenting on her physical appearance: her singing alone is unbearable.

The one film in this set I've seen lives or dies on her being some kind of goddess (it's the only narrative beat), and the incongruity is probably a tough hurdle for most to overcome.
Isn't that the joke?
If it was a joke, I'm not sure the film let me in on it. (I could also have missed it entirely!)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#27 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Assuming you're talking about She Done Him Wrong, I also see no way of reading that film as employing West's performance in some sort of ironic juxtaposition fashion, at least not now. Some of those readings almost strike me as ahistorical, given how successful she was a sincerely-marketed sex symbol. It's not like anyone writing about her at the time, from academics to Kenneth Anger, treated her work from this period as ironic/camp material...

ethel

#28 Post by ethel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:41 am

I just realised why straight men are not sought after as commentators on this repertoire.

Mae West was seen at the time to (very effectively) mock the patriarchy and its iron bias against women's sexual and social autonomy. She simply laughed at its hypocrisy, rather than cowered in the face of it.

Many audiences then and since found this attitude tremendously attractive - fresh, bold and entertaining. Mae West had already had a long and controversial career on Broadway, writing and staging plays dealing boldly with straight and gay sex.

It is important for newcomers to these films to understand that the moralistic Production Code had been inactive for years, and it was the response of the Catholic Church, conservative women's groups, and the Legion of Decency (really) which caused the Code to be rigorously enforced. In most studies of the Code era, it was Mae West's I'm No Angel which drove these groups to threaten a ruinous boycott of Hollywood product unless the Code was taken deadly seriously. Faced with a threat of economic consequences, Hollywood buckled at once. There was no rating system, so ALL films had to be fit for children and maiden aunts born in the nineteenth century in the provinces.

It would be thousands of small towns all over the US which would be decisive in the box office returns, and they demonstrated they were not prepared to accept modern, big city ways. And so Hollywood was infantilised for thirty years, unable to treat social change, or social challenges in any frank or daring ways.

Anyone wondering why Mae West seemed to lose her mojo must understand that her scripts were vetted after 1933 to scour every line, every word, every costume, every gesture, every inflection for even the mildest double entendre, which was then removed. Night After Night, She Done Him Wrong, and I'm No Angel were the only films to appear largely as West intended them. All the rest without exception had her lively magic systematically extinguished, and she left Hollywood to pursue a career as a nightclub performer in 1943. The mandarins of the Production Code continue their work today in China, North Korea, and soon in Afghanistan.

To those who think West was a naif, recall that F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote at the time, "The only Hollywood actress with both an ironic edge and a comic spark".

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:22 am

British theatre censorship (a going concern from the 1730s to the 1960s) was also keen on vetting things line by line - and, as with Mae West, its imposition was the direct result of the work of a single artist, in this case Henry Fielding, who was pretty much rendered unemployable in the theatre overnight (as the whole raison d'être of Fielding's satires was that they were outrageously near the knuckle), although at least we got his magnificent novel Tom Jones out of the fallout - he might not have written it otherwise, as he was doing very nicely in the theatre. Even in the 1960s, there was a Lord Chamberlain's report into a John Osborne play which spells out that there must not be any noticeable pause before the final word of the line "she thinks the sun shines out of her face".

Although theatre censorship had more of a challenge in that performers were quite capable of going off-script - I remember they had a particular headache with the original production of The Bed-Sitting Room, where co-author Spike Milligan rarely stuck to the scripted lines, much as the Marx Brothers would do three or four decades earlier. Of course, the Marxes also fell victims to Production Code shenanigans - thankfully, a pre-Code print of Animal Crackers was discovered in the BFI National Archive, but the original 1932 release version of Horse Feathers remains MIA.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:35 am

ethel wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:41 am
And so Hollywood was infantilised for thirty years, unable to treat social change, or social challenges in any frank or daring ways.
Firstly, I appreciate the well-crafted response, even if I don't think you're quite on target with a lot of you points. Almost surely anyone reading this who knows enough to know who Mae West was also knows about the Hays Office et al, so I don't think a reminder is in order. But I have to take umbrage with the claim that the Code "infantalised" Hollywood film for three decades. For all the modern fervor over rediscovering naughty bits in pre-code films, the fact is the restrictions of the code caused filmmakers to find ways around it and this creativity is what makes the studio system output of the era, especially during the height of the system in the forties, so fascinating. I suspect someone who knows as much as you do also knows this isn't a claim that holds up when looking at the evidence.

And stating that West's initial popularity was based on the appeal of her mocking the patriarchy and not, you know, delivering comical innuendos is pure revisionism. I don't doubt much of her later appeal is found in her alleged subversiveness, but sometimes it's a simple as it looks: mass audiences by and large like bawdy humor, and it was no different back in the early 30s when she came on the scene. And I'll let the ghost of Mae West riff on that last line...

Furstemberg

#31 Post by Furstemberg » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:35 am
But I have to take umbrage with the claim that the Code "infantalised" Hollywood film for three decades. For all the modern fervor over rediscovering naughty bits in pre-code films, the fact is the restrictions of the code caused filmmakers to find ways around it and this creativity is what makes the studio system output of the era, especially during the height of the system in the forties, so fascinating.
Your last paragraph is on point but with the above I disagree. It didn't cause all filmmakers to find ways around it, and those who did shouldn't have had to; most ended up coming to unsatisfying conclusions for films that would've been better without the Code.

Orlac

#32 Post by Orlac » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 pm
In one of his commentaries, Roger Corman has a good chuckle about the MGM lion at the start, because the film certainly wasn’t an MGM production when it was made.
There's a weird irony that MGM no longer owns Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz , Singin' in the Rain or 2001...but they do have Troll 2!

criterionsnob

#34 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am

Release date moved to December 13, per latest Indicator newsletter “in order to allow us the time we need to accommodate an exciting new addition to this already expansive set.”

CSM126

#35 Post by CSM126 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 am

At long last, Sextette on blu-ray

yoloswegmaster

#36 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

CSM126 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 am
At long last, Sextette on blu-ray
Wrong, they are going to be adding Myra Breckinridge to this set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:25 pm

I’d actually pick this up if it had Myra Breckinridge in it, but I’m not holding breath on that one!

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:41 am

Final specs:

Disc 1: Night After Night/She Done Him Wrong

Disc 2: I'm No Angel/Belle of the Nineties

Disc 3: Goin' To Town/Klondike Annie

Disc 4: Go West Young Man/Every Day's a Holiday

Disc 5: My Little Chickadee

Disc 6: The Heat's On

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#39 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 am

It looks like the main additions are the 1982 TV movie biopic and three Walter Lantz shorts

Finch

#41 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:06 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#42 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:33 am

From a technical standpoint, Indicator mostly make due with what is available but I was surprised in some cases by how limited the results are. Belle of the Nineties borders on SD upscale, many restorations (based on 4k scans) are still extremely limited (Judex and Tih-Minh, silent movies 15 years older, are humpteen times better better) and it's to a point the older obviously-EEd HD masters yield a more pleasing PQ. In particular, they tend to be much more stable and much cleaner, but as a whole and despite part of this possibly coming from the EE, they do look more precise.
Only a couple of 4k-type masters are a bit better looking : My Little Chickadee (which however likely is grain managed) and I'm No Angel.

Finch

#43 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Cineoutsider review
This has to be a strong contender for the title of Indicator’s most ambitious release yet, bringing together ten films – eleven if you count the Mae West TV movie in the special features – with a slew of special features, every one of which is relevant and none of which substantially duplicates the others.