224 The Blockhouse

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

224 The Blockhouse

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 am

THE BLOCKHOUSE
(Clive Rees, 1973)
Release date: 17 January 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here

Based upon harrowing real events which were turned into a 1955 novel by Jean-Paul Clébert, The Blockhouse starts explosively with an Allied air raid on a Nazi prison camp. Six escaped prisoners take shelter in an underground blockhouse, which is soon destroyed by heavy shelling. Trapped underground, with an almost endless supply of food, wine and candles, the men must endure confinement with no prospect of escape or rescue.

Featuring a stunning ensemble cast that includes Peter Sellers (Hoffman), Charles Aznavour (Shoot the Pianist), Peter Vaughan (Symptoms), Jeremy Kemp (The Strange Affair), Per Oscarsson (A Dandy in Aspic) and Leon Lissek (Marat/Sade), The Blockhouse was filmed on the Channel Islands in a dank and dark underground bunker, giving the film a suffocating sense of claustrophobia. This newly restored edition marks the film’s worldwide Blu-ray premiere.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Powerhouse Films
• Original mono audio
• New interview with star Leon Lissek (2022)
• New interview with Fred Rees and Gilda Rees, director Clive Rees’ son and widow (2022)
• New interview with production manager Matthew Raymond (2022)
• New interview with executive producer Kent Walwin (2022)
• New interview with electrician Peter Bloor (2022)
• The Channel Islands 1940–1945 (1945): short film produced by Britain’s Crown Film Unit which sees Channel Islanders re-enact incidents from the German occupation during World War II
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Kieran Foster, contemporary news reports on the event that inspired the film, archival interviews with star Peter Sellers and director Clive Rees, an overview of contemporary critical responses, new writing on The Channel Islands 1940–1945, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 2,000 copies

Extras subject to change

#PHILTD224
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697921182

Dr Amicus

Re: 224 The Blockhouse

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am

Even though this was shot locally, I've never got round to watching this, although my father-in-law has a copy of the old DVD (which I think is 4:3) and our local film society showed it some years back.

There was actually an article about this in our local newspaper the other day - part of a short run which covered locally shot feature films (including Walsh's Sea Devils and Truffaut's Adele H). With the added bonus of the short film (which I don't recall having seen before or know if it's available elsewhere) I can imagine this having a little sales spike from Guernsey residents.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am
With the added bonus of the short film (which I don't recall having seen before or know if it's available elsewhere) I can imagine this having a little sales spike from Guernsey residents.
The short film's rather good - it's basically about the history of the WWII German occupation and how the residents of Guernsey did their best to undermine it at every turn. I'm not sure how scrupulously accurate it is, but I don't imagine anyone from Guernsey would be the tiniest bit minded to complain about how they're portrayed.

And yes, sometimes you do see sales spikes indicating specifically local interest. I seem to recall the BFI's shipbuilding DVD compilation did noticeably well in Glasgow.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Charles Aznavour, Per Oscarsson… Very interesting cast.

L.A.

#5 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Remembered The Brave Don't Cry while reading the synopsis for The Blockhouse. Need to see that.

jlnight

#6 Post by jlnight » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Unless my info is wrong then The Channel Islands 1940-1945 has been on Talking Pictures. In fact it is on this Tuesday afternoon! They've also repeated the LWT series Enemy At The Door.

A Couple of Beauties (the extra on Girl Stroke Boy) has also been on Talking Pictures, possibly the last film of James Beck out of Dad's Army. The Sea Can Kill (the extra on The Brute) unfortunately hasn't turned up anywhere.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:55 pm

Full specs:

This will be getting released in North America as well, with their own separate print run of 2,000.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:13 am