Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#651 Post by soundchaser » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Very surprising to hear Sony was so protective of Ishtar, given that (as far as I know) they haven’t made trouble for Indicator in the past.

Manifesting a Caprice UHD release next year.

rapta

#652 Post by rapta » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:42 am

soundchaser wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 pm
Very surprising to hear Sony was so protective of Ishtar, given that (as far as I know) they haven’t made trouble for Indicator in the past.

Manifesting a Caprice UHD release next year.
I don't think it would have been Sony themselves as a whole, but it could've been someone who had significant sway in regards to the film. Whether it was Elaine May and/or Warren Beatty, or an executive at Sony who has still feels burnt by the release of the film, it's obviously a sensitive subject for at least one player involved.

Like you say, it doesn't sound like Sony to be so difficult. From what I've heard in the past, studios like Paramount have been far more pernickety when it comes the extras production (commentaries, booklets etc).

Anyway, happy to hear about more foreign language titles, 60's British films, and other surprises. Very happy to hear they'll be releasing The Swimmer, was wondering where that had got to (was previously queued up for HMV's Premium Collection from Sony themselves, but never actually appeared). Curious to see what 'huge announcement' as well as merchandise they have lined up for us in a couple of weeks...can't wait!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#653 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am

SOON WE WILL BE FIVE

Apologies in advance to those expecting new release announcements for December; this newsletter will be a little different. Instead, we will be moving the release date of MAE WEST IN HOLLYWOOD, 1932–1943 to 13 December in order to allow us the time we need to accommodate an exciting new addition to this already expansive set. The BUNDLE OFFER will continue to be active until the next new-release announcement.

It is not all bad news, however, as we have been busily working on a number of surprises to coincide with our fifth birthday next month. During October, we’ll be announcing some major news and have a few other treats up our sleeves. (Some of them trailed by Powerhouse Films’ owners Sam Dunn and John Morrissey in the latest Indicator Cast, which you can listen to here.)

jlnight

#654 Post by jlnight » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 pm

The instrument in that photo appears to be a koto (or a couple of koto). That might narrow it down a bit!

ChunkyLover

#655 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:54 pm

A user on Blu-Ray.com is claiming it's from "Tokyo Joe".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#656 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:23 pm

I could see them doing a Bogart set with his Columbia titles (this, Knock On Any Door, Dead Reckoning, and Sirocco)

rapta

#657 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:23 pm
I could see them doing a Bogart set with his Columbia titles (this, Knock On Any Door, Dead Reckoning, and Sirocco)
And The Harder They Fall too (since In a Lonely Place has been taken by Criterion). Knock on Any Door was teased in their initial Columbia Noir announcement, but it does make sense to assemble a Bogart at Columbia set if they can get the right masters to do so. They could add Sahara or Love Affair too (again, materials permitted), maybe even The Caine Mutiny if they fancied it (though Sony would probably make them do a Jason and the Argonauts and use their own disc).

The tease for Tokyo Joe certainly throws weight behind the idea of a Bogart set, and let's see if that's what they've done. It'd be a huge seller for them as well as a great opportunity to celebrate the man. I could see them doing the same for Barbara Stanwyck should they get their hands on some of the early Capra titles from Sony.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#658 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Good calls. Sahara would be the best film of the proposed lot if they included it!

ghostof82

#659 Post by ghostof82 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Indicator releasing films in UHD? My wallet shudders. Hope it's new releases rather than UHD editions of previous releases, I couldn't stand more double or triple-dipping. Although I know I'd succumb yet again.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#660 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm

Christine would make a lot of sense, as it's Spine #1 and has already been done in 4K. Didn't David Mackenzie encode the French release? Would Indicator have the rights to release that version?

ChunkyLover

#661 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm
Christine would make a lot of sense, as it's Spine #1 and has already been done in 4K. Didn't David Mackenzie encode the French release? Would Indicator have the rights to release that version?
I don't know what the circumstances were for Carlotta releasing "Christine" (not to mention L'atelier d'images releasing "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" soon) but Sony have yet to do any 4K licensing in the US and UK (of course, that might change now that Criterion are in the 4K game and Indicator's close relationship with Sony).

Finch

#662 Post by Finch » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm

ghostof82 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:33 pm
I couldn't stand more double or triple-dipping.
Same. At this point, I'll only be upgrading films very dear to me, like The Red Shoes, and brand new films that are sold in dual formats like Possessor Uncut. I can't afford a 4k TV and UHD player anytime soon but am open to future proof releases.

Matt

#663 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm
The Red Shoes and…Possessor Uncut
That’s actually quite an inspired double-feature!

Calvin

#664 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am

Wasn't it said on the podcast that the foreign language films that they're restoring would be released in UHD? It is hard to think what foreign language films that Indicator has licenced would be 'big' enough for them to release on the format. Some Jean-Pierre Jeunet?

EddieLarkin

#665 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:02 am

They say the only UHDs they have planned so far are from a big deal they've done for a lot of foreign language titles. They also say a large box set is planned with titles from the same deal (though it's not clear whether this will be a UHD set).

It's disappointing though to hear basically everyone on the cast (hosts and Indicator alike) talk down UHD re: the pointlessness of 4K resolution especially at typical seating distances, with of course no mention of HDR. One of the hosts does rave about how amazing My Fair Lady and The Ten Commandments look on UHD but does not seem to realise this is due to the HDR (both are from the same restorations as their old BD counterparts), specifically pointing out how UHD makes more sense for 70mm titles because of the increased resolution.

Since Indicator are restoring these titles themselves then hopefully they'll be taking full advantage of the format.

Calvin

#666 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Unless it's a new deal with an international distributor like Gaumont or Pathe, Studio Canal would seem like the most likely candidate for Indicator to do a deal with for a load of foreign language titles. Indicator would seem like a good home for the Canal-owned Belmondo films that they've never released in the UK - Le Professionnel, Peur Sur la Ville, and Weekend at Dunkirk to name a few

What A Disgrace

#667 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Didn't Arrow Video lose the rights to a lot of Mario Bava films recently? Maybe they lost them to Indicator, who are doing their own box.

dwk

#668 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Doubtful, Fran Simeoni mentioned on Twitter that some legal issues popped up on the Bava titles just before their licenses expired.

EddieLarkin

#669 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:02 pm
Unless it's a new deal with an international distributor like Gaumont or Pathe, Studio Canal would seem like the most likely candidate for Indicator to do a deal with for a load of foreign language titles. Indicator would seem like a good home for the Canal-owned Belmondo films that they've never released in the UK - Le Professionnel, Peur Sur la Ville, and Weekend at Dunkirk to name a few
But it's Indicator carrying out the new restorations, and my impression is that Studio Canal always take care of their own stuff in house.
What A Disgrace wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:03 pm
Didn't Arrow Video lose the rights to a lot of Mario Bava films recently? Maybe they lost them to Indicator, who are doing their own box.
That's a good suggestion, and I can see titles like that being the sort that have pushed Indicator to go UHD. Arrow have already done justice to the Alfredo Leone licensed films on Blu-ray, and I can't imagine sales would be good for a different boutique to simply grab them up and put out the same restorations on the same format. But to do new ones for UHD? Well, I'd buy them all again. That Arrow and Blue Underground are seemingly getting a healthy response to their Italian exploitation fare on UHD must help too.

yoloswegmaster

#670 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Indicator will be releasing titles in the U.S.
Distribution Solutions, a division of Alliance Entertainment, has inked a physical media partnership with Powerhouse Films’ U.K.-based label Indicator.

Distribution Solutions will handle sales and distribution of all Powerhouse Films sellthrough releases in the United States and Canada.

The first physical Powerhouse Films releases distributed by Distribution Solutions will be available for purchase in January 2022.

Powerhouse Films has an extensive collection of classic films that includes limited-edition box sets and single-title releases, as well as standard-edition reissues of limited-edition titles that have gone out of print, such as John Carpenter’s Christine, Jacques Tourneur’s Night of the Demon and Dennis Hopper’s The Last Movie.

“We are very excited to be in business with Powerhouse Films,” said Distribution Solutions president Ben Means in a statement. “Partnering internationally with a film label like Indicator, which has such a driven passion for physical media, helps expand the quality and coverage of classic films we distribute to the U.S. and Canada.”

“We’re thrilled to be bringing our unique blend of cult and classic cinema to audiences in the U.S. and Canada in partnership with the fantastic team at Distribution Solutions,” said Powerhouse Films’ co-founder Sam Dunn in a statement. “We’ve been working hard unearthing and restoring a raft of incredible titles in order to put together a schedule that will surprise and delight even the most adventurous viewer.”

“Indicator lovingly curates and enshrines obscure, precious gems for the obsessive collector and the genre connoisseur,” said award-winning filmmaker Guillermo del Toro in a statement.

FrauBlucher

#671 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:36 pm

MichaelB, any idea on what could be getting released here? Does perpee still work with them?

What A Disgrace

#672 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:36 pm

I hope they don't change the spine numbers, in case they do US exclusive releases.

MichaelB

#673 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 am

FrauBlucher wrote:MichaelB, any idea on what could be getting released here? Does perpee still work with them?
Absolutely no point asking either of us, as we can’t pre-empt the official public announcement. Sorry!

(Obviously, we know - but, equally obviously, we can’t say.)

FrauBlucher

#674 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:51 am

Sorry, bad wording. Didn't mean specific titles. What I was looking for is it stuff they already have and are there newer deals in place?

MichaelB

Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#675 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:56 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Sorry, bad wording. Didn't mean specific titles. What I was looking for is it stuff they already have and are there newer deals in place?
I can’t answer this (or anything else) for reasons already given.