220 Geronimo: An American Legend

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

220 Geronimo: An American Legend

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 am

GERONIMO: AN AMERICAN LEGEND
(Walter Hill, 1993)
Release date: 18 January 2021
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here.

Geronimo: An American Legend recounts the proud history of the famous Apache warrior who refused to accept the destruction of his people and, through his resistance and bravery, earned the respect of those he fought against.

Wes Studi (The Last of the Mohicans) gives a dignified central performance as the eponymous Native American hero and is ably supported by Gene Hackman (Cisco Pike), Jason Patric (The Lost Boys), Robert Duvall (Badge 373) and, in an early role, Matt Damon, who all play his adversaries in the US cavalry.

Unjustly neglected upon its original release, Geronimo benefits from John Milius and Larry Gross’s respectful, considered screenplay which is elevated by the epic sweep of Walter Hill’s direction. A visually stunning film that beautifully captures the vastness of the frontier landscape, Hill’s film is given extra poignancy by Ry Cooder’s moving score.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio tracks
• Audio commentary with western experts C Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke (2021)
• Interview with musician and composer Ry Cooder (2021)
‘Geronimo’ présenté par Bertrand Tavernier (2016): in-depth appreciation of the film by the legendary filmmaker
Geronimo’s Last Raid (1912): new restoration of the early silent western classic, presented with an optional new score
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Omar Ahmed, diary extracts from screenwriter Larry Gross, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD220
BBFC cert: 12
REGION B
EAN: 5060697921069

beamish14

Re: 220 Geronimo: An American Legend

#2 Post by beamish14 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 pm

I purchased Twilight Time's Blu during their final sale, but this is an easy double dip for me. Truly exceptional filmmaking, and probably Hill's (and Milius') finest
work. I saw a 70mm blowup print a few years back; it would be an amazing feat if Indicator could faithfully replicate that amazing 6-track stereo soundtrack. The theatre
rumbled with some of those shotgun blasts.

Finch

#3 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm

When I bought one of the last copies of Cutter's Way I thought about getting this one, too. Walter Hill is one of my favourite fimmakers, especially with Southern Comfort and The Long Riders. A Facebook fan quoted Hill as saying there was a longer cut but the studio made him trim 13 or so minutes. Since it is not listed in the extras, the footage presumably doesn't exist anymore, or is it prohibitively expensive to try locate it? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this film for the first time.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm

• Geronimo’s Last Raid (1912): new restoration of the early silent western classic, presented with an optional new score
Very intriquing supplemental material. So is this the second time Indicator has acquired silent-related extras?

And regarding Wes Studi, I am very much interested in seeing Powwow Highway (1989). Probably not possible for you to put out I reckon.

rapta

#5 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:15 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm
And regarding Wes Studi, I am very much interested in seeing Powwow Highway (1989). Probably not possible for you to put out I reckon.
Funny you mention that, as it featured Graham Greene, who also starred in a film I had been wondering if Indicator could get to at some point: Michael Apted's Thunderheart, with Sam Shepard, Val Kilmer, Fred Ward.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:27 pm

L.A. wrote:
• Geronimo’s Last Raid (1912): new restoration of the early silent western classic, presented with an optional new score
Very intriquing supplemental material. So is this the second time Indicator has acquired silent-related extras?
Third - The Fu Manchu Cycle has two mid-1920s serial episodes, and Buffalo Bill and the Indians has a load of films from 1895-1916 featuring the real Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley et al.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Final specs confirmed, including nearly two hours of previously unannounced material:

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:46 pm

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:10 pm