Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

beamish14

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#851 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:52 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:54 am
mistakaninja wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm
Newman didn't have a tache for WUSA, and Woodward's hair and the brooch on her lapel match They Might Be Giants.
Certainly so.

I only hope that their release of They Might Be Giants makes the deleted ‘supermarket riot’ selectable rather than forced. That the scene is forced on the KL Studio Classics release is the only reason why I don’t already own this. I love the film, but find that scene superfluous and destructive, breaking the spell that has been cast by that point in the film. Fingers crossed Indicator does it right.

Like Sometimes a Great Notion and Minnie & Moskowitz, 2 other Universal films from the same year, it has never had a home video release that matches how audiences first saw it

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#852 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:08 pm

We also wanted to trail two bits of big news. First, our annual October sale will be coming soon – and promises to be the biggest and best yet. We will be posting more information soon, so please keep an eye out on our various social media accounts...

Secondly, in a few weeks' time we will be announcing our January 2023 titles. And, just as the start of 2022 saw the launch of our INDICATOR line in the US and Canada, so too will the new year see an exciting development for us: the appearance of the first INDICATOR 4K UHD titles, for the UK and US. We won't say any more at this moment, so stay tuned for more details in our October announcement!

What A Disgrace

#853 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Any guess as to what this is from?

Pavel

#854 Post by Pavel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm

It’s from Jean Rollin’s The Nude Vampire, and I hope that this clue is permission enough for me to say that Indicator are working on a 4K Rollin set (I know from a friend that’s working on it)

rapta

#855 Post by rapta » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:59 pm

Pavel wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm
It’s from Jean Rollin’s The Nude Vampire, and I hope that this clue is permission enough for me to say that Indicator are working on a 4K Rollin set (I know from a friend that’s working on it)
Guessing that's a January title then! Makes sense, there are loads of Rollin films available on Park Circus (most of his output in fact), and Indicator have licensed from Screenbound before (who released loads of Rollin titles in the UK). Guessing they decided it was worth doing a big set, and upgrading them to 4K!

Curious to see what other UHD titles they have for January. Hoping they do Blu-ray editions as well, or else I won't be buying them...don't plan on going 4K anytime soon, too pricy and I'm very happy with HD!

therewillbeblus

#856 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:02 pm

To my knowledge, I've never seen a Jean Rollin film. Where should I start to know whether or not this box is for me?

Grand Wazoo

#857 Post by Grand Wazoo » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:04 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:02 pm
To my knowledge, I've never seen a Jean Rollin film. Where should I start to know whether or not this box is for me?
Fascination is by far my fave.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#858 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

It's a slippery slope from Rollin to Jess Franco but I kinda like The Iron Rose and The Grapes of Death

dadaistnun

#859 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:24 pm

I'll second Grapes of Death and also highly recommend Night of the Hunted, though I've only seen a half dozen of his films.

reaky

#860 Post by reaky » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:35 pm

I’d vote for Le Frisson des Vampires and Levres de Sang. Though Rollin’s work can be ropey, and occasionally plain cheapo exploitation, there’s no doubt he was an auteur. Count the beaches, vampires and pirates in his films!

dwk

#861 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm
It's a slippery slope from Rollin to Jess Franco but I kinda like The Iron Rose and The Grapes of Death
Too late

dwk

#862 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:50 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
If you subscribe to the Criterion Channel, they are adding two Rollin titles in October Fascination and The Living Dead Girl.

colinr0380

#863 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:03 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Here's the Eurotika episode on Rollin (NSFW)

I really like the dreamy atmosphere of Rollin. Fascination is probably the best starting point and probably his most accessible film. His vampire girl films are his key ones especially his trilogy (The Rape of the Vampire, The Nude Vampire and Shiver of the Vampires) followed up by Requiem For A Vampire (which he followed up/remade in 1997 with Two Orphan Vampires). Something to cross fingers for would be if Indicator could re-print the novella adaptations of some of his films that Redemption released.

I really like his zombie film The Grapes of Death (but then I love Brigitte Lahaie, who gets an unforgettable cameo scene, and the electronic score) but it is quite different from his vampire films. His other zombie film The Living Dead Girl was notoriously heavily edited in its VHS release in the late 1990s (I think by over three and half minutes in its Redemption VHS release) so it would be a coup if that could be released. And his third zombie film, Zombie Lake, is perhaps better passed over without comment, or treated as a goofy comedy!

And while they are probably only for the Rollin fans, I really like his bizarre 90s takes on the serial killer femme fatale film (Killing Car) and adventure film (The SIdewalks of Bangkok). The thing about Rollin is that at his best he creates a really beautiful, dreamy (if languorous) atmosphere that is rather hypnotic. You don't really go to his films for the plots but the combination of surreal imagery, beautiful women and interestingly poetic eroticism.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

therewillbeblus

#864 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:19 pm

I enjoyed Fascination quite a bit. It really involved you in this perverse world of compulsions, reinforcing the value in desire divorced from logic through aesthetic interest, planting the viewer as an outsider that is being seduced by the thrills of seduction. There are so many moments that contain strange interactions between people where no one is following a logic from our world (like the scene in the stable with the thief and his girlfriend facing off in a game of seduction-chicken with one of the principal women sans rationale) but that spell cast really worked for me as we built towards a conclusion where the spiritual nature of desire can trump corporeal merits, even if the assailant can't apply reason to the final choice- it's just felt. The whole movie works as that vibe.

I also watched The Grapes of Death, which I didn't like as much, but had enough positives to keep me engaged. I thought the plot was ridiculous, in a good way, and Rollin effectively explored novel areas of stimulation, taking advantages of opportunities for narrative elasticity rooted in such an absurd premise. He knows he can really do anything with this one, and delivers with mild satisfactions, even if I was wanting a bit more in the end.

yoloswegmaster

#865 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 am

It's said that the clue is for Frank Capra's State of the Union:

L.A.

#866 Post by L.A. » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:19 am

The Colossus of Rhodes (1961), is this something Indicator would be interested in?

dwk

#867 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:42 am

L.A. wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:19 am
The Colossus of Rhodes (1961), is this something Indicator would be interested in?
Warner Brothers owns that.

L.A.

#868 Post by L.A. » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 am

dwk wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:42 am
L.A. wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:19 am
Warner Brothers owns that.
How about the longer Italian cut, who would be the owner in this case?

I still think this deserves a better, stacked release with both cuts included.

dwk

#869 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:39 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 am

I would assume that it would still require striking a deal with both WB (to release the title in their regions) and the Italian owner (to access the longer cut.)

beamish14

#870 Post by beamish14 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:06 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:39 pm
L.A. wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 am

I would assume that it would still require striking a deal with both WB (to release the title in their regions) and the Italian owner (to access the longer cut.)
Emir Kusturica’s Arizona Dream has a similar issue with its WB-owned truncated version and the original cut. Really wish all parties could resolve their issues with it

MichaelB

#871 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:09 pm

A gentle reminder that this thread is called Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainment, not Random Stuff That I Fancy.

In other words, if there hasn't been an actual indication, it probably doesn't belong here.

By way of comparison, the Rollin write-ups are fine, because there has been an indication of incoming Indicator entertainment from that particular quarter.

L.A.

#872 Post by L.A. » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:32 pm

Ok, delete those posts then.

ryannichols7

#873 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:39 pm

Dracula is still confirmed to be coming by Indicator on the other label

beamish14

#874 Post by beamish14 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:43 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:39 pm

I’ve never lost faith!

rapta

#875 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:54 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:39 pm
Of course it's still coming! They even printed and sent out teaser postcards, and other than Carnal Knowledge, it's the only one not yet formally announced.

Wondering when the next announcements will be in fact, as the January slate has been pushed back to February now. Hopefully early December, as we would've typically had announcements today (last Thursday of the month). Guessing the recent delays coupled with the anticipation of their first UHD titles (as well as this Rollin set...will that be UHD too, I wonder? And will Dracula?) means they want to get the specs right before they announce.

Still a couple of other titles teased that haven't been announced yet. From memory, they include Thunderbolt (von Sternberg) and not clear from the Angela Lansbury tease, but potentially State of the Union (Capra). Any others I'm forgetting? Presumably we'll get Universal Noir #2 in Q2/Q3 as well.