Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tolbs1010

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#476 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 pm

rapta wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:35 am
Imprint have just announced Frankenheimer's Black Sunday. I hope if Indicator still have an active Paramount deal, they might consider this film - as well as other titles Imprint have recently released such as The Duellists, Hard Eight, The War of the Worlds, Danger Diabolik, Detective Story, Night Falls on Manhattan, Breakdown, and maybe A Place in the Sun (I've heard The Day of the Locust and Sorry, Wrong Number each have a bad master). Might be worth scouring the Paramount vaults for decent masters - I seem to recall Robert Benton's Bad Company looking half decent, but it might need a cleanup (and I think it might be worth it for such a great film as that).
Bad Company needs a proper release STAT--while Benton and Bridges are both still alive. Such a wry, wise film. Seems like an ideal title for Indicator.

Stefan Andersson

#477 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:55 am

+1 vote for Black Sunday, The Duellists, Hard Eight, Danger Diabolik and Sorry, Wrong Number

Also, votes for Alias Nick Beal, No Way to Treat a Lady and The Assassination Bureau.

Would a Cornell Woolrich at Paramount box set be a possibility? Street of Chance, Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Fear in the Night (1946), No Man of Her Own (1950)?
Alternatively, a Barbara Stanwyck Noir box set w/ No Man of Her Own, File on Thelma Jordon, Sorry Wrong Number and Strange Love of Martha Ivers, restored in 2020 by Paramount:
https://festival.ilcinemaritrovato.it/e ... tha-ivers/

Calvin

#478 Post by Calvin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Isn't Badge 373 the only Paramount title that Indicator have released? That was was over a year ago now, so it doesn't seem terribly likely that there's any more forthcoming.

rapta

#479 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:53 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 pm
rapta wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:35 am
Imprint have just announced Frankenheimer's Black Sunday. I hope if Indicator still have an active Paramount deal, they might consider this film - as well as other titles Imprint have recently released such as The Duellists, Hard Eight, The War of the Worlds, Danger Diabolik, Detective Story, Night Falls on Manhattan, Breakdown, and maybe A Place in the Sun (I've heard The Day of the Locust and Sorry, Wrong Number each have a bad master). Might be worth scouring the Paramount vaults for decent masters - I seem to recall Robert Benton's Bad Company looking half decent, but it might need a cleanup (and I think it might be worth it for such a great film as that).
Bad Company needs a proper release STAT--while Benton and Bridges are both still alive. Such a wry, wise film. Seems like an ideal title for Indicator.
Glad to hear someone else loves it as much as me! One of the best Bridges performances I've seen, and even features David Huddleston aka the other Jeffrey Lebowski himself! I'm guessing the Coen Brothers were big fans as well.
Calvin wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 pm
Isn't Badge 373 the only Paramount title that Indicator have released? That was was over a year ago now, so it doesn't seem terribly likely that there's any more forthcoming.
I think they licensed that when a new Paramount representative was getting settled in his new job - overseeing home video sub-licensing in the UK market - and as far as I know Indicator wouldn't just give up after one title. Especially when there are other labels like Eureka, BFI and Arrow getting in on the fun (and I'm guessing Criterion will join them soon and start porting stuff over...Days of Heaven here we come). I expect we'll see a flurry of new Paramount titles in the new year. In fact I'd be very surprised if they just stopped there.

tolbs1010

#480 Post by tolbs1010 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:53 pm

As a young actor, Bridges had an eye for offbeat material and characters, despite his traditional leading man looks. He had an incredible run of unique, quality films starting with The Last Picture Show and ending with Cutter's Way. Bad Company is one of the best and most overlooked in that run. The Last American Hero is another. Bought the German blu ray of that one. Decent transfer, no extras.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#481 Post by soundchaser » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:37 am

According to the latest episode of Indicator Cast, California Split and Dracula are still coming; the former is currently held up (unsurprisingly) by clearance issues, and the latter by elements for the color version.

The whole thing’s worth a listen if you want to know a little more about the label’s history or the licensing process.

therewillbeblus

#482 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:35 am

Re: California Split, do they give any indication (sorry) of progress towards the light at the end of the tunnel, or is the tone that this release is still in indefinite limbo like it has been?

Pavel

#483 Post by Pavel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 am

No, they just said that they still have it under license, that they hope everything can be resolved soon and that it will cost them a lot of money (but they love the film and really want to release it).

therewillbeblus

#484 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks, Pavel. Sounds like it's more of an "if" than a "when" sadly, but I appreciate Indicator's public stress of this commitment so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

beamish14

#485 Post by beamish14 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Indicator's quality standards are so high. Eagerly anticipating Badham's Dracula!

rapta

#486 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Pavel wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 am
No, they just said that they still have it under license, that they hope everything can be resolved soon and that it will cost them a lot of money (but they love the film and really want to release it).
That's dedication, folks. I loved this film and cannot wait to get my hands on it to see it again. Too right they're holding on tight, they probably know Criterion are right behind them!

beamish14

#487 Post by beamish14 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:53 pm

any updates on Diary of a Mad Housewife? I really hope they can get the TV version, which feels like a completely different movie.

tolbs1010

#488 Post by tolbs1010 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks for the California Split news! Kudos to Indicator for taking the time to get this one right. In addition to restoring the scenes with music rights issues, I can't think of another Altman film that is more in need of a proper video and audio clean-up. New Gould, Segal, and Joseph Walsh interviews would be great, too.

Pavel

#489 Post by Pavel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:32 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:53 pm
any updates on Diary of a Mad Housewife? I really hope they can get the TV version, which feels like a completely different movie.
They didn't comment on that one.

beamish14

#490 Post by beamish14 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:00 pm
Thanks for the California Split news! Kudos to Indicator for taking the time to get this one right. In addition to restoring the scenes with music rights issues, I can't think of another Altman film that is more in need of a proper video and audio clean-up. New Gould, Segal, and Joseph Walsh interviews would be great, too.

I adore California Split, but the unavailability of H*E*A*L*T*H is very frustrating, and I definitely think it's a major work that deserves a reappraisal.
It was released in 2 different versions as well, and I believe only the revised cut has ever aired on American television (the Fox Movie Channel).

MichaelB

#491 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Fox films simply aren't available for licensing right now.

And whether they ever will be again remains a wide-open question.

Finch

#492 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:43 pm

^^ And to think it's all because of fucking Disney +.

pzadvance

#493 Post by pzadvance » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:03 pm

beamish14 wrote:
tolbs1010 wrote:

I adore California Split, but the unavailability of H*E*A*L*T*H is very frustrating, and I definitely think it's a major work that deserves a reappraisal.
It was released in 2 different versions as well, and I believe only the revised cut has ever aired on American television (the Fox Movie Channel).
First off, strongly agree. Secondly, where did you hear about the multiple versions? Would love to read about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapta

#494 Post by rapta » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:59 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:33 pm
Fox films simply aren't available for licensing right now.

And whether they ever will be again remains a wide-open question.
Is the MGM library still available to license from, Michael? If so presumably it could be possible to get Thieves Like Us, Fool for Love, OC & Stiggs or The Delinquents?

And if Powerhouse would be adverse to yet another studio deal, there's always The Gingerbread Man from Universal or Dr. T & the Women from Sony. I assume - but I could be wrong - The Player or Short Cuts might be harder to get but those would obviously be the ones to go for (Paramount had them both in the UK before, but who knows if they still hold the rights).

Calvin

#495 Post by Calvin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:47 am

Finch wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:43 pm
^^ And to think it's all because of fucking Disney +.
I suspect that there's something preventing the release of HealtH that predates the Disney takeover of Fox. I know that Arrow looked into it years ago.

The Altman I'd be most interested in seeing Indicator get is Secret Honor - which, as far as I can tell, hasn't had a UK release since this VHS release via Hendring Limited in 1989 that carried a rather prescient tagline. Criterion obviously have it in the States, but don't seem to be in a rush to upgrade it.

MichaelB

#496 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:53 am

Calvin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:47 am
I suspect that there's something preventing the release of HealtH that predates the Disney takeover of Fox. I know that Arrow looked into it years ago.
It may well be something as simple as the lack of an existing HD master and Fox's reluctance to allow access to pre-print materials for a fresh scan. Arrow was forced to release The Seven Minutes on DVD even though they'd have been more than happy to pay for a high-def scan, but Fox said no repeatedly (and even after Arrow exploiting personal contacts to see if there was any way round the official position). Thankfully their SD master was open-matte rather than pan-and-scan - I've rarely been so thrilled to see so much headroom!

Aunt Peg

#497 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 am

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm
tolbs1010 wrote:

Absolutely. I've never understood the very lukewarm response to H*E*A*L*T*H. I was lucky enough to see it at a festival screening after Fox had decided to basically dump the film. I know it got a couple of weeks run in New York in the early 80's and probably cable TV and maybe even fee-to-air TV. I certainly rank it as one of Altman's very best works. The 1981 Sydney Film Festival were extremely lucky to get H*E*A*L*T*H which Fox had no intention of released as well as Quintet which still hadn't been screened in Australia in 1981. Funnily enough, Fox did release A Perfect Couple 'down under' by barely anybody saw the film and it never got a home video release which at least A Wedding & Quintet did do. 3 Women was a staple of the repertory circuit for year and continues to be.

I do know that Fox were locked into a 5 picture deal with Altman that Alan Ladd Jr. started in 1976. After the commercial failure of 3 Women, A Wedding & Quintet, Fox barely gave A Perfect Couple and more so H*E*A*L*T*H a look in. By the time they were due for release Ladd Jr. had left Fox.

I've also heard, though don't know how accurate this is but there may be music rights issues with H*E*A*L*T*H as Altman just sort of picked a group of musicians of the street so to speak to appear in the film. Regardless, every Altman film deserves a Blu Ray release.

beamish14

#498 Post by beamish14 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 pm

pzadvance wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:03 pm
beamish14 wrote:
tolbs1010 wrote:

First off, strongly agree. Secondly, where did you hear about the multiple versions? Would love to read about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe Patrick McGilligan's stunningly comprehensive biography Robert Altman: Jumping Off a Cliff goes into
the different versions and its troubled release history a bit. Amazingly, Ronald Reagan's diaries note that he saw it in 1982, and he called it
his least-favorite film ever, probably not truly understanding that it parodies what was happening with American politics by that point in time.
Drew Struzan was commissioned to make a poster, and one of his books actually shows his design, but there is no title or credits on it-just
his illustration of the principal cast.

Regarding O.C. & Stiggs, that one I was fortunate enough to see in 35mm. You can't tell with the poor DVD MGM released, but it's
an incredibly vibrant-looking movie.

MichaelB

#499 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Can this discussion be moved to the dedicated Altman thread? It's not really on-topic here any more.

Pavel

#500 Post by Pavel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:05 am

Can someone post the newsletter clue, it's not showing up for me? (Not that I'll have any idea where it's from, but still.)