222 The Brute

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

222 The Brute

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 am

THE BRUTE
(Gerry O’Hara, 1977)
Release date: 17 January 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here.

In The Brute, Sarah Douglas (Superman II) gives a courageous performance as Diane, a glamorous fashion model trying to escape the brutal blows of her sadistic husband, fearsomely portrayed by Julian Glover (For Your Eyes Only). After a particularly savage attack, Diane leaves to stay with photographer friend Mark (Bruce Robinson, writer and director of Withnail & I) and his girlfriend Carrie (Suzanne Stone). Finding solidarity with other victims at a nearby women’s refuge, she aims to forge a new life alone, but her violent ex-partner is determined to track her down.

Written and directed by Gerry O’Hara (The Pleasure Girls, The Bitch), The Brute is an uncompromising exploitation film which dares to tackle the taboo subject of domestic violence. Unseen since the early days of VHS, The Brute now returns in a worldwide Blu-ray premiere.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Powerhouse Films
• Two presentations of the film: the explicit export cut; and the uncensored, pre-release UK version, The Brute Syndrome
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with actor Sarah Douglas and writer and critic Kim Newman (2022)
• New interview with director Gerry O’Hara (2022)
• UK prologue (1977): an 'expert' contextualises the film's themes
• The Sea Can Kill (1976): Royal Navy short, written and directed by Gerry O’Hara, about surviving a disaster at sea
• Erin Pizzey (1978): interview with the inspirational founder of the world's first refuge for women, production by the Central Office of Information
• Original theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson, a look at the public response to the film’s controversial screenings, an interview with fight arranger Roberta Gibbs, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 2,000 copies

Extras subject to change

#PHILTD222
BBFC cert: 18
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697921151

MichaelB

Re: 222 The Brute

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 pm

Full specs:

This will be released in North America as well, with their own separate print run of 2,000.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:29 am

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm

Aunt Peg

#5 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:37 am

I'd always assumed that The Brute was an exploitation film, had long wanted to see it but never had the opportunity.

What a surprise it turned out to be that despite its sometimes exploitation appearance that underneath it is in fact a searing social drama of domestic violence that is sadly as relevant today as it was in 1977. One of my best blind buys in sometime.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 am

Mondo Digital concurs:
Despite a few flashes of nudity (the amount of which varies depending on which version you watch), The Brute was never really sold on titillation value and remains a tough watch today with its hard-hitting look at an issue that is still very much an international crisis.
I'm also very pleased that he singles out:
a magnificent audio commentary [from Sarah Douglas] with Kim Newman; they have a wonderful rapport together going over the film including the friendships from it that continue today, her memories of The Brute, taking on her first major leading role (which requires her to be on screen for almost all of the running time), her own awareness about domestic abuse, and lots of great asides along the way.
...because it was obvious from the first few minutes of the raw recording that this was going to be an absolute model of what a commentary should be. Douglas and Newman have known each other for years, not least as occasional creative collaborators, and it really shows; this couldn't be further removed from the stereotypically awkward Q&A between people who've only just met.

Orlac

#7 Post by Orlac » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:46 am

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:38 am

I see that the disc features:
an exclusive new audio commentary recorded by critics Kim Newman and Sarah Douglas.
I wonder if "critic Sarah Douglas" is any relation to the film's star, who is coincidentally also named Sarah Douglas? In fact, I was under the impression that she was the star, but I'm not about to argue with a man who is famously always right about everything.

(Snark aside, it's a shame that he obviously didn't listen to the commentary, as it discusses quite a few issues that he raises, and from what I'll charitably call a slightly more informed perspective. And since he clearly didn't listen to it, and shows no sign that he watched the two accompanying shorts either, how much value should we place on his star rating for the extras?)

yoloswegmaster

#9 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:44 pm

Orlac wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:46 am
Dr Svet...- https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Brut ... 98/#Review
Opening statement from the good doctor:
A sane woman would not spend more than a few minutes next to a deranged 'brute' like Julian Glover's businessman, Teddy. I am sorry, but I don't think that there can be any exceptions that prove this statement incorrect.
This is frankly an appalling statement that spits in the face of any domestic abuse victims.

Orlac

#10 Post by Orlac » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:54 pm

The man's an idiot, and a lazy one to boot.

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:30 pm

It doesn't make Blu-Ray.com look good when they continue to give this guy a platform but more articulate and intelligent board members get banned and at times even without an explanation. They could give the Criterions to Jeffrey Kaufman to review and not be worse off.

Orlac

#12 Post by Orlac » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:40 pm

They banned me for 20 days cause I called him a lazy fruitcake.

Not bothered, but I still wonder why the excellent poster Aclea was banned.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:54 pm

After this review, Indicator should refuse to send Blu-ray.com copies of their releases unless Pro-B is not reviewing them. “[No] sane woman” is beyond even the usual nonsense of Pro-B. We know Indicator reads this forum, so I ask you, is this really something y’all want to turn a blind eye to for the sake of a review?

Orlac

#14 Post by Orlac » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:29 pm

It's very ugly, it must be said.

And all this has made want to buy the film!

Finch

#15 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:44 pm

I'd actually suggest that links to Atanasov's reviews shouldn't be allowed on this forum anymore. He never really knew what he was talking about when it came to the technical aspects. In hindsight, the Thieves Highway disaster of a review was a blessing because it finally made it possible for many people to see him for who he really was, and his carelessness pales besides his toxic views.

Matt

#16 Post by Matt » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:12 am

Links to and posts about his reviews could be quarantined in his dedicated thread.