190 Cisco Pike

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

190 Cisco Pike

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:19 am

(Bill L Norton, 1972)

Release date: 18 May 2020
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)
Pre-order here

Starring Kris Kristofferson (The Last Movie) in his first leading role, and boasting an impressive supporting cast – including Gene Hackman (The Conversation), Karen Black (Five Easy Pieces), Harry Dean Stanton (Christine) and Warhol superstar Viva (Necropolis) – Cisco Pike follows the fortunes of a musician who turns to drug dealing to make ends meet.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition presentation
• Audio commentary with writer-director Bill L Norton and film historian Elijah Drenner (2020)
Walking Contradictions – ‘Cisco Pike’: Then and Now (2020): documentary revisiting the film’s Los Angeles locations
Ode to Joy (2020): film programmer and writer Kier-La Janisse explores the life and career of actor Joy Bang
• Image gallery: publicity and promotional photography
• Original theatrical trailer
• TV spot
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Christina Newland, the original soundtrack EP liner notes, an archival interview with Kris Kristofferson, Stephen Farber’s 1972 article on Cisco Pike, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD190
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920550

The Elegant Dandy Fop

Re: 190 Cisco Pike

#2 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 pm

This movie is awesome. It seems to have a following among my friends who are casual cinema watchers as it’s a special and unique view of Los Angeles in the 70s. Part of that casual, loose style of drama that fits this casually with Dusty and Sweets McGee. Gene Hackman is also at his most manic here, acting as though he’s downed a whole bottle of Adderall. He’s drenched in sweat in second of the film.

whaleallright

#3 Post by whaleallright » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:34 am

yeah, it's almost like the role was going to go to Bruce Dern so Hackman did his best impression. also one of the great Harry Dean Stanton roles (much more prominent than his small billing would suggest).

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Full specs confirmed:

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:05 am

This was an interesting, if not exceptional, beat-the-clock thriller tuned down to the rhythm of a hangout road movie. I wasn't digging this at first, but by the time it entered its later acts the atmospheric dedication entranced me and I was able to get on the film's strange wavelength. Stanton really does get to shine here in a sensitive part that humanizes the tragic souls coexisting with the free love permeating the visible coating of the troubled era. Kristofferson is pretty excellent in a subdued manner, and his relationship with Black, as well as his general conflicted responses to his responsibilities and life's trials and tribulations, explores the disillusionment that comes from cultural laxity. The film does a good job at not glamorizing any side to it, but instead operates as a series of fleeting exchanges in a time when new ideologies were sprouting about trying to establish liberal permanence. In that way there is a welcome realism woven into the fabric of a genre film.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:07 am

It never really felt like a thriller to me, since the movie's plot (especially in its first 2 thirds) felt mostly like a way to allow Kristofferson's character to reflect on its situation and past choices through meeting various characters that allows him so. In the end, the whole background plot felt like a pure script device to me and, as you mention, allows indeed for Kristofferson to excel in this role.
I wasn't so fond of Stanton's character though, which felt (amongst other more "junkie" characters) to slow down the movie almost to a halt while it was going quite well until then. That's why I didn't like much the last third of the movie, which is a shame because everything else before was quite interesting overall.

therewillbeblus

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:48 am

Yeah I should clarify that by "beat-the-clock thriller tuned down to the rhythm of a hangout road movie" I meant that it in no way feels like a thriller, and only resembles it in structural 'plot.' It took me time to realize, or accept, that this was not the primary interest of anyone involved and so I was delayed in acclimating to its wavelength in overcoming the expected beats in favor of attention to character-in-milieu observations. I'm excited to revisit it knowing the intent, which will likely make me appreciate the first 2/3 more.

Re: Stanton's character - I think he was an important variable to block the momentum, because he embodies the devastating consequences of the era that, up until then, Kristofferson is briefly noticing and then moving forward in a way that doesn't allow him to completely attend to a contemplative state. It also felt significant that as they meet up, Kristofferson is essentially slowing down and becoming increasingly apathetic about his quest, giving up in a sense. Being exposed to his friend who he loves but who is a representation of tragic apathy, is a piercingly real experience for him, and ignites his decision to make choices at the end, even if he is still a far cry away from developing a strong sense of self.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 pm

TWBB I really enjoyed this one for the different moods it had. I didn't take it as a 'beat the clock' thriller though, but it feels like 'one last score' to me. Kristofferson seems to tell Black "I just need to do one more job then I'm really done for good" which of course never works out for the protagonist. But instead of staying in that particular lane, he is faced with the madness of the era, as you spell out. And that madness not only grips his friends, but the cop who has busted him as well.

A friend sent a note that he saw this as a double-feature with Two-Lane Blacktop as a double feature at the New Beverly and I think that comparison actually makes a lot of sense. A protagonist on some sort of undefinable journey with no real endpoint in mind, just the need to keep going. This doesn't reach the heights of that film, but I found a lot of similarity in the way Kristofferson is sort of on a journey to nowhere that he can't stop.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:16 pm

Drucker wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 pm
TWBB I really enjoyed this one for the different moods it had. I didn't take it as a 'beat the clock' thriller though, but it feels like 'one last score' to me.
Yeah I think it can be both, but he becomes increasingly desperate by the time limit which seems to be the primary variable. Either way it's not really important because- as you also point out- the mood fluctuates and ultimately slows down to meditate on existential goals (or lack thereof) as his apathy begins to contest with, and half-swallow, his motivation for self-preservation, all under the influence of the milieu. I find myself liking this more as I continue to reflect back on it.