88 Hussy

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

88 Hussy

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:59 am

HUSSY
(Matthew Chapman, 1980)
Release date: 23 September 2019
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Written and directed by Matthew Chapman (Strangers Kiss), and starring the great Helen Mirren (Age of Consent), Hussy is an offbeat blend of adult thriller and almost romantic comedy.

Set in the seedier side of London, the film focuses on a prostitute, played by Mirren, who begins an affair with a man, played by John Shea (Missing), harbouring a dark secret.

Part of producer Don Boyd’s efforts to reinvigorate British cinema in the late seventies and early eighties, with films such as The Great Rock ’n’ Roll Swindle and the cinema version of Scum, Hussy is an unsung and underseen gem deserving of a wider audience.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with writer-director Matthew Chapman (2019)
• Interview with actor John Shea (2019)
• Interview with actor Jenny Runacre (2019)
• Interview with produced Don Boyd (2019)
• Interview with Sam Peffer (2012): rare audio recording with the late artist and poster designer
• Original ‘U’ and ‘X’ theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Rebecca Nicole Williams, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD088
BBFC cert: 18
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697920017

M Sanderson

Re: 88 Hussy

#2 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:11 am

I really like Chapman. The Ledge, I found, was superb.

Hopefully Hussy might lead to more Champman, if not by Indicator then at least other companies.

Not much on the transfer, “HD Remaster”, yet this is one of the increasingly rare overlaps with TT, and they often go for the very nice transfers so I’m hopeful it’ll look excellent.

reaky

#3 Post by reaky » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:23 am

I haven’t seen this, but the keywords “Helen Mirren”, “seedy London” and “1980” mean my order has already been placed.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am

Full specs confirmed:

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:16 am

reaky

#6 Post by reaky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:34 am

This has a great sense of its milieu, with plenty of location shooting in and around 1980 London (when even Park Lane and New Bond St looked tatty). But after a promising opening that suggests a social-realist relationship drama, it bottles it and shoehorns in an unpersuasive cheapo crime strand that sidelines Mirren (the clear USP) for ages.

The frequent Greek-chorus musical numbers (heavy on the Patti Boulaye) suggest aspirations towards something like Cabaret. The male lead’s “tragic” revelation about his wife had me stifling giggles, and the final shot is lamentable.

I enjoyed it, but it had the bones (well, maybe the fins) of something much better.