Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

dwk

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#676 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am

Most everything they have released already has US releaseases, so I'm not expecting very many of their back catalog titles to get US versions.

What A Disgrace

#677 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 am

MichaelB, can you tell us how the spine numbers will work? If there are any US exclusive releases, how would their spine numbers be handled?

MichaelB

#678 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 am

I can’t answer this (or anything else) for reasons already given.

Furstemberg

#679 Post by Furstemberg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:07 am

And when can we expect the announcement from Indicator?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#680 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:12 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 am
I can’t answer this (or anything else) for reasons already given.
Can you please at least confirm whether they're going to start putting out NFTs?

therewillbeblus

#681 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:13 am

Furstemberg wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:07 am
And when can we expect the announcement from Indicator?
The newsletter said the first titles will be released in January so I imagine we'll hear an announcement by the end of next month

MichaelB

#682 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:12 am
Can you please at least confirm whether they're going to start putting out NFTs?
Clearly a trick question, as they've been including classic NFT interviews for many years already.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#683 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am

I just want to know that every Indicator I buy will be the one true copy

rapta

#684 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:16 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am
Most everything they have released already has US releaseases, so I'm not expecting very many of their back catalog titles to get US versions.
Yup, for example:

Mae West in Hollywood - Kino Lorber
Gray Lady Down - Shout Factory
Hellfighters - Mill Creek
Jagged Edge - Image (OOP?)
Corruption - Grindhouse
The People Next Door - Scorpion
The Day of the Dolphin - Kino Lorber
The Big Fix - Twilight Time
Eye of the Cat - Shout Factory
Someone to Watch Over Me - Shout Factory
Fatherland - Twilight Time
Carla's Song - Twilight Time
The Chalk Garden - Kino Lorber
Crimewave - Shout Factory
The Valdez Horses - Kino Lorber
Geronimo: An American Legend - Twilight Time

...and that's just new titles from this year. Admittedly some of those licenses will expire or already have (especially the Twilight TIme ones), and I missed out some Universal titles that were released by the studio in the US, so will depend if Universal play ball with Indicator releasing 'competitive' editions.

My guess is it'll mostly be Sony titles with the occasional cult film or rarity that the various US labels haven't managed to cover (which will still limit them; as you can see above, there are several operational labels interested in these kinds of titles). And I suppose going forward, Indicator will be considering US/Canadian rights when acquiring new licenses, but that goes without saying.

Despite what a few people have pre-empted on the Blu-ray forums, I don't see the problem with them reissuing now-OOP Limited Edition titles in the US/Canada if they can, as it'll just make them more available. Clearly if there's still a lot of demand they could make some copies available to UK customers as well (presumably some of these titles could even be locked to Region A/B or Region A/B/C, if they were Sony titles for example).

Anyway, excited to hear the official announcements, hopefully soon! I'm sure they will be announcing titles for both territories at the same time, which just means these will be easier available across the pond and North American collectors will no doubt have to rely less on importing! A similar sigh of relief to when Criterion decided to come to the UK, albeit with far more transparency I'd imagine (Criterion still leave us guessing what their next move will be).

dwk

#685 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Theoretically Universal titles would be available for dual territory releases, but Kino's model of licensing 50-100 titles at a time likely has removed a number of films that Indicator would have had interest in.

Pavel

Re: 224 The Blockhouse

#686 Post by Pavel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:14 am

Is this the first set of Indicator titles to be limited to 2,000 copies?

MichaelB

#687 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:06 am

2,000 exclusively for the UK market. I don't know how many are being produced for North America, but I imagine the total number of limited editions in circulation will be at least equivalent to the old 3,000.

So it shouldn't have any impact on purchasers at all.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#688 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 am

Pavel wrote:Is this the first set of Indicator titles to be limited to 2,000 copies?
I saw that too and like Michael, I suspect it will be completed by the runs for the US.

dwk

#689 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

I would assume that it is 2,000 UK and 2,000 US, but they may want to see what the early pre-orders are before settling on a number for the US.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#690 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm

There are five times as many potential customers in the U.S. though. Do we know how Arrow allocates their limited print runs between the two countries?

dwk

#691 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:21 pm

One instance of Arrow announcing more North American than UK copies of a limited edition was the big Battles Without Honor and Humanity boxset and they ended up reducing the number of units for the NA market and increasing the number for the UK. And since then they usually do the same number of limited editions for both markets. Which is why, probably incorrectly, I assume that Indicator will do the same.

Furstemberg

#692 Post by Furstemberg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Now that Indicator is releasing in the US, I’d love if we got Twentieth Century here as well. Though I have a feeling that the US will get only those titles that are licensed outside of the existing major studio deals (such as the last announced slate).

Ribs

#693 Post by Ribs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:50 pm

I wouldn’t assume that; if Arrow is able to release Sony titles in the US (and they have), then surely Indicator who have the strongest relationship with them out of any UK label will be able to as well. I wouldn’t assume it would be retroactive but I expect where possible they will be able to get dual territories for Columbia and possibly Universal titles.

kindaikun

#694 Post by kindaikun » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:52 am

Haven’t seen this mentioned elsewhere:
The archivist hopes that Permanencia Voluntaria’s films will find a wider audience next year when some of them are released on Blu-ray by the Indicator label of the British company Powerhouse Films. The series will include the first two Santo films, female wrestling movies, and Mexico’s first two talking horror pictures, La llorona (The Weeping Woman) and El fantasma del convento (The Phantom of the Convent).
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... voluntaria

Glowingwabbit

#695 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:49 am

kindaikun wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:52 am
The archivist hopes that Permanencia Voluntaria’s films will find a wider audience next year when some of them are released on Blu-ray by the Indicator label of the British company Powerhouse Films. The series will include the first two Santo films, female wrestling movies, and Mexico’s first two talking horror pictures, La llorona (The Weeping Woman) and El fantasma del convento (The Phantom of the Convent).
Well that's exciting news. I have La llorona on my list of films to see from the Woodlands folk horror doc as it's shown briefly when talking about Mexico. It'll be nice to get some early Mexican horror on actual disc with great supplements instead of the VCI BD-R nonsense.

Finch

#696 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Sale extended to Monday. Also per newsletter,

VERY LOW STOCK
CHARLIE BUBBLES
FRAGMENT OF FEAR
FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG
THE THIRD SECRET
THE TRIPLE ECHO
BELLMAN & TRUE
OLEANNA
GUMSHOE
MARLENE DIETRICH & JOSEF VON STERNBERG AT PARAMOUNT (1930–1935)
THE MAD MAGICIAN
YOUNG WINSTON
ENDLESS NIGHT
A DAY IN THE DEATH OF JOE EGG
THE FU MANCHU CYCLE, 1965-1969
THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE
SHIP OF FOOLS
THE NATIONAL HEALTH
FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE
THE SNAKE PIT
CISCO PIKE
CRIMEWAVE
PSYCHE 59
TOWN ON TRIAL

LOW STOCK
TAKE A GIRL LIKE YOU
OTLEY
SECRET CEREMONY
A SEVERED HEAD
THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN-IN-THE-MOON MARIGOLDS
TIME WITHOUT PITY
THE PILLOW BOOK
R.P.M.
BEAST MUST DIE, THE
THE MISSIONARY
TRACK 29
BADGE 373
TWENTIETH CENTURY
LIGHT SLEEPER

rapta

#697 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:38 pm

kindaikun wrote:
Very exciting! Just posted on BR.com to say perhaps they'll be releasing these as double-bills? For example The Weeping Woman/The Phantom of the Convent, Santo vs. the Evil Brain/Santo vs. the Infernal Men, The Panther Women/The Batwoman etc. Would make sense to do it that way! :)

Glowingwabbit

#698 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:08 pm

rapta wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:38 pm
kindaikun wrote:
Very exciting! Just posted on BR.com to say perhaps they'll be releasing these as double-bills? For example The Weeping Woman/The Phantom of the Convent, Santo vs. the Evil Brain/Santo vs. the Infernal Men, The Panther Women/The Batwoman etc. Would make sense to do it that way! :)
Oh I like that they are doing double bills. If they did a box set I'd probably be happy to buy that as well but this is likely a better way to sell. Definitely will be grabbing the La llorona double.

beamish14

#699 Post by beamish14 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:11 pm

Has there been any updates on Badham's Dracula or Diary of a Mad Housewife? I'd much rather support Indicator than Shout Factory or especially Kino...

MichaelB

#700 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:19 pm

They're both still on the way, but I don't have a release date for either.