The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Brianruns10

Re: The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)

#101 Post by Brianruns10 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah, that AS isn't right. By all indications this film was shot in Panavision system 65 which has a native AS of 2.20:1, cropped to 2.39 for 35mm reduction prints. And P.T. isn't cropping in camera to 1.85 (ala Tati's Playtime), because a shot of the 65mm neg cutting show a full aperture image. I think it was cropped or otherwise manipulated for the youtube release, erroneously.

Jeff

#102 Post by Jeff » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah, here is the piece of film shows that it is standard 5-perf 65mm, so definitely 2.20.

It's not uncommon to crop trailers to 1.78/1.85 for showing in front of 1.85 films, on television, internet etc.

hearthesilence

#103 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah, cropping trailers is fairly common. The last time I noticed this was Meek's Cutoff - it was shot in Academy ratio, but every screening of the trailer I've seen in the theaters was cropped to make it appear 1.85:1.

Roger Ryan

#104 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

All the same, that wide shot in the (military?) office is already pretty "wide"; how much more empty wall space or cabinets are we supposed to see at either side?

Love the trailer - I wish all trailers simply gave you a taste of one scene.

Cde.

#105 Post by Cde. » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Every shot in that teaser appears to have been composed for 1.85:1.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#106 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

A full breakdown of the footage shown at Cannes has been posted on Cigarettes and Red Vines. It's below, and not to heap too much hyperbole on this film without having seen it yet (but fuck, it's PTA's follow-up to There Will Be Blood, fer chrissakes), it sounds incredible, and sounds like Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams will definitely be in the Oscar conversation:
SpoilerShow
If you saw the trailer earlier today, you have some idea of what we saw, but it was a different assembly. While the soundtrack was the same at the beginning, with that unnerving Jonny Greenwood score and the interview between the Army official and Joaquin Phoenix, the images themselves were different. We saw Phoenix standing in a hallway, writing on a piece of paper affixed to a corkboard. As the interview reached its end, the camera pushed forward so we could read the very short and direct note: "Gone to China," and then his signature.

We saw the same footage of the fight on the beach, the footage of him drinking the alcohol that looks like it's coming from a torpedo, and then the close-up of him sitting across from the guy that's interviewing him. "What happened? Sir?"

"Let's just see if we can't help you remember what happened."

Then began new footage. Joaquin Phoenix running across a field, afraid. Him on a boat, walking along a deck at night. And then his first encounter with Philip Seymour Hoffman. He asks Hoffman, "What do you do?"

"I do many many things. I am a doctor, a writer, a nuclear physicist, a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man."

We see Hoffman onstage, addressing a group. "I'd like to talk to you today about cold feet and narrow minds. People who have cold feet cannot move forward. People who have narrow minds cannot move side to side. They both take courage. This is what I'd like to talk about."

Then Amy Adams is introduced, and she's got a crazy intensity, even in these short clips, that practically radiates off the screen. "This exercise will help you with your concentration. Look at my eyes. I want you to place something in the future for yourself that you would like to have. It's there, waiting for you."

Then it's back to Hoffman and Phoenix, sitting across from each other in some intense encounter, Hoffman challenging him. "Say your name."

Phoenix sounds hesitant in his response. "Freddie Crock."

"Say it again."

Louder this time. "Freddie Crock."

"Might as well say it one more time, just to make sure you know who you are."

"Freddie Crock."

We see a group of people shooting on the beach, Phoenix among them, and then we see Adams confronting Hoffman, almost in tears. "And this is where we are at," she says. "At the lowest level. To have to explain ourselves. For what? For what we do, we have to grovel. The only way to defend ourselves is to attack. If we don't do that, we will lose every battle we are engaged in. We will never dominate our environment the way we should unless we attack."

Now we appear to be jumping scene to scene, moment to moment. It's just impressions. Adams laughing, out of control. "It's a grim joke."

Hoffman groans. "I was thoughtless in my remarks."

As the scenes cut from one to the next, we keep returning to a haunting image of Phoenix, framed in a window, punching himself in the head. Fast.

Hoffman accuses him. "You linger in bus stations for pleasure." Another shot of Phoenix, punching faster now. Back to Hoffman. "Is your life a struggle?" Punching faster and faster. "Is your behavior erratic? Are you unpredictable?" Phoenix, sitting across from Hoffman, farts loudly and begins to laugh as Hoffman recoils. "What a horrible young man you are."

It seems like they're picking at him, breaking him down. "You're a dirty animal who eats its own feces when it's hungry."

We see them meeting, talking about Phoenix. Amy Adams in particular doesn't seem to trust him. "I wonder how he got here and what he's after. Is it really all so easy that he just came across us? He's dangerous and he will be our undoing if we continue to have him here."

Hoffman's not convinced, though. "If we are not helping him, then it is we who have failed him… is it not?"

Adams is the last one to speak as the title comes up. "The Master." Simple white letters on a black background. "Perhaps he's past help. Or insane." And the Greenwood score ends on a lone violin, mournful. It was a dizzying piece of footage, and much of it was just close-ups against stark black backgrounds, these great actors and their faces and nothing else. It certainly made me eager to see what PTA has been up to, and it also pretty much confirms any report that tied the film to the origins of Scientology. While they may not be doing a straight biopic of L. Ron Hubbard, if you're familiar with his life, it would be impossible not to see him and his wife and the early followers in what we saw tonight.

hearthesilence

#107 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 22, 2012 3:39 pm

SpoilerShow
SHOOTING on the beach.
A blogger at IndieWire claimed it look like he was masturbating. Idiot.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#108 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Roger Ryan

#109 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed May 23, 2012 8:33 am

I'm really hoping that the Weinsteins (or Anderson, for that matter) aren't going to re-cut the film based on the opinions of Cruise or Travolta.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#110 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:25 am

I trust Anderson to stick to his guns, and I trust that he has final cut (as well as final cut of the home video releases, for that matter) in his contracts from here on out. I think this (like hiring a few well known Scientologists to act in the film) is an effort to get the film out without incident.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#111 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Antoine Doinel

#112 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
SpoilerShow
SHOOTING on the beach.
Hi, I'm that idiot. The shooting scene is something different, the brief moment I'm talking about was later in the footage I saw. He was alone on the beach, not in a group, back to the camera, with his suit lowered and definitely working at doing something. Granted, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what he was doing.

And yes, how I phrased it in the piece I wrote made it seem like it was directly after Amy Adams line, but it's much later.

Tom Hagen

#113 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:13 am

Teaser trailer #2. Now with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams.

Jeff

#114 Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 am

Continues to look fantastic. There's a palpable air of menace in both trailers, and I think part of it is due to that incessant, insinuating Jonny Greenwood piece. Early on, the Joaquin Phoenix role had been pegged as supporting. It's starting to look like the lead to me, and apparently he gets top billing.

hearthesilence

#115 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:
SpoilerShow
SHOOTING on the beach.
Hi, I'm that idiot. The shooting scene is something different, the brief moment I'm talking about was later in the footage I saw. He was alone on the beach, not in a group, back to the camera, with his suit lowered and definitely working at doing something. Granted, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what he was doing.

And yes, how I phrased it in the piece I wrote made it seem like it was directly after Amy Adams line, but it's much later.
My apologies, and thanks for the clarification.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#116 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Not as effective as the first trailer, but glad to see Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Adams does indeed look like a woman possessed. I realize that this is about as repetitive as it gets, but I can't wait for this fucking movie

Matt

#117 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 pm

That first shot of Hoffman looks like it came straight out of a Kubrick film, specifically the way Patrick Magee is lit and shot in A Clockwork Orange.

Jeff

#118 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#119 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 am

So basically, There Will Be Man Parts.

Grand Wazoo

#120 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 pm

EDIT:
Damn, looks like the image link died after I posted it.
Last edited by Grand Wazoo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#121 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Hm?

SpiderBaby

#122 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm

He probably wanted to post this teaser poster:
Last edited by SpiderBaby on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#123 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Whoa! Stunning.

Niale

#124 Post by Niale » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

For those of you who have not read the script, and dont get the poster (although the first trailer kind of makes it obvious
SpoilerShow
The main character is a BIT of an alcoholic
Groundbreaking info I know

flyonthewall2983

#125 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:21 am

Full trailer coming tonight, according to @cigsandredvines.