248 A Time for Dying

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

248 A Time for Dying

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am

A TIME FOR DYING
(Budd Boetticher, 1969)
Release date: 21 March 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here.

The final western from one of the genre’s greatest directors, Budd Boetticher (Ride Lonesome), and the last screen appearance of war hero-turned-movie star Audie Murphy (To Hell and Back), A Time for Dying is an offbeat, elegiac look at the Old West, prefiguring Don Siegel’s classic western, and John Wayne’s final picture, The Shootist.

Richard Lapp stars as a young man with fine shooting skills who crosses paths with real-life figures, such as Jesse James (played by Murphy) and Judge Roy Bean (Victor Jory), only to discover the true violence of the West.

Beset by post-production and distribution problems, A Time for Dying is overdue the recognition it deserves. This world Blu-ray debut, featuring an all-new restoration and a host of insightful extras, will finally enable the film to find its rightful audience.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• New restoration from a 2K scan of the original negative by Powerhouse Films
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with western experts C Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke (2022)
• Appreciation by filmmaker and author Christopher Petit (2022)
Just Like Jesse James (2022): Kim Newman, author of Wild West Movies, discusses the many film portrayals of the famed outlaw
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Paul Duane, archival interviews with Budd Boetticher and Audie Murphy, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 2,000 copies for the UK (4,000 copies for the world)
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD248
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697921892

rapta

Re: 248 A Time for Dying

#2 Post by rapta » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:59 am

Great news, more Boetticher, and his last feature film! Glad to see this one show up, a nice surprise.

PS: a quick search tells me it was from Corinth Films, who Indicator presumably also got the already-teased Bartleby from. There's a trailer for this and the HD master looks strong!

Glowingwabbit

#3 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am

Amazing! Also Audie Murphy's final film I believe. Indicator's extras should really help with this one. It's an odd film and on the surface not like the early films of Boetticher. Rosenbaum has written some good stuff on it which helped me appreciate it more.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#4 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:49 am

Glad I wasn't curious enough to watch a hacked up pan and scan VHS-rip of this one when I went through Boetticher's filmography. Will be great to finally see this one. In HD, even!

hearthesilence

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Excellent, thrilled Indicator is doing this - I'm sure it'll be an outstanding release, just like the big box set (which may be my favorite Indicator box set so far).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Haven't seen this but a Letterboxd review addresses what the reviewer deems as a gratuitous on-screen actual animal death, so this may be heavily edited (not sure of the context for the shot)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#7 Post by soundchaser » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm
Haven't seen this but a Letterboxd review addresses what the reviewer deems as a gratuitous on-screen actual animal death, so this may be heavily edited (not sure of the context for the shot)
Indicator have addressed this on the Blu-Ray.com forum:
Our release will be uncut, as the BBFC was satisfied that while it was clearly a real snake, it was also a clean kill, which isn't proscribed by the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#8 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:09 pm

I love the Ranowns but the reviews on IMDB ("worst western ever", etc.) are making me shy away from a blind buy.

Glowingwabbit

#9 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:09 pm
I love the Ranowns but the reviews on IMDB ("worst western ever", etc.) are making me shy away from a blind buy.
I think it's on Prime or at least was at one point. You might have to pay a rental fee now. Not sure of the quality.

Most of the people saying "worst western ever" are probably seeing it without any context and aren't willing to look beyond it's obvious flaws (bad acting, lack of budget, storyline). It's obviously not as good as the Ranowns or anything like them (same goes for Audie Murphy's westerns). It's a very mean picture and nihilistic view of the West (perhaps even of the Western itself), and those flaws actually suit the film when looked at it in those terms (and the state both men were at in their lives when it was being made).

Edit: definitely the kind of film that will work better given the type of supplements Indicator usually delivers

M Sanderson

#10 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Love Boetticher and can’t wait for the pre-order. Intrigued by this film I’ve never even heard of. Sounds like a disturbing film of considerable intelligence in spite of serious budget limitations, going by the reviews I’ve read.

Is there any good critical writing on this one?

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 am

Bounced to highlight today's official announcement.

WmS

#12 Post by WmS » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:47 am

When I was filling in my viewing gaps in the Rosenbaum list, I bought Indicator's Ranown box thinking this movie was on it. I was blown away by Boetticher, and Indicator's wonderfully detailed extras. One of my favorite discoveries.

Expecting more of the same I watched this on Corinth's VOD (Vimeo's gone, Amazon's still up). It's terrible. Richard Lapp in unwatchable as the lead, all wide eyes and Adams' apple. Anne Randall's just as bad. The precise framing and camera moves of the Ranown films steps aside for weird zooms. Audie Murphy rides up on a horse for a minute. Some set pieces would fit in a 40s B-western, some feel taken from Peckinpah. I kept thinking Boetticher had aged out, but he wanted one last bewildered try at all the sex & violence kids these days got to enjoy. I wonder what he was thinking looking at the rushes.

I'm sure there are plenty of worse westerns, but I can't think of a worse western made by a director this good.

Indicator's extras are so good and Boetticher's so interesting I might some day pick this up just to learn about the film's production. But I can't imagine ever actually watching the movie again.

M Sanderson

#13 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:45 pm

Glad to hear of the restoration and very curious about this one.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:12 pm

Final specs:

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 pm

ChunkyLover

#16 Post by ChunkyLover » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:44 pm

That looks a bit like an old HD scan to my eyes. The grain looks a bit "electronic".

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#17 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:55 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:44 pm
That looks a bit like an old HD scan to my eyes. The grain looks a bit "electronic".
It does look very weird in motion.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#18 Post by cdnchris » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:50 pm

I'd have to assume it was restored open-matte and the widescreen version is a zoom-in on it, which could explain the artifacts, maybe. I've only sampled the open-matte version but what I sampled looked better compared to the widescreen version.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sit through it again, though, and probably go through it with the commentary. I get the defenses of it, and it's mean enough to be interesting, but the leads are so lacking in charisma it's a chore to get through, even at 72-minutes. Audie Murphy is the high-point and he's only in it a few minutes. I get the defenses, Petit's case for it in the included interview is well done, I understand it had NO budget, but it's not a good film.

therewillbeblus

#20 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:57 pm

This was an interesting failure, though the attributes of value come too late to save the film's underwhelming elements. For about two-thirds of the runtime, I could smell the undercurrent of nihilism, even going so far as to entertain a reading that the vacuous personalities of the leads and our fragmented investment in them reflexively served this ethos of the western as a space of devaluing humanity with mirages of promise in ideology. And yet... it was just boring- that is, until the last act kicked off with fire (literally so, involving the very clever use of a tree for combat purposes!) There are two creative setpieces that transform the film from mediocre to great with a ferocious swing of the pendulum; the first being the aforementioned shootout, and the latter a moonlit showdown that screams fear, powerlessness, and eviscerates the illusions of valor by emptying the conception of its merits in real time. This penultimate scene emulates Peckinpah, in both its gratuitous violence and slo-mo'd deaths, catapulting the sensation of permanent loss into a deliberate meditation on its tangible devastation. This latter scene in particular shook me harder than most westerns have, which may be a contextual result of its lame windup into a surprising pitch of savagery. Well, if it was a 'trick', it worked, and singlehandedly managed to influence me to pick this up to explore the supplementary materials and perhaps see the first two acts in a new light next time around.

MichaelB

#21 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:54 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#22 Post by Drucker » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:10 am

While I agree with most of the criticisms leveled here, I actually loved this film. It does a great job of upending Boetticher's own style from a decade earlier. Rather than a gunslinger that is able to find his way out of every scenario he finds himself in, we are given one that keeps getting caught with his pants down and can't seem to find his way out of conundrums he keeps getting himself into. Maybe when Robert Randolph's character is 25 years younger, this is how he is learning those hard lessons. But I found it rather charming to see a film from the dopey young gunslinger's perspective.

The film worked for me on another level as well. In addition to almost being the flip side of his own 50s westerns, we are given a seriously campy film here. That first shot of the snake just looks so different than the style of the 50s films, and in many ways the film is "what if we took the style of the westerns I made in the 50s, but made them a decade later?" Updated film stocks, completely different tone from the supporting cast, at times it almost felt like Boetticher was making one of his signature westerns but recruited all of the supporting cast from Easy Rider. Was it so bad it was actually good? To me it definitely felt that way. And I actually preferred it to many of the more renowned revisionist westerns of the late 60s and 70s.

It wasn’t perfect. I didn’t love the shootout sequence, and if it was trying to make a point about how anti-heroic those are in reality, then it works for me. Otherwise it was a bit sloppy. But the final shootout is beautifully done, nihilistic, and especially as
SpoilerShow
Billy starts justifying his actions and asking his companions to keep in front of him, I felt it was a really good and dark, ominous sign of things to come, socially in America.
I also disagree with the idea that it looked rough? Looked wonderful to me on my plasma, definitely some grainier sequences but I watched the widescreen version and thought it looked beautiful.