Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#826 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 25, 2022 7:13 pm

rapta wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 pm
I think the rumours started due to people asking about specific titles when Indicator were in their first couple of years of releases and at least one was confirmed (IIRC, Gideon's Day), which lead to speculation of a 'Ford at Columbia' box set. Turned out to be true!
Although if I remember rightly a box set only ended up on the drawing board at a comparatively late stage. That's why Gideon's Day is region-free and the rest Region B - it was licensed much earlier under Sony's pre-2019 terms and conditions, and originally intended to be a standalone release.

Still, at least those rumours had actual substance behind them - there are some annoyingly pervasive ones doing the rounds that very much don't. Basically, if you can't explicitly link a rumour directly to an actual member of the Powerhouse team, the chances are that it isn't happening.

Furstemberg

#827 Post by Furstemberg » Fri May 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Why do Universal, Sony, and Paramount require Indicator to region-lock their discs while allowing Imprint to go region-free?

MichaelB

#828 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Furstemberg wrote:Why do Universal, Sony, and Paramount require Indicator to region-lock their discs while allowing Imprint to go region-free?
You’ll have to ask them.

Stefan Andersson

#829 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:27 pm

If Indicator is still releasing Columbia titles, here are a few suggestions:
The Key, Carol Reed
Fire Down Below, Robert Parrish
Damn the Defiant!, Lewis Gilbert (I know there is an Imprint Bluray)

Also:
The Purple Plain, Robert Parrish
Rough Shoot, Robert Parrish; written by Eric Ambler from a Geoffrey Household novel; does UA still distribute this Raymond Stross production?

+1 vote for
Black Book/Reign of Terror
Baby the Rain Must Fall
Blake Edwards comedies at Columbia including his 1980s films
Judy Holliday at Columbia
Frank Capra at Columbia
Region B releases of Classicflix masters for Raw Deal and T-Men

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#830 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:39 am

Mr. Deltoid

#831 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:26 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:39 am
First thing that came to mind was Bernard Rose's Paperhouse, but it's been years (and I mean like 25!) since I last watched it?

Edit: nevermind, someone on bluray.com has identified it as Carnal Knowledge.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#832 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:46 am

Ovader

#833 Post by Ovader » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:14 am

Wild in the Streets 1968?

Calvin

#834 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:50 pm

It appears to be John Krish's The Man Who Had Power Over Women.

What A Disgrace

#835 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:01 pm

Throw in some of his classic docs in HD as extras and I'll consider the main feature.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#836 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:09 pm

More Krish sounds great!

Calvin

#837 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:15 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:01 pm
Throw in some of his classic docs in HD as extras and I'll consider the main feature.
Fingers crossed.

There's probably a decent chance that one of his Children's Film Foundation features will be included as well as Indicator have dipped into that well a few times already.

What A Disgrace

#838 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:15 pm

Going back to Requiem for a Village, I wonder how many formerly-BFI releases Indicator plans to release (and, better, improve upon for the US market). The Flipside strand has a couple of very nice titles, obviously - Sleepwalker, Herostratus, and Duffer/Moon Over the Alley are all titles I've been recommending to some of my cinephile friends for years, to little avail due to their aversion for importing, in addition to Requiem, and Lunch Hour also seems like it would be something up their vague yet strangely specific alley. Outside of Flipside, the BFI's Jeff Keen set has been OOP on Blu-ray for about a decade or so, and might be a compelling enough curiosity for Indicator to put out stateside. The restorations of Humphrey Jennings and John Krish's key films also have yet to see any kind of US release, and might be ideal for a boxed set (Krish's films, particularly for the COI, would definitely find appeal among the cult film weirdos, as they did for me).

Finch

#839 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Indicator newsletter reveals December titles:
Released on 5 December in the UK, REMEMBER THE NIGHT is a sparkling comedy from the pen of the mighty Preston Sturges (The Great McGinty, Sullivan's Travels). Directed by Mitchell Leisen (Hold Back the Dawn), this much-loved festive romance paired screen legends Barbara Stanwyck (The Lady Eve, Forty Guns) and Fred MacMurray (Double Indemnity, The Absent-Minded Professor) for the very first time.

Also on 5 December in the UK comes the spaghetti western classic THE BIG GUNDOWN (La resa dei conti). Directed by the great Sergio Sollima (Face to Face, Violent City), with a politically charged screenplay by Sergio Donati (Once Upon a Time in the West) and Franco Solinas (The Battle of Algiers) and a rousing score by Ennio Morricone, THE BIG GUNDOWN gave Lee Van Cleef his first starring role, and featured a career-defining turn by Tomas Milian. This Limited Edition includes three versions of the film on two Blu-rays – the US theatrical cut, the extended US cut, and the original 110-minute Italian version.

Finally, on 5 December in the UK, and 6 December in the US, we release the two-disc Blu-ray set ENTER SANTO: THE FIRST ADVENTURES OF THE SILVER-MASKED MAN, presenting the earliest films starring the legendary luchador El Santo. Featuring Santo vs. Evil Brain (Santo contra cerebro del mal) and Santo vs. Infernal Men (Santo contra hombres infernales), Indicator proudly presents the birth of a cinematic legend, folk hero, and icon of Mexican popular culture. US customers can pre-order ENTER SANTO from Diabolik right now.

All three titles are available in deluxe, individually numbered Limited Editions, featuring new and archival extra features, posters and 80-page books.
Last edited by Finch on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#840 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Also:

VERY LOW STOCK
IRREVERSIBLE
TAKE A GIRL LIKE YOU
THE TRIPLE ECHO (UK edition)

LOW STOCK
TOWN ON TRIAL
TWENTIETH CENTURY
THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE
TIME WITHOUT PITY
SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME
THE PILLOW BOOK
DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS

And coming soon:

Finch

#841 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Note to Criterion: this is how you do announcements.

In for all three releases!

yoloswegmaster

#842 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:22 pm

^ Love to see brand loyalty/warfare pop up unexpectedly.

yoloswegmaster

#843 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Maybe a hint for a Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward boxset that contains the films that they starred in together?

Finch

#844 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:30 pm

I thought it was fair comment since Criterion made commitments to announcing on a specific date throughout the summer only to delay for another day at the end of the original date. I buy from both CC and Indicator and don't feel more loyal to one over the other.

ryannichols7

#845 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:47 pm

I also just love how all three of these are hardbox releases with 80 page booklets. again, I support both, but I know who makes me feel like my money went somewhere

rapta

#846 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:36 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm
swo17 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Maybe a hint for a Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward boxset that contains the films that they starred in together?
That would be nice, but I thought the same when Remember the Night was teased, thinking it might be part of a Leisen or Sturges box set. Turns out it's on its own!

Somebody on BR.com mentioned this was from They Might Be Giants, which Newman didn't actually star in but did produce. Since most of the other Newman-Woodward titles are with Fox/Disney or MGM/Amazon, I'm inclined to agree that's what it's teasing.

That said, showing Newman and Woodward together, could it also be W.U.S.A. from Paramount? Seems like the kind of thing Indicator could go for from that catalogue.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:47 pm
I also just love how all three of these are hardbox releases with 80 page booklets. again, I support both, but I know who makes me feel like my money went somewhere
These do feel like substantial releases, and I'm tempted to go for the bundle again this month. That said, I did hold back on the August bundle and just got The Swimmer and Madigan (now delayed to September, with the subsequent monthly releases also push back a month). I will get the Robin Hood at Hammer set eventually, but I didn't feel an urgency to pick it up immediately. I'll admit, whilst I'd like to support Mexican releases, I'm not 100% decided on the Santo double-bill for similar reasons. Anyway, I've got a month to decide whether to get the bundle or not! :)

Really happy about The Big Gundown especially, but Remember the Night is one I'm also really looking forward to. Great we're getting such great titles just before Christmas!

mistakaninja

#847 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm

Newman didn't have a tache for WUSA, and Woodward's hair and the brooch on her lapel match They Might Be Giants.

Aunt Peg

#848 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:39 am

If only it was Mr. & Mrs. Bridge.

hearthesilence

#849 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:50 am

I'm surprised Cohen hasn't done Mr. & Mrs. Bridge yet. Ivory himself says it's his personal favorite of his own films (mine too) so I imagine he's lobbied for it, especially given his close relationship to them. He's even appearing at Quad Cinema yet again tomorrow night.

DeprongMori

#850 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:54 am

mistakaninja wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm
Newman didn't have a tache for WUSA, and Woodward's hair and the brooch on her lapel match They Might Be Giants.
Certainly so.

I only hope that their release of They Might Be Giants makes the deleted ‘supermarket riot’ selectable rather than forced. That the scene is forced on the KL Studio Classics release is the only reason why I don’t already own this. I love the film, but find that scene superfluous and destructive, breaking the spell that has been cast by that point in the film. Fingers crossed Indicator does it right.