213 The Day of the Dolphin

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

213 The Day of the Dolphin

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 am

(Mike Nichols, 1973)
Release date: 19 July 2021
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here

The third and final collaboration between director Mike Nichols and screenwriter Buck Henry, following The Graduate and Catch-22, The Day of the Dolphin is a true one-off. A science-fiction thriller filmed in the Bahamas, and adapted from Robert Merle’s best-selling novel, the film concerns a scientist (George C Scott, Hardcore) who is teaching dolphins to speak but finds himself embroiled in a shadowy government plot to assassinate the US president.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• 4K restoration
• Original stereo audio
• Selected scenes commentary with academic and film historian Sheldon Hall (2021)
• New interview with actor Jon Korkes (2021)
• Archival interview with screenwriter Buck Henry (2003)
• Archival interview with actor Leslie Charleson (2003)
• Archival interview with actor Edward Herrmann (2003)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Larry Karaszewski trailer commentary (2016): short critical appreciation
• Radio spot
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, archival articles and interviews, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
• Extras subject to change

#PHILTD213
BBFC cert: PG
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920994

Randall Maysin

Re: 213 The Day of the Dolphin

#2 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Mike Nichols is so overrated (as a film director) I can't even f-ing believe it. There's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? to sort of justify his acclaim, but..The Graduate? Phbbbbbbbhbhbhbphtbt. Working Girl? Closer? PhHHhhhhhbttttttt. There's something sort of soullessly careerist and conformist about the story of his directing career that I find somewhat dislikable--after his fourth box office bomb in a row with The Fortune, which he ruined himself it sounds like, he went into a cocoon for 8 years, and emerged neatly shucked of most of the appealing and distinctive things about his filmmaking personality, nevermind the quality or lack thereof of those early films themselves. But that's just my two centimes.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Counterpoint: I like The Graduate.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 pm

I like a lot of Mike Nichols films, but not this one

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:I like a lot of Mike Nichols films, but not this one
I also like a lot of Nichols' films. Haven't seen this one yet because it always sounded, well, stupid.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:50 pm

My writeup from the 70s List
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm
the Day of the Dolphin (Mike Nichols 1973) No film could ever live up to the premise here-- "George C Scott trains dolphins to talk and inadvertently learns of a dolphin-aided plan to assassinate the president"-- but Nichols appears to have been so concerned with being taken seriously that the film is a cinematic no man's zone of dead weight, one scene of dramatically inert nothingness after another. I thought there were so many ways a film that sounds this crazy could come off, but "boring" wasn't one I considered (and that's a word I studiously try to avoid), especially with Buck Henry penning the script. What the heck happened here?

Ribs

#7 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm

I think this film is just plain terrific and can’t bear to hear criticism of it. It probably made a mistake in pitching itself solely as conspiracy thriller in its iconic poster but I find it really, properly affecting and think back on it often. Delighted to get this great looking release in addition to the previously pretty good Kino one from last year. This is one I’m way, way, way more positive then the zeitgeist on and it thrills me when something like this appears for something I think of as only a personal favorite.

The Narrator Returns

#8 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Sorry to be part of the zeitgeist on this one, but the best I can say for it (or for Nichols' other consensus low points, like Regarding Henry or What Planet Are You From) is that it's a very professionally polished turd, it looks great and has the lovely Georges Delerue score but is still a fundamental bad idea executed as dully respectable. And I'm not sure if this was intentional on Indicator's part, but it's very funny that they're releasing Nichols and May movies on the same day with such a vast quality difference in May's favor.

hearthesilence

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 pm
Sorry to be part of the zeitgeist on this one, but the best I can say for it (or for Nichols' other consensus low points, like Regarding Henry or What Planet Are You From) is that it's a very professionally polished turd, it looks great and has the lovely Georges Delerue score but is still a fundamental bad idea executed as dully respectable. And I'm not sure if this was intentional on Indicator's part, but it's very funny that they're releasing Nichols and May movies on the same day with such a vast quality difference in May's favor.
If this were a published review, I can see it tweaked for an advertisement: "...very professionally polished..." - TNR

knives

#10 Post by knives » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 pm

I’m standing with Chris where I’ve always been curious about the film although I doubt it will be good by usual measures. Still can’t be as bad as The Fortune which has to be a career lowlight.

Paul Moran

#11 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:48 am

The pre-order price (£15.99) is too high for me, but I'll be replacing my 16-year-old HVE DVD when/if the Indicator price drops a bit or it features in a sale.
I'm not a fan, but I have 12 Mike Nichols films in my collection, including the excellent (IMO) Carnal Knowledge and Wit.

Randall Maysin

#12 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 am

I think Mike Nichols is a good solid director, with at least a few fine and decent films under his belt although also quite a number of duds, but what I meant is that I can't tell you the number of times I've seen mainstream-y things on Facebook and elsewhere call him one of the greatest film directors of all time and include him right smack in the middle of a list or something that includes Kubrick (who I don't exactly love either but has more business being on such lists than Nichols), Kurosawa, i dunno....Hitchcock?, and lots and lots of other people who have (much) more business being on things like that. Maybe I should remember who more of those other people were, but... I mean, he's a good solid technician (and a great comedian with Elaine May, and a great actor), although I think the dud ratio in his filmography is high, but one of the greatest film directors of all time? There is a middle-brow self-importance and sanctity that clings to some of his later films, and his reputation in general (see especially the carefully and meaninglessly literary nothingness of Postcards from the Edge). I feel like its mostly that and the strength of how much people love The Graduate, which I don't get either. My opinion of that film is pretty much a bit less harsh version of John Simon's take. Somewhat pretentious and overdone direction (which I still kind of enjoy, and all of Nichols's early films have fabulous visuals), two or three scenes that have a subtly pleasing and poignant and yummy human flavour (especially Benjamin's bed scenes with Mrs. Robinson), and for the rest of the screenplay, i suppose it has a totally meaningless "big"-ness to a bit of it and those moments of sixties iconography, but basically its a pretty functional, indifferent, not funny, even somewhat flat experience for me. Benjamin's (and Elaine's) intelligence and idealism and sympathy? No, not really!
Last edited by Randall Maysin on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:48 am

Final specs:

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:53 am

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:20 pm

The real reason Ishtar was cancelled is because it was incompatible with the "replace one word in the movie title with 'Beaver'" format.

knives

#16 Post by knives » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Beavtar could have worked.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:30 pm

None of them work