On Ordering Indicator Releases

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Adam X

Re: On Ordering Indicator Releases

#376 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:08 am

As someone who's recently been through a lengthy lockdown:

1. It depends on where they're based (and where you are) & specific restrictions on how their distribution operates. Buying likely won't be affected, but shipping may. Royal Mail currently isn't shipping to Europe (- Ireland) & I just got told by an English ebay seller that they couldn't currently ship anything to Australia (as in they wouldn't accept his parcel) - though he was told this was likely only for a couple of days. But generally, like everywhere else, shipping'll most often just take longer than usual.

2. FedEx is definitely faster, like all couriers when it comes to int'l shipping. But thanks to the double threat of COVID & Xmas, everything's slowed down. Tracked ROW I'm pretty sure isn't intended to be faster, you're just paying for actual tracking on regular postage.

Unless it's urgent, I'd honestly wait until after New Year's to order anything.

Gerald Christie

#377 Post by Gerald Christie » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks Adam X! You were very helpful. I ended up ordering three titles. I chose FedEX International Priority, hopefully it is indeed faster.

Adam X

#378 Post by Adam X » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:35 pm

You’re welcome, hope it works out.

rockysds

#379 Post by rockysds » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:09 am

From the newsletter:

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS

Our website is now able to remove VAT for international orders. From today, orders from outside the UK will have the VAT deducted once the delivery address has been entered at checkout. We regret to say that VAT deductions cannot be retrospectively applied.

Ribs

#380 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 am

Wow, that's great - though I mentally had the bones of a £200 order for free shipping in my head that I now need to add 20% to to get to the limit, but that's an alright problem to have. It feels like there's been just no good news from any UK storefront about improving international shipping since everything went so horrible so this is a bit of a surprise.

therewillbeblus

#381 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

When I run the massive order I've had sitting in limbo debating to purchase (£214 worth) through Paypal, it comes out to be the exact same figure as the last few weeks, so I'm not sure if this VAT removal doesn't work with Paypal or I'm just missing something

Pavel

#382 Post by Pavel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am

Did you go to the payment section? That's when it removed the VAT for me, the price was the same on the shipping section.

therewillbeblus

#383 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am

Yeah but when I do it through the site it works, so whatever, I don't need to use Paypal

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#384 Post by soundchaser » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am

Has anyone canceled an order they placed with pH points before? I'm considering reordering March's titles now that they're deducting VAT, but I don't want to lose the points I used on that order.

EDIT: Indicator have told me the pH points wouldn't be credited back, for anyone in the same boat.

therewillbeblus

#385 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 pm

That's pretty lame, thanks for the head's up

Glowingwabbit

#386 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Have Indicator's big sales become predictable like the Criterion sales yet (in terms of the relative months they occur)? Last spring was the first time I partook in one and I noticed my order date was March 13rh so I'm wondering if.expecting a March/April sale is highly likely

KJones77

#387 Post by KJones77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:32 pm
Have Indicator's big sales become predictable like the Criterion sales yet (in terms of the relative months they occur)? Last spring was the first time I partook in one and I noticed my order date was March 13rh so I'm wondering if.expecting a March/April sale is highly likely
No. October 2017, November 2018, August 2019, March 2020, and October 2020 have been the sales. Oct/Nov seems consistent, rest has been more unpredictable.

There could be, but wouldn't expect anything.

therewillbeblus

#388 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:49 pm

I think the March one last year was in response to the pandemic, a smart move to try to make a buck before things closed down, and Criterion and other companies did something similar. I wish there was one soon though, I'm debating whether or not to place an order now or wait for the next one in the Fall and know I'm running the risk of those noir boxes selling out.

Glowingwabbit

#389 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:51 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:32 pm
No. October 2017, November 2018, August 2019, March 2020, and October 2020 have been the sales. Oct/Nov seems consistent, rest has been more unpredictable.

There could be, but wouldn't expect anything.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Glowingwabbit

#390 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:49 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:49 pm
I think the March one last year was in response to the pandemic, a smart move to try to make a buck before things closed down, and Criterion and other companies did something similar. I wish there was one soon though, I'm debating whether or not to place an order now or wait for the next one in the Fall and know I'm running the risk of those noir boxes selling out.
I'm planning to do a big order so a) want to make sure I have money aside for it and b) depending when it is will also impact which titles get included.

I would also love for it to happen soon because I actually managed to watch all my Indicator titles from my big Spring 2020 order so my rationale is of course to get more. I'm sure there will be a sale before the fall so I'd hold off for now.

Glowingwabbit

#391 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:18 am

Indicator tweeted flash sale next week.

https://twitter.com/indicatorseries/sta ... 64224?s=20

reaky

#392 Post by reaky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:20 am

Brace yourselves: Indicator have just tweeted their FLASH image, so it seems a sale is imminent.

willoneill

#393 Post by willoneill » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 am

reaky wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:20 am
Brace yourselves: Indicator have just tweeted their FLASH image, so it seems a sale is imminent.
The hammer is hovering over the piggy bank

therewillbeblus

#394 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:50 am

I hope they’re more generously inclusive of recent releases, my lengthy wishlist is all from within the last four months

dustybooks

#395 Post by dustybooks » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm

I haven't picked up either version of the Dietrich/von Sternberg set yet. Just double checking, is there absolutely any reason to get the Criterion version instead of the Indicator? The latter appears to be superior in every way from what I can tell.

The Pachyderminator

#396 Post by The Pachyderminator » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm
I haven't picked up either version of the Dietrich/von Sternberg set yet. Just double checking, is there absolutely any reason to get the Criterion version instead of the Indicator? The latter appears to be superior in every way from what I can tell.
Coincidentally, I was just considering this too. As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the Criterion set is the booklet. Indicator looks to have a much stronger set of extras, much better packaging/artwork, and if there's any advantage in digital encoding/compression it'll be on Indicator's side as well. It's also cheaper than the Criterion, given the current exchange rate.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#397 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:38 pm

The Criterion set does have some unique extras, probably the most valuable one being the lengthy TV interview with Dietrich

yoloswegmaster

#398 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:49 pm

I think that it's also important to note that Criterion themselves spent some time and money on the restoration for 5 of the titles (I think that Universal themselves did the restoration for Shanghai Express).

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#399 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:24 pm

I would get the Indicator. For one thing, it'll be cheaper if you get it through the sale, and extras wise it's not only superior to the Criterion, but at the least, the essays unique to Criterion are already on their website for free. I also find the physical design marvelous and far superior (although, I have both, lol).

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#400 Post by Timec » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:35 pm

It looks like the flash sale will start on Thursday, based on their most recent tweet.