Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#526 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 pm

Isn't it likely that we're getting Thunderbolt and She Done Him Wrong in some sort of pre-Code box? Given how rare it is for Indicator to release pre-1940s films? Also, I saw She Done Him Wrong in 35 a few years ago and really didn't think it was that great.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#527 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:11 pm

It's not a great movie, which is why I think people are assuming it will be part of a star-based set centered around Mae West with the extras probably being more interesting than the films!

KJones77

#528 Post by KJones77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 pm

Drucker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 pm
Isn't it likely that we're getting Thunderbolt and She Done Him Wrong in some sort of pre-Code box? Given how rare it is for Indicator to release pre-1940s films? Also, I saw She Done Him Wrong in 35 a few years ago and really didn't think it was that great.
They did do The Criminal Code and Twentieth Century (albeit the latter is higher profile) on their own.

Thunderbolt could be good in a set of Von Sternberg films or on its own. She Done Him Wrong smells like a Mae West set, as Domino said.

I'd be somewhat surprised to see them paired together, though a set of pre-code films would be awesome.
Last edited by KJones77 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

senseabove

#529 Post by senseabove » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Yeah, She Done Him Wrong's not particularly good... but I'm No Angel also just had a 4k restoration, so that seems like another thing in favor of indicating a box.

reaky

#530 Post by reaky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Boosmahn wrote:I wonder what the theme of the sixth Hammer box will be. This might be a stretch, but could it be "animals?" I'm not well-versed in Hammer's filmography, but I do know they produced The Abominable Snowman, which also features a killer animal/beast.
The best Hammers not yet on blu in the UK are The Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass 2, The Abominable Snowman, X the Unknown and Frankenstein Created Woman. Throw in Shadow of the Cat, but I still can’t make a themed group out them, other than Hammer Volume Six: Eek!

Dr Amicus

#531 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 pm

The Ugly Duckling has been named as a likely candidate for one of the boxes, and I would add Vampire Circus as a notable absentee as a UK Hammer Blu. Actually, I don't think The Nanny or The Anniversay are out here either - could be the start of a Deadly Family box with Shadow of the Cat!

reaky

#532 Post by reaky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm

Duckling; Cat; Nanny; Circus. You’ve cracked it: Hammer Volume Six: Menagerie of Menace!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#533 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm

Who has the rights to the Nanny in the UK? It’s Fox in the states

reaky

#534 Post by reaky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Studio Canal released it last on DVD.

colinr0380

#535 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Sadly if the other Bette Davis Hammer, The Anniversary is a 20th Century Fox production it is probably out of reach.

rapta

#536 Post by rapta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm

reaky wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 pm
Boosmahn wrote:I wonder what the theme of the sixth Hammer box will be. This might be a stretch, but could it be "animals?" I'm not well-versed in Hammer's filmography, but I do know they produced The Abominable Snowman, which also features a killer animal/beast.
The best Hammers not yet on blu in the UK are The Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass 2, The Abominable Snowman, X the Unknown and Frankenstein Created Woman. Throw in Shadow of the Cat, but I still can’t make a themed group out them, other than Hammer Volume Six: Eek!
Hoping they do a Quatermass set comprising of The Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass 2 and X the Unknown (I assume Quatermass and the Pit is off bounds as StudioCanal themselves released it) and would like to see The Abominable Snowman released too. Perhaps that last one will be in the next Hammer set (along with The Ugly Duckling, The Shadow of the Cat, and presumably something else less exciting).

Dr Amicus

#537 Post by Dr Amicus » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:06 am

There's always the pre Quatermass SF(ISH) films, HD scans permitting. Spaceways, Four Sided Triangle and a couple I can't remember off hand.

AidanKing

#538 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:17 am

The Tavianis' 'Good Morning Babylon' is predominantly in English but I don't know who holds the rights.

MichaelB

#539 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:30 am

I thought you were proposing that for a Hammer box for a moment!

Anyway, I’m rather fond of that film, and for multiple reasons, but I have no idea who owns the rights - it had multiple production companies, of which MK2 is geographically closest to the UK (and they released my French DVD), but that may well be meaningless.

(And it’s odd to think about Edward R. Pressman being one of the executive producers after only just reacquainting myself with his performance in Crimewave!)

AidanKing

#540 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 am

Sorry, just a random post as I don't really know who else might release the film!

Do you remember how the mk2 DVD deals with the languages (i.e. is the Italian only subtitled in French; is the English translated via forced subtitles)? Don't worry if you can't remember, but thanks in advance if you can!

MichaelB

#541 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:13 am

I always thought that it was a natural Arrow Academy title, but that’s mainly because they’ve already released three Taviani films and they’re naturally inclined towards Italian arthouse cinema.

AidanKing

#542 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:38 am

Good point, but I think the producers of the DVDs and BluRays in question have moved on.... mainly to Indicator!?! Arrow seem to have much less interest in Italian cinema these days.

Sorry if I have turned this into a bit of a niche discussion!

MichaelB

#543 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 am

Although the producer of Arrow’s Taviani box does indeed now work mainly for Indicator, he was never involved in film acquisition for either label.

rapta

#544 Post by rapta » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 am

For some reason only just realised Kino Lorber and Indicator have released many of the same titles in the recent past, including many StudioCanal titles. Would hope they'll consider things like Soldier Blue, Narrow Margin, and potentially even Ulysses (didn't notice it at first but saw that the restoration was by StudioCanal). And lots of interesting Universal titles too - Raggedy Man, Puzzle of a Downfall Child, Lonely are the Brave, Cry Freedom, Madigan, The Sign of the Cross, The Cat and the Canary, Lubitsch's Angel. I'd love to see some Clint Eastwood too (Two Mules for Sister Sara would be great).

I suppose we won't see all of those though, as the masters are probably of varying quality, and there'd obviously have to be a certain amount of appeal for their perceived audience (whereas KL seem to release everything they can get their hands on). I'm sure most of these will appear in the UK at some point anyway, I just think Indicator will make the most use of them!

Ribs

#545 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 am

I would describe Indicator’s Universal licenses as fairly choose-y, in the sense there aren’t very many of them, whereas Kino licenses giant 60-title deals and releases them in like three months. So while I can imagine some overlap happens (especially as Arrow and Eureka also license from Universal) in all likelihood it would probably be helpful to just assume the Kino release will be it for most titles.

AidanKing

#546 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:Although the producer of Arrow’s Taviani box does indeed now work mainly for Indicator, he was never involved in film acquisition for either label.
More's the pity! I suspect we might get a fantastic feast of cinema on BluRay if he was (and were to be given access to the necessary budgets, of course).

MichaelB

#547 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 am
I would describe Indicator’s Universal licenses as fairly choose-y, in the sense there aren’t very many of them, whereas Kino licenses giant 60-title deals and releases them in like three months. So while I can imagine some overlap happens (especially as Arrow and Eureka also license from Universal) in all likelihood it would probably be helpful to just assume the Kino release will be it for most titles.
Yes, as was pointed out repeatedly when Indicator first launched, while it dipped into the same Sony pool as Twilight Time, it was emphatically not "the British Twilight time" and had no pretensions towards being so. And, by the same token, it's also not the British Kino Lorber, which has a vastly greater monthly output.

Realistically, the current Indicator team can't put out more than four to six titles per month without either hiring more people or cutting presentational/curatorial corners that they don't want to cut, and they also have cultural priorities of their own (for instance, a much stronger focus on British cinema), so the overlap is always going to be pretty tiny.

patreig

#548 Post by patreig » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:22 am

AidanKing wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 am
Do you remember how the mk2 DVD deals with the languages (i.e. is the Italian only subtitled in French; is the English translated via forced subtitles)? Don't worry if you can't remember, but thanks in advance if you can!
It's either no subtitles at all or French subtitles throughout the movie.

AidanKing

#549 Post by AidanKing » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:32 am

Thank you very much for that information. I thought that might be the case. Hopefully, Arrow might be interested in releasing some more films from the Tavianis at some point, although I suspect not as it has been quite a long time since the previous excellent set.

MichaelB

#550 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 am

They've basically done the big three - the others are much less commercially appealing, and a fair chunk of their output has never been released in the UK. Something like Allonsanfan would make a marvellous Blu-ray if properly restored (it was an easy choice when Sight & Sound asked me to contribute to their Lost and Found column nine years ago - i.e. just before Caesar Must Die unexpectedly put them under the spotlight again), and it would be perfect for Arrow Academy as it ticks quite a few boxes - not least the fact that it showcases both Marcello Mastroianni and Ennio Morricone on blistering form.

But the stuff before that is strictly box-set territory with a lot of cultural contextualisation needed. Basically, the treatment given to Krzysztof Kieślowski a year ago, but with the major drawback that the Tavianis' early political films are completely unknown in the UK and will never realistically rise above ultra-niche appeal - The Subversives (1967), for instance, is about political disillusionment in the wake of Italian Communist Party co-founder Palmiro Togliatti's death, and I seriously doubt that the Tavianis envisaged it ever getting an audience outside Italy.

The post-Babylon films tend to be much of a muchness - the Tavianis are congenitally incapable of making a bad film, but aside from parts of The Lark Farm (which almost certainly would have got UK distribution if Italian cinema was still as fashionable in the UK in the mid-2000s as it was in the 1980s), none of them resonated with me to the extent that the big three did.