218 Ishtar [release cancelled]

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

hearthesilence

Re: 218 Ishtar [release cancelled]

#126 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:38 am

Thanks James and Michael. That's very interesting to hear and it brings to mind the Batman supplements. I'm guessing WB was more loose in the mid-'00s? Those were highly entertaining in that they left me bewildered that a movie with an enormous budget could be made so haphazardly. I'm sure they left certain things out for good reason (Anton Furst's eventual suicide) but they seemed pretty blunt, particularly Tim Burton's commentary. I think right away he mentions how he's surprised that so many people like the first film because he found parts of it "boring."

EDIT: Actually typed "right off the bat" without realizing it was a pun until I already posted.

Quote Perf Unquote

#127 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:18 pm

So what I'm learning about show business is that even the hyenas in accounting and the empty suits at the top are as vain and insecure as the primadonna stars of the films? Pathetic.

therewillbeblus

#128 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:38 pm

Sounds more like different 'logical' calculations of where to set the bar for liability and self-preserving image purposes, rather than something emotionally-driven and open for nuance

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#129 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:45 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:38 pm
Sounds more like different 'logical' calculations of where to set the bar for liability and self-preserving image purposes, rather than something emotionally-driven and open for nuance
This is my take. I'm thinking of the way certain DVD extras go viral on like Twitter (the Lynch behind the scenes from Twin Peaks: The Return). If an extra were to feature, for example, someone making a snide comment about Warren Beatty or the film's reputation, and it were to go viral, and start making the rounds, I imagine the people involved in the production could become pretty miffed. I assume it's just not a risk worth taking.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#130 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Affleck's comments from the Armageddon commentary went viral a few years back (recorded in '99 or so) so that feels like it would be a legit concern nowadays.

hearthesilence

#131 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm

What was so bad about the comments? (I never heard the commentary FWIW)

beamish14

#132 Post by beamish14 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:38 am
Thanks James and Michael. That's very interesting to hear and it brings to mind the Batman supplements. I'm guessing WB was more loose in the mid-'00s? Those were highly entertaining in that they left me bewildered that a movie with an enormous budget could be made so haphazardly. I'm sure they left certain things out for good reason (Anton Furst's eventual suicide) but they seemed pretty blunt, particularly Tim Burton's commentary. I think right away he mentions how he's surprised that so many people like the first film because he found parts of it "boring."

EDIT: Actually typed "right off the bat" without realizing it was a pun until I already posted.

It’s interesting that you mention those, as Keaton said in an interview that WB never reached out to him regarding the creation of those extras, and he would have loved to discuss them.

What I remember about Burton’s commentary on the first is that he spends a significant amount of time praising the second unit director and pointing out their work, which is very unusual

beamish14

#133 Post by beamish14 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:12 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm

He points out the inherent flaws of the plot, like training oilmen to become astronauts, and not vice versa

cdnchris
Site Admin

#134 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:10 pm

hearthesilence wrote:What was so bad about the comments? (I never heard the commentary FWIW)
As beamish notes it's not too bad and is mostly him making fun of the film: pointing out ridiculousness of plot, the huge waste of money and resources to get shots that don't serve the plot, Bay telling him to "shut the fuck up" and more. Someone did an edit and it made the rounds on social media. I actually thought the comments from the NASA consultants on the other track were funnier (summed up as everything in this film is bullshit).

I still think the best track is the one for Spartacus, though I doubt Peter Ustinov talking smack about Charles Laughton and Laurence Olivier would have the same appeal.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#135 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:19 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:10 pm
hearthesilence wrote:What was so bad about the comments? (I never heard the commentary FWIW)
As beamish notes it's not too bad and is mostly him making fun of the film: pointing out ridiculousness of plot, the huge waste of money and resources to get shots that don't serve the plot, Bay telling him to "shut the fuck up" and more. Someone did an edit and it made the rounds on social media. I actually thought the comments from the NASA consultants on the other track were funnier (summed up as everything in this film is bullshit).

I still think the best track is the one for Spartacus, though I doubt Peter Ustinov talking smack about Charles Laughton and Lawrence Olivier would have the same appeal.
33k likes from a single post of it.

hearthesilence

#136 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:57 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:11 pm
What I remember about Burton’s commentary on the first is that he spends a significant amount of time praising the second unit director and pointing out their work, which is very unusual
Yeah I was surprised by that. IIRC Burton admits he's not an action director, saying it's not his interest much less one of his strengths, so he had absolutely no problem handing those over to someone else.

It's too bad they didn't get Keaton, I didn't realize they neglected to reach out to him. (They had no issues reaching out to Jack!) I think I posted this before, but it's kind of fun seeing him promoting the film back then on Letterman.

Quote Perf Unquote

#137 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:36 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:12 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm
He points out the inherent flaws of the plot, like training oilmen to become astronauts, and not vice versa
Well that's just good old fashioned snobbery, that hasn't been outlawed yet