Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

SeizureMilk

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#926 Post by SeizureMilk » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:19 am
If you ran a label with a pretty eclectic slate and consequently had a varied customer base with differing expectations, would you think it especially wise to devote two consecutive months to the same rather niche filmmaker?
No not at all, just saying that I expected maybe 1 of the titles to be under the Rollin name, the other 2 are good but were totally unexpected from my POV. Thank you for reading.

What A Disgrace

#927 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:50 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:52 am
The newsletter clue is for Fritz Lang's You and Me.
Another Paramount-To-Universal acquisition. Probably get its own release, but maybe a Paramount Noir collection?

ryannichols7

#928 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:32 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:50 pm
Finch wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:52 am
The newsletter clue is for Fritz Lang's You and Me.
Another Paramount-To-Universal acquisition. Probably get its own release, but maybe a Paramount Noir collection?
curious to see what route they go with this. it could easily be a standalone (The Big Heat is obviously a "big" title but Ministry of Fear not as much, and that got a sweet edition) since Lang is an awfully big name to box, but Arrow boxed a Lang title not too long ago. I was trying to come up with some sort of Lang boxset that Indicator could tackle, but only You Only Live Once (which really could use a better release, I do hope they get to it) and Scarlet Street (which shockingly hasn't come out in the UK) are the ones that seem available. there's quite a few Fox titles that would've made for a great boxset, but one could only dream there...

I do think we'll see Paramount Noir at some point, the question will be whether they "finish" Universal Noir first (since they seem to have done so with Columbia) or mix the two. Imprint have released quite a few candidates in their Noir boxsets that could fit the bill, none of which have UK releases

MichaelB

#929 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:49 am

There will be more Universal Noir boxes, and they will not contain Paramount-produced titles.

Stefan Andersson

#930 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:22 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:49 am
There will be more Universal Noir boxes, and they will not contain Paramount-produced titles.
+1 vote for Siodmak - The Suspect - Criss Cross

The Burglar (1957) starring Dan Duryea wasn´t included in any of the Columbia Noir boxes. Could it be a possible future Indicator release?

ChunkyLover

#931 Post by ChunkyLover » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:24 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:22 pm
Arrow will be releasing "The Suspect" via their "Four Film Noir Classics Vol. 2" box set and Eureka still have the license for "Criss Cross".

Stefan Andersson

#932 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:44 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:24 pm
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:22 pm
Arrow will be releasing "The Suspect" via their "Four Film Noir Classics Vol. 2" box set and Eureka still have the license for "Criss Cross".
Thanks for this update! Good to hear!

ryannichols7

#933 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:36 am

rapta wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm
In fact, Light Sleeper is another StudioCanal title much like Roadgames and Buffalo Bill - I'd love to see them tackle Extreme Prejudice, Nickelodeon, Carnal Knowledge, Panic in Year Zero, The Silent Partner, One from the Heart, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez, Honky Tonk Freeway? Maybe even Manhunter, The Cotton Club, Near Dark or Jacob's Ladder if they allowed!
watching Carnal Knowledge on the ancient MGM flip DVD and for a minute after remembering Indicator had it forthcoming, I was doubly excited because I thought for a minute it meant they had an MGM deal. but I forgot the Embassy Pictures catalog is Canal in the UK, thank you for reminding me. alas...but hey, as long as the Mike Nichols film happens I'll be pleased. it's ridiculous it's never received a better release!

MichaelB

#934 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:42 am

It is indeed licensed from StudioCanal, but it is definitely coming.

ryannichols7

#935 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:42 am
It is indeed licensed from StudioCanal, but it is definitely coming.
thank you, I know these kinds of posts annoy you (I saw all the ones you answered about poor California Split) but this is one where I was just astounded by how "bad" our existing copies of the film are! as always, going to be well worth the wait

therewillbeblus

#936 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:48 pm

In such a divisive world, it's nice that we can all collectively lament the tragedy of California Split's buried status without a dissenting voice, and I would hope we could say the same for the excitement around Carnal Knowledge's release. A truly great film that engages its audience on an adult-level (through the irony of tracking its characters trapped in immature developmental stages, only with empathy for the state and without cheaply condescending to them)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#937 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:44 pm

Agreed. Carnal Knowledge is incredible and the restoration looked superb, so I'm excited to get my hands on a home video edition.

DeprongMori

#938 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 pm

<deleted>

beamish14

#939 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:26 pm

Fingers crossed for a Jules Feiffer commentary.

Crimlaw25

#940 Post by Crimlaw25 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am

This was long rumored to be a Criterion release. I wonder if Criterion still intends to release Carnal Knowledge in the U.S. (if Indicator’s release is region locked) since it was previously a Criterion laserdisc release. It’s a shame if forego doing so. They also passed on Burn!, another long-rumored laserdisc title, which was picked up by Imprint.

DeprongMori

#941 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:22 am

Someone on Facebook has provided the full photo still for the clue in this month’s newsletter. It is Josef von Sternberg’s Jet Pilot (1957).

I wonder if we’ll ever get The Shanghai Gesture (1941).

rapta

#942 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:22 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:22 am
Someone on Facebook has provided the full photo still for the clue in this month’s newsletter. It is Josef von Sternberg’s Jet Pilot (1957).

I wonder if we’ll ever get The Shanghai Gesture (1941).
As I mentioned elsewhere, this is the second von Sternberg title to be teased now, the other being Thunderbolt (1929). I reckon there's a good chance they might also be doing An American Tragedy (1931) as it's also with Universal, and might even try and get Underworld and/or The Docks of New York from Paramount if they can (but last I asked about that studio it didn't sound promising...so far we've only ever had two Paramount titles from Indicator; Bullfight and the Lady, and Badge 373).

Crimlaw25

#943 Post by Crimlaw25 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 pm

Murphy’s War is also from Paramount.

MichaelB

#944 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:06 pm

Crimlaw25 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 pm
Murphy’s War is also from Paramount.
Only in the US. In the UK, it was initially handled by a long-defunct outfit called London Screen, and the rights ultimately ended up with HandMade Films, from whom Powerhouse licensed it.

Crimlaw25

#945 Post by Crimlaw25 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:35 pm

In the UK, Paramount appears to be working with Eureka and, recently, with Arrow, based on The Assassination Bureau and Black Sunday.

ryannichols7

#946 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 pm

Crimlaw25 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am
This was long rumored to be a Criterion release. I wonder if Criterion still intends to release Carnal Knowledge in the U.S. (if Indicator’s release is region locked) since it was previously a Criterion laserdisc release. It’s a shame if forego doing so. They also passed on Burn!, another long-rumored laserdisc title, which was picked up by Imprint.
Imprint only holds the Australian rights to Burn! and their release is only for Australia (but can of course be easily imported). the rights of which have nothing to do with a potential US release, which will almost certainly come from Criterion, as the Kino Lorber Insider confirmed it was "with another label", which usually translates to Criterion. another title which they've been rumored to have for over 10 years
Crimlaw25 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:35 pm
In the UK, Paramount appears to be working with Eureka and, recently, with Arrow, based on The Assassination Bureau and Black Sunday.
both of those Arrow releases are US only. meaning there must be some UK label who has the rights to them, as I'd imagine Arrow wouldn't pass up releasing The Assassination Bureau in the UK, as its much bigger of a UK title than a US one

I'm interested to see what Indicator does with Jet Pilot - KL included no extras on their stateside release, and I'm sure there's plenty that can be covered with John Wayne and Janet Leigh

bottlesofsmoke

#947 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 pm
I'm interested to see what Indicator does with Jet Pilot - KL included no extras on their stateside release, and I'm sure there's plenty that can be covered with John Wayne and Janet Leigh
Not to mention Howard Hughes, Hughes’ RKO, the long production time, different aspect ratios, multiple directors, and the fact that Hughes sat on film for years before releasing it. It’s a film ripe for a commentary and visual essay, at least!

rapta

#948 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:08 pm

Crimlaw25 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:35 pm
Indeed, UK boutiques have licensed from Paramount, but only in small deals over the past few years.

Eureka managed to get a handful in 2021/2022 such as The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Prophecy, Johnny Guitar, Champion and The Sun Shines Bright, but nothing since then. They're obviously enquiring, but haven't had the go-ahead on anything yet.

From what I've heard, there's a similar situation at BFI and Indicator too. BFI got a little burst of Paramount licenses in 2021/2022 as well - The Pawnbroker, One of Our Aircraft is Missing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Men - but again, nothing since (apart from Targets, which we're still waiting on after Paramount made them wait for the new master, which they apparently offered to Criterion recently). Indicator have only managed to get two Paramount titles so far for the UK - Badge 373 and Bullfighter and the Lady - and haven't had much luck since from what I've been told whenever I asked.

Arrow, on the other hand, have had no luck in recent years with regards to UK rights to Paramount titles, but recently announced a couple of US exclusives from the Paramount vaults. A huge shame they didn't manage to get those titles in the UK; I was especially disappointed Black Sunday wasn't being released here as I've wanted a copy of it for years now, and was hoping this had finally made it here, only to discover it would be US-only (and region locked too, to add insult to injury).

It's still a mystery what's going on with Paramount in the UK, but some have mentioned it could be something to do with Paramount+. Then again, in other territories where the streaming service is active, boutiques don't seem to have much trouble licensing Paramount titles, so who knows what the issue is. From what I've heard from Eureka, Indicator and BFI, they often submit lists of titles to Paramount and don't hear back for months or even years, with very few being approved and most others not (it took Eureka a few years to secure Johnny Guitar, for example, and they never did manage to secure China Gate for their Fuller box set).
Last edited by rapta on Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#949 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:11 pm

Murphy's War was a UK-only release

ryannichols7

#950 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 pm
Not to mention Howard Hughes, Hughes’ RKO, the long production time, different aspect ratios, multiple directors, and the fact that Hughes sat on film for years before releasing it. It’s a film ripe for a commentary and visual essay, at least!
now we're talking (shows how little I know about the film, and am excited to learn). this actually sounds like a perfect title for Indicator to put out, as they seem to have no problem digging deep into maligned titles with interesting histories. I hope Tony Rayns is contributing in some way - he's always an invaluable resource on Sternberg, alongside Tag Gallagher of course