The Tragedy of Macbeth (Joel Coen, 2021)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
knives

Re: The Tragedy of Macbeth (Joel Coen, 2021)

#76 Post by knives » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:52 pm

I rather liked this overall, but will concede it has as a major failing that it is no better nor different than what you’d expect from this cast and crew. Washington makes for an interesting Macbeth more like an old man suffering from dementia than a true madman, but he’s no different than what you might be imagining right now. The film only fully flies with the weird sisters, the porter, and some of the fight scenes (I kind of would like to see a Coen action movie).

All that said I was incredibly impressed with the production design and cinematography. There’s not a film I saw from last year that comes even close to what is accomplished here and I sincerely hope they win.

brundlefly

#77 Post by brundlefly » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:04 am

It is an awfully pretty film, but should it be?

Enjoyed a lot of this, but never more than as an exercise. Found the sisters more playful than successful, but interesting. The minimalism can work wonders --Birnam Wood's a quick rush, the brute physicality of the Young Siward battle is exhilarating -- but is so often sterile that for maybe the first time the old "cold around the heart" Coens criticism reached mine. I like my 'Macbeth' muddy and heated and so for me the Polanski will always be a head on a pike above all others.

Was so overjoyed to see Stephen Root that the tick-tock thriller soundtrack never distracted me there; his porter's a pretty great physical performance, though, and I wonder: Might this work better as a silent film? Washington's performance never cohered, for me; never warmed to the rhythm of his reading. But those crisp, tangled gray beard bristles! The poetry of how harsh light and shadow works the bags under his eyes was often enough.

flexibleheart

#78 Post by flexibleheart » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 am

Agreed with most of the reactions here. Maybe it's just me, but the look of the film felt like highbrow Zack Snyder.

This was McDormand's dream role/project, so it's surprising how little she registered. I just don't think a Lady Macbeth sapped of her sexuality works. It's too intrinsic to the character.