C'mon C'mon (Mike Mills, 2021)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Mateusz

Re: C'mon C'mon (Mike Mills, 2020)

#26 Post by Mateusz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:22 am

Hi, does any of you have an insight when and how will this film premiere? I’m a huge Mike Mills fan, and can’t wait. It supposed to premiere in May 2020, then in November 2020, then on Sundance 2021, but still nothing. Any info would be appreciated

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#27 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Mateusz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:22 am
Hi, does any of you have an insight when and how will this film premiere?
An apparent crew member tweeted today that the film would have its world premiere at Telluride

therewillbeblus

#28 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Thank goodness, I've been waiting for any news on this one for a while and was getting nervous! Telluride is shaping up to be the real deal this year

DarkImbecile

#29 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm

I hope so... I'm in deep withdrawal after last year's cancellation. They've scheduled an extra day this year as well, so that in and of itself is exciting.

DarkImbecile

#30 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:55 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm
Mateusz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:22 am
Hi, does any of you have an insight when and how will this film premiere?
An apparent crew member tweeted today that the film would have its world premiere at Telluride
The tweet has since been deleted (presumably at the request of the festival organizers, who prefer that the program remain secret until the weekend of the festival)...

criterionsnob

Re: C'mon C'mon (Mike Mills, 2021)

#31 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 pm

C'mon C'mon added to NYFF lineup, with a synopsis, which I've spoiler tagged below.
SpoilerShow
C’mon C’mon
Mike Mills, 2021, USA, 108m
After gracing audiences with Beginners and 20th Century Women (NYFF54), writer-director Mike Mills returns with another warm, insightful, and gratifyingly askew portrait of American family life. A soulful Joaquin Phoenix plays Johnny, a kindhearted radio journalist deep into a project in which he interviews children across the U.S. about our world’s uncertain future. His sister, Viv (a marvelously intuitive Gaby Hoffmann), asks him to watch her 8-year-old son, Jesse (Woody Norman, in one of the most affecting breakout child performances in years), while she tends to the child’s father, who’s suffering from mental health issues. After agreeing, Johnny finds himself connecting with his nephew in ways he hadn’t expected, ultimately taking Jesse with him on a journey from Los Angeles to New York to New Orleans. Anchored by three remarkable actors, C’mon C’mon is a gentle yet impeccably crafted drama about coming to terms with personal trauma and historical legacies. An A24 release.

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:02 pm

C'mon c'mon, give Mills all the Oscars already

Persona

#33 Post by Persona » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 pm

It definitely sounds pretty Oscar-y.

therewillbeblus

#34 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:52 pm

I guess, in the same way Manchester By the Sea could be argued towards that appeal, but I fully expect this to be my favorite movie of the year- unless of course the Larrain or PTA succeeds it by a hair

The Narrator Returns

#35 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm

It's also listed as a New York premiere only, which suggests that it will indeed be playing at Telluride first.

The Narrator Returns

#36 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:32 pm

As for Mills' Oscar chances here, last time he and his movie really got screwed by A24 devoting all their awards resources to Moonlight instead (that may have made sense and paid off for them but personally made me very sad, so who can say if it really worked?). This year there's much less of an obvious juggernaut to feed all the resources into; Macbeth is the big one but that's being half-covered by Apple, The Humans is a maybe, After Yang and Souvenir II seem like critical darlings more than awards plays, and I remain extremely doubtful that Red Rocket will be Sean Baker's Oscar breakthrough if Florida Project couldn't manage that. So theoretically, it's possible Mills is the head of the pack this time and gets all the attention, but for now I'm just hoping it's as good as I think it will be, awards be damned.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#37 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Their contender is gonna be Macbeth for sure (why compete with yourself if Apple is really footing some of the cost, I wonder). Red Rocket certainly deserves such a rollout on its own merits, but given its content I wouldn't be surprised if it's not received kindly over here

The Narrator Returns

#38 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:31 am

Reviews out of Telluride are quite positive (including an A from The Playlist), and they've also revealed that Scoot McNairy is playing Phoenix's brother-in-law (and Gaby Hoffmann's husband) in it.

DarkImbecile

#39 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:35 pm

This was fantastic, just as richly observed and humane as 20th Century Women, and carrying over some of the aesthetic choices that work so well in that film while going in entirely different directions elsewhere, most obviously with its fantastic monochrome cinematography. Joaquin Phoenix is as great as one would hope in what is the funniest, warmest performance I’ve seen from him, Gaby Hoffman is exceptional in a challenging supporting role, and child actor Woody Norman somehow more than holds his own with substantial screen time opposite Phoenix. Mills builds upon the already great use of montage, voiceover, and music from his previous feature with truly remarkable sound design and the best black and white photographing of New York since… Manhattan?… to lock himself in as the best working director I’ve seen at highlighting everyday humanism while also examining meaningful truths about American society and culture. A must see.

Never Cursed

#40 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:14 am

Trailer, sans release date

Pavel

#41 Post by Pavel » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:23 am

On Twitter they said it's coming out in November

Never Cursed

#42 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Scoot McNairy is now listed as playing a supporting role in this (specifically as Woody Norman's character's father, the one who's having a mental episode)

yoloswegmaster

#43 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:40 pm

The theatrical release date has been set for November 19.