201-205 The Fu Manchu Cycle

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

201-205 The Fu Manchu Cycle

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:07 am

THE FACE OF FU MANCHU (Don Sharp, 1965)
THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU (Don Sharp, 1966)
THE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU (Jeremy Summers, 1967)
THE BLOOD OF FU MANCHU (Jesús Franco, 1968)
THE CASTLE OF FU MANCHU (Jesús Franco, 1969)

Release date: 19 October 2020
Limited Blu-ray Edition (2 x UK & 3 x World Blu-ray premieres)

Pre-order here - direct orders from Powerhouse will also include an exclusive FU MANCHU FOR MAYOR poster.

In 1965, maverick British producer and writer Harry Alan Towers (The Bloody Judge) scored a hit with The Face of Fu Manchu, a thrilling revival of Sax Rohmer’s super-villain imperiously portrayed by Christopher Lee (The Terror of the Tongs). Over the next four years, Lee and Towers would collaborate with directors Don Sharp (Psychomania), Jeremy Summers and Jesús Franco (Venus in Furs) on four ever more delirious tales of attempted world domination (The Brides of Fu Manchu, The Vengeance of Fu Manchu, The Blood of Fu Manchu, The Castle of Fu Manchu), each pitting the criminal mastermind against his arch-nemesis Nayland Smith, as played variously by Nigel Green (Play Dirty), Douglas Wilmer (Sherlock Holmes) and Richard Greene (The Adventures of Robin Hood).

Now, all five classic Fu Manchu films are presented on Blu-ray for the first time, newly restored from original negatives and containing a wealth of new and archival extras, including critical appreciations, cast and crew interviews and audio commentaries. This stunning Limited Edition box set is strictly limited to 6,000 units, and is presented with an exclusive, fully illustrated 120-page book, featuring new writing by Tim Lucas.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:

THE FACE OF FU MANCHU

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with critics Kim Newman and Stephen Jones (2020)
• The BEHP Interview with Don Sharp – Part One (1993): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring Sharp in conversation with Teddy Darvas and Alan Lawson
• Super 8 version: cut-down home cinema presentation
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• More extras to be announced
• All extras subject to change

THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with film historians Jonathan Rigby and Kevin Lyons (2020)
• Kim Newman on Sax Rohmer and the Fu Manchu novels
• The BEHP Interview with Don Sharp – Part Two (1993): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring Sharp in conversation with Teddy Darvas and Alan Lawson
• The BEHP Interview with Ernest Steward (1990): archival audio recording of an interview with the respected cinematographer, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project

THE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU

• Original mono audio
• The BEHP Interview with Jeremy Summers (2001): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring Summers in conversation with Darrol Blake
• Archival interview with Harry Alan Towers
• New interview with first assistant director Anthony Waye (2020)
The Ghost of Monk’s Island (1966): Jeremy Summers directs this exciting mystery made for the Children’s Film Foundation

THE BLOOD OF FU MANCHU

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with critics David Flint and Adrian Smith (2020)
Visions of the Yellow Peril (2020): Christopher Frayling on ethnocentrism in the Fu Manchu cycle
• New interview with clapper loader Ray Andrew (2020)
• New interview with Stephen Thrower on Fu Manchu and Jesús Franco’s collaborations with Harry Alan Towers (2020)
The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu: The Fiery Hand (1923): a chilling episode of the original silent serial, starring Harry Agar Lyons as the evil mastermind
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

THE CASTLE OF FU MANCHU

• Original mono audio
• New interview with star Rosalba Neri (2020)
The Further Mysteries of Dr. Fu-Manchu: The Coughing Horror (1924): Fu Manchu torments Nayland Smith with a terrifying creature in this silent serial sequel
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with a new essay on the Fu Manchu cycle by Tim Lucas, a look at the career of producer/screenwriter Harry Alan Towers, an examination of the work of Fu Manchu creator Sax Rohmer, new writing on The Ghost of Monk’s Island and the Stoll Pictures’ Fu Manchu silent serials, archival newspaper articles on the films, extracts from the films’ pressbooks, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
Limited edition exclusive double-sided poster and five replica production stills
UK and World premieres on Blu-ray
Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units
#PHILTD201
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920666

Dr Amicus

Re: 201-205 The Fu Manchu Cycle

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 am

I've seem the Franco films years ago on VHS and can remember little about them, but I do remember that Pirie wrote very approvingly about the first film in A Heritage of Horror so this will be a must for me (and the extras look interesting as well).

These are also the basis (IIRC) for a Lee anecdote about being accosted by Chinese fans convinced that he is of Chinese descent - but I can't be sure if that's in his autobiography or the Many Faces of Christopher Lee interview.

EddieLarkin

#3 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:00 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:07 am
Limited Blu-ray Edition (2 x UK & 3 x World Blu-ray premieres)
I wonder if it's really necessary to make this distinction when the two films released by Blue Underground were dodgy SD upscales!

Very relieved to see Indicator didn't settle for using those masters.

Orlac

#4 Post by Orlac » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:53 am

Can't wait, very excited!

knives

#5 Post by knives » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 am
I've seem the Franco films years ago on VHS and can remember little about them, but I do remember that Pirie wrote very approvingly about the first film in A Heritage of Horror so this will be a must for me (and the extras look interesting as well).

These are also the basis (IIRC) for a Lee anecdote about being accosted by Chinese fans convinced that he is of Chinese descent - but I can't be sure if that's in his autobiography or the Many Faces of Christopher Lee interview.
It's from the documentary though the way he explains there is different. He was in production and on a boat going to the mainland and bumped into Run Run Shaw who didn't recognize him in the makeup and with sunglasses. Shaw was befuddled at the old fashioned moustache and so asked Lee his name. Lee was very appreciative of how vague the national origin was in the moment.

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:04 pm

As someone who really enjoyed The Terror of the Tongs, perhaps more than any other Hammer film across the first three sets, how do these films compare?

Orlac

#7 Post by Orlac » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 pm

First three are decent if a bit stodgy, latter two are waaaaayyyyyy worse!

Terror of the Tongs beats them all!

Glowingwabbit

#8 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:04 pm
As someone who really enjoyed The Terror of the Tongs, perhaps more than any other Hammer film across the first three sets, how do these films compare?
The opposite for me. That's probably the only film across the sets (although I haven't seen any from Vol 5 yet) that absolutely could not stand so I'm thinking I should stay clear of this set. I've always really loved the 1932 The Mask of Fu Manchu but more so for it's cinematography.

edit: I will say I am tempted to still get it for the special features which look a lot more interesting that the titles themselves.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Anyone who knowingly buys Jess Franco movies will be dealt with accordingly from the throne on Judgment Day

knives

#10 Post by knives » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:50 pm

What if they're packaged with Pere Portebella films?

Orlac

#11 Post by Orlac » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Heck, I like about 50 Jess Franco movies...it's just he made more than triple that as well!

I wonder what the UK status is for the Towers/Lee/Franco Count Dracula? Last time it was on home video in the UK was the 4 Front Video/Polygram VHS from the Republic back catalogue. This was also its status in the US, but then since then it got these odd releases from Dark Sky/Severin using hodgepodge materials - unlike the other Towers/Lee/Franco titles, which all came out on DVD from Blue Underground.

reaky

#12 Post by reaky » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Now JF has a foot in the Indicator door, perhaps his Drac will end up as an extra on the Badham 2-discer. Next thing you know, he’ll be a Master of Cinema and eventually admitted to the Criterion Collection.

reaky

#13 Post by reaky » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Perhaps there’ll be a lovingly curated De Sade set, collecting Peter Brook, Pasolini and Eugenie, the Story of Her Journey into Perversion.

kidc

#14 Post by kidc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:42 pm
Anyone who knowingly buys Jess Franco movies will be dealt with accordingly from the throne on Judgment Day
Me: "This film sounds interesting... oh, it's by Jesus Franco. I've hated everything I've seen so far, but he's really well-known, so surely every film he made can't be bad... Maybe this one will be different!"

Reader, it is never different.

In completely unrelated news, I've excitedly pre-ordered this box set.

knives

#15 Post by knives » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:25 pm

This makes me so glad that the only Franco films I've seen were directed by other people.

Orlac

#16 Post by Orlac » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:55 pm

I can definetly reccomend the following Francos, either as fun monster movie or weirdo-cult experience

AWFUL DR ORLOF
DIABOLICAL DR Z
SUCCUBUS
VENUS IN FURS
EUGEINE...THE STORY OF HER JOURNEY INTO PERVERSION
VAMPYROS LESBOS
SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY
EUGEINE DE SADE
VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD (non zombie version)

Once Lina Romay enters the picture (much as Helena Bonham Carter did for Tim Burton), it's not so easy! I do not subscribe to Tim Lucas' idea that you have to watch them all to appreciate Franco!

Adam X

#17 Post by Adam X » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:49 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:42 pm
You guys are off your game. It took 8 posts before the Franco-bashing started.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:11 am

In the event of my absence, I hereby give anyone on this forum the freedom to trash Franco and attribute it to me as a placeholder til I can drop the latest authentic zinger

CSM126

#19 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:58 am

Shoulda thrown in the MST3K episode on Castle (I kid, but it is terrible).

colinr0380

#20 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm

This is all of the Christopher Lee Fu Manchu cycle and I do agree on the general assessment of the first film being the best (its also the one that feels the most Bond-like with its exotic locations, widescreen photography and supervillain saved until the end. Spoiler: its Fu Manchu who did it), the next two are fine but diminishing returns and the two Franco films are not that good at all (and don't have the standard Franco fallback of explicit sex and violence to entice viewers out of their stupor).

Though this is actually an important turn in Franco's filmography as this began his somewhat better budgeted "Harry Alan Towers" period which produced the two Marquis de Sade adaptations Justine and Eugenie... The Story of Her Journey Into Perversion (also starring Lee), Venus In Furs, The Girl From Rio, 99 Women and the two other Christopher Lee starring Franco films The Bloody Judge and Count Dracula. Harry Alan Towers actually produced all five of the films in this set so he's the consistent figure here, and even did a Fu Manchu-alike film at the same time with The Million Eyes of Sumuru.

These are actually the solid middle of Fu Manchu films as the best film (Boris Karloff in The Mask of Fu Manchu) and the worst film (Peter Sellers playing multiple roles as usual in the comic parody The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu) fall outside this set's remit! And all of this 'torture and sex' stuff feels like the prototype for the structure that would underpin the more explicit Ilsa films in the 1970s.

I must admit that along with the general convenience of gathering all of these films together and the other extras, I think I am most excited about getting the chance to see those 1920s serials!

jlnight

#21 Post by jlnight » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:07 am

Talking Pictures TV have screened the first three films, I think, along with The Ghost of Monk's Island, although I get that confused with Danger on Dartmoor which was shown around the same time earlier this year. Ghost has the identical twins while Danger has Barry Foster out of Van Der Valk.

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:35 am

The last time I remember these being on the main UK television channels was in the mid-90s. The first three films were shown by Channel 4 in late 1996 during their brief season of Friday night horror triple bills (The Mask of Fu Manchu turned up earlier in 1996 during a Boris Karloff season), though that was the transition period of television where most films in 2.35:1 ratio got shown in a cut down compromise aspect ratio of 1.85:1. That only affected The Face of Fu Manchu though since Brides was 1.85:1 and Vengeance 1.66:1.

And the two Franco films Blood and Castle were last shown on ITV during the hot summer of 1997, maybe as a response to that earlier Channel 4 season, though with that being a channel with blocks of regional programming they might have only been shown in the North West region. It was still kind of amazing to see a Jess Franco film on one of the big channels, albeit at 1 a.m. in the morning! They remain the few Franco films to have been shown on the main UK television channels, with the only others being Female Vampire and The Awful Dr Orloff in Channel 4's Eurotika season in late 1999 (though Virgin Among The Living Dead turned up on the digital Horror channel a few years back).
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orlac

#23 Post by Orlac » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:50 am

I loved those late night Channel 4 triple bills! Don't recall seeing Fu Manchu, but I still have tapes of the vampire night - FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE and MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

kidc

#24 Post by kidc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:38 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Harry Alan Towers actually produced all five of the films in this set so he's the consistent figure here, and even did a Fu Manchu-alike film at the same time with The Million Eyes of Sumuru.
Sumuru was also another Sax Rohmer creation, created after the BBC wanted a radio serial similar to Fu Manchu but without Chinese stereotypes.

I think I am most excited about getting the chance to see those 1920s serials!
The BFI Player has them for free here. Not all episodes survive, some are incomplete, and bizarrely I think the BFI are missing one of the extant episodes, but they still have 14 or so to watch.

colinr0380

#25 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 am

That's great, thanks kidc!