Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012)

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 am

Brianruns10 wrote:Actually I think Slant lays out a pretty cogent critique of the film. I think their writing on cinema is some of the best around. They have the toughest, most discerning standards, and they're some of the few critics around willing to call out faux-indie, Oscar baiting pabulum for what it is.
It varies for me depending on who's reviewing what. Some reviews seem to be screaming out for attention and veer into Armond territory, quite frankly.

Grand Illusion

#27 Post by Grand Illusion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 am

I think the Slant review was fair. They essentially described the film I saw, except I was able to overlook the contrivances while watching the film in order to actually enjoy its charms and pleasures.

The mental illness-as-quirk did bother me a bit going into the film, but it clearly agitated Marsh, and the film got panned extra because of that. I don't feel the article misconstrued what Silver Linings Playbook is or what it's about. The most egregious hyperbole was calling Chris Tucker a token black guy, which I agree that he was not.

Jeff

#28 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey Philly...Can anyone clarify for me what "crabby snacks" and "homemades" are? I assume this is some sort of local cuisine. Google is unhelpful. I'm guessing the crabby snacks are the crab-mayo-cheese-broiled-on-toast deals. "Homemades" sounds like it refers to some sort of dessert item. No, I do not know why I feel the need to know this.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 am

It's pretty common for food (particularly fries) to be sprinkled with Old Bay around here (Crab Fries with white cheddar are a reason for 45 minute lines at Phillies games). Though to be honest, I've never heard either phrase in my life

Matt

#30 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

Here's your source for "crabby snacks." I'm a librarian, thank you.

Could "homemades" possibly refer to baked goods from Homemade Goodies? Or it could just be made-up slang, my favorite kind to enjoy when I'm swinging on the flippity flop, rocking my wack slacks.

Jeff

#31 Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks, Matt. I was just about to cry out, "Is there a librarian in the house?"

Jacki Weaver's character says "I'm making crabby snacks and homemades," so I knew they couldn't be a purchased item. Looks like you've nailed the crabby snacks. After a little further digging, I think I've discovered the "homemades." Turns out they're homemade egg noodles. Here's a recipe for them, and references to the nomenclature in Italian American families and particularly in South Philly.

I think we'll all rest a little easier tonight with these mysteries solved.

wigwam

#32 Post by wigwam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

The whole movie is incredible but Jennifer Lawrence especially so and scene after scene is so limber and deft. David O Russell has toned down his derivativeness of his last few movies and this echoes back to his first couple movies' concerns of generational alienation and childhood environments and longing for second chances. My wife and I had such a great feeling leaving theater and both wanted to go back in and see it again right then.

Professor Wagstaff

#33 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 am

For those who have seen it, what was the vibe of your theatre audience like? My crowd tonight was distractingly unresponsive (few laughs, no applause) to anything happening on the screen, a sharp contrast from my own whirlwind excitement for the picture. Normally I wouldn't care to feel like the lone supporter in a crowd, but this seems like such a crowd-pleaser that I was left baffled.

Russell has a gift for capturing the rhythms and language of high-stress, close-knit families that plays authentic in his works and really builds this film into something more than the average screwball comedy.

vsski

#34 Post by vsski » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 am

Just walked out of the theater and feel like I got run over by a freight train called Jennifer Lawrence. She dominated every scene she was in and was indeed a force of nature as one of you called it. Good thing my girlfriend is out of town I think I'm still drooling :wink: . But seriously, it was my favorite female acting performance of the year so far (still need to see Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty, but doubt that anyone else will come close from what I know).

I went in with no real expectations and as usual hadn't read much about the film beforehand - I never do with movies that interest me -, and while I feel manipulated at every corner, I went with it and have to admit it was a really enjoyable ride. I didn't much care for some of Russell's previous outings and this one could have gone terribly wrong, but the on-screen chemistry of the actors (by far the best I have seen Bradley Cooper and I'm not a fan), the great dialogue and the well paced cut made me forgot a lot of the contrivances.

People at my show really seemed to enjoy the movie and there was a lot of laughter, although no applause at the end.

This is one movie I may actually want to see again soon and that is not something that has happened to me with a Hollywood movie in a long time.

randystaat

#35 Post by randystaat » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I really enjoyed seeing this even after reading the hype in this thread and a couple other message boards. Sometimes it ruins a movie for me, or I'll end up expecting something more than what I saw but with this it was just right. Great characters and performances, and I really enjoyed seeing DeNiro in a good role. Maybe not one of the best movies this year, but definitely one of the best romantic comedies/dramas I've seen in a while.

Black Hat

#36 Post by Black Hat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:15 am

Went into this one with no explanations and found myself pleasantly surprised. Certainly not reinventing the wheel here but, there were some interesting threads regarding the Cooper/Lawrence relationship and the place of emotional instability the two were coming from that I wish was explored more. Ultimately, Hollywood gonna Hollywood but, this is a movie you can go with your significant other to make her happy and not want hang yourself or irritate her with a rant afterwards. And Jennifer Lawrence, was unfamiliar with her before the film but, goodness gracious, that was one of the hottest, sexiest, without really going for that, performances I have ever seen. I'll certainly be stopping the channel surfing whenever this film's on one of the movie channels. Man, is she sexy.

Pcookie

#37 Post by Pcookie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 am

Regarding the "crabby snacks and homemades", I am not a librarian, just a reader, but after watching this movie yesterday, I came home and downloaded the book. In the book they refer to crabby snacks and homemade pizza that Pat's mom served on game day, so it would seem that "homemades" could just be family colloquialism for her homemade specialty, three-meat pizza with hamburger, sausage, and chicken. Btw, I am loving the book.

HistoryProf

#38 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 am

I hadn't read much of anything about this, other than noticing the extremely high rating on RT and hearing from friends that they enjoyed it a lot. It was the wife's birthday so we chose this to see tonight and I was more than pleasantly surprised...I was absolutely gobsmacked by how assured, forceful, tender, vulnerable, and just damned good Jennifer Lawrence is in this. Cooper is fine, he doesn't do much for me in general but has a nice cadence here that works well...but Lawrence is incredible. as for the mental health aspects, both of us loved the reality of it all. This blurb on RT summed it up nicely for both of us:
Silver Linings Playbook tells us that happily-ever-after may depend on finding people who coexist with our lunacy, not ones who can lead us out of it.
Much how Spielberg exercised admirable restraint throughout Lincoln, Russel does the same here, foregoing any grand explosions at the end, letting us simply observe Cooper's quiet conversation with his wife, refuses to let them "hit the big move" on the dance floor, and otherwise stays sure footed while never wavering into the cliche mines that were practically screaming to be stepped on. I loved it, and even more, I loved Lawrence in a way I never expected (and I had Winter's Bone high in my top ten 2 years ago).

sullivad

#39 Post by sullivad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, I believe Crabby Snacks are the crab/cheese/mayo mixture on English Muffins. In the movie, Pat's mom shows Danny how to roll up some sort of meat dipped in bread crumbs - are those Homemades?

Jeff

#40 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 pm

sullivad wrote:Yes, I believe Crabby Snacks are the crab/cheese/mayo mixture on English Muffins. In the movie, Pat's mom shows Danny how to roll up some sort of meat dipped in bread crumbs - are those Homemades?
That's braciole. I'm convinced "homemades" refers to a homemade pasta, the simple egg noodle type you get from rolling dough and cutting it into strips. See this recipe ["I used to think that making home made pasta ("homemades" if you were raised in South Philly)..."].

Russell seems unsure of the term himself. He says that it's "when you spend the whole day making the parmesan or other cheeses," but almost no one makes parmesan at home, and you sure don't do it in a day. In a different interview, he says:
It's a word I heard a neighbor say, so I asked what it was. They said, “Homemades! It's when you do the intensive labor for a day to make the braciole, the lasagna, and parmesan and stuff. You make a bunch of it and everybody's like, Great there's homemades at the Cappaleti’s!”
I'm sure that's what Russell intended it to mean in the movie, but if he overheard Mrs. Cappaleti talking about making homemades in Philly, she was probably referring to some pasta for her braciole.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#41 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm so depressed that I grew up in Ridley Park, where the fucking movie was filmed, and can shed no light on this

Brood_Star

#42 Post by Brood_Star » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 am

Brianruns10 wrote:Actually I think Slant lays out a pretty cogent critique of the film. I think their writing on cinema is some of the best around. They have the toughest, most discerning standards, and they're some of the few critics around willing to call out faux-indie, Oscar baiting pabulum for what it is.
This was the least offensive Oscar baiting film out of the ones this season I'd say (Les Mis, Argo, hell even Moonrise Kingdom). I didn't find anything convoluted about it, nor get the sense that it was trying to achieve something it wasn't unlike the others listed

willoneill

#43 Post by willoneill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 am

Moonrise Kingdom is Oscar-bait? How do you figure that one?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#44 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 am

Wes Anderson would make a terrible fisherman.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#45 Post by Drucker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I watched this movie this afternoon and I was truly blown away by it. I had read that it was good and the finacee wanted to see a movie, so I suggested this.

Right from the get to, the movie was smart and funny, that much was clear. But throughout it kept the pace, stayed true to the characters, and never seemed lazy. De Niro was great, Lawrence was great, and yes, I too didn't think I cared for Bradley Cooper, but he's totally won me over now.

I honestly teared up at one point when
SpoilerShow
De Niro gives the final speech to Cooper about not fucking up, and then they hug. I must be a sucker for this kind of shit because it's the only thing that can get me to cry, but it did. Father/son relationships are so hard, and I saw so much of my own in this movie, about repeating your parents mistakes, bad habits, etc. that it must've just struck a nerve.
As I thought about the movie after leaving the theater, one thing didn't sit right with me:
SpoilerShow
The conversation that is had between Lawrence, De Niro, and the mother, while Cooper is on the front porch. Lawrence at one point seems to make the insinuation that she hadn't accidentally bumped into Cooper while running earlier in the movie. In fact, the mother had called to give her a heads up! I was very happy with those scenes left to the audience. Lawrence is a bit of an odd-ball. Considering how much information kept moving within the different social circles all throughout the movie, and the fact that people in her family had a tendency to keep an eye on who was showing up at the door, it made sense to me that she was waiting for him a few times and just ambushed him. But Lawrence's comment seems to rule out that explanation, making it much more pre-meditated.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm

If a film's going to masquerade as "indie" while strictly adhering to the classical Hollywood formula of romantic comedies, the end results probably can't look much better than this charming film of somewhat execrable characters gradually melding their tempers into a more cohesive sense of family. Russell's chaotic tendencies as a director are finally put to good use, and for all the focus in this thread and elsewhere on the dance stuff, I thought Lawrence's best moment was the bravura sequence where she proves herself to De Niro with the escalating bets, a sequence which expertly juggles many characters and reactions and left me with a goofy smile that I kept for the remainder of the running time.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: American Hustle (David O. Russell, 2013)

#47 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

criterion10 wrote:I can't say that O'Russell is one hell of a writer though. Flirting with Disaster I found to be cringe-worthy in some parts, and while some of the dialog in Silver Linings is decent (at best), the narrative arc is predictable and cliched. Considering he wrote the script, I think a large part of that blame falls on him. I honestly don't understand how that film managed to win critics and audiences over last year. I didn't hate it by any means, but it's absolutely disposable.
You are seriously complaining that the "narrative arc" for a romantic comedy was predictable? A film like Silver Linings Playbook isn't about upending convention, its pleasures are found in how it works through familiar paces in fresh and novel ways. If you think it didn't offer enough novelty or put a nice-enough bow on things, fair enough, but you can't decry a film like this for following a template without throwing away in the process some of the very best films ever made

criterion10

#48 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:You are seriously complaining that the "narrative arc" for a romantic comedy was predictable? A film like Silver Linings Playbook isn't about upending convention, its pleasures are found in how it works through familiar paces in fresh and novel ways. If you think it didn't offer enough novelty or put a nice-enough bow on things, fair enough, but you can't decry a film like this for following a template without throwing away in the process some of the very best films ever made
Just because Silver Linings is a romantic comedy doesn't give it an excuse for being predictable and unoriginal. Annie Hall is a romantic comedy, and it's quite original in many ways. What do you feel are some of the best films ever made that also follow this template?

Silver Linings literally hits all of the plot points and markers that define standard narrative structure. The characters and performances are interesting, and so it's such a shame to see that O'Russell allowed the film to play out in a rather conventional manner.

I think that part of the reason my opinion of the film isn't so high is due to all of the praise the film received. If critics and audiences saw it for what it was, a formulaic romantic comedy, and liked it for that, I wouldn't be complaining. Like I said, it's not a bad film, just nothing special. A suitable one-time watch. The problem is when a film like that is referred to as one of the best of the year and receives more awards nominations than it deserves.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:34 pm

criterion10 wrote:Just because Silver Linings is a romantic comedy doesn't give it an excuse for being predictable and unoriginal. Annie Hall is a romantic comedy, and it's quite original in many ways. What do you feel are some of the best films ever made that also follow this template?
Oh, just the hundreds of fabulous romantic comedies made under the studio system for starters. Annie Hall is an atypical romantic comedy in many regards and that it was your first go-to suggests to me an unfamiliarity with the form outside of some preconceived notions. If I am misconstruing your exposure to the genre, please correct me with some specific examples

You keep saying the film is "predictable and unoriginal," but mantras don't constitute a defense. How many romantic comedies have a willingness to paint their paired couple in such an unflattering light? How many embrace the complicated sexual history of Jennifer Lawrence's character or the violent unsteadiness of Bradley Cooper's day-to-day mental health? These are fucked up people, and not always in a cute "Oh they're a little off" way, but in an unstable, teetering on the brink of unsympathetic portrayal. And that the two leads sell these characters and the film has their back, that's where the pleasure comes, for me at least. Find me one review from a reputable source that states this film's worth is found in its originality separate from its form. Critics don't need to defend the romantic comedy structure because the film does that already by existing. They've also seen a fair amount of movies from across genres, including romantic comedies-- certainly enough to recognize a good example of one when they see it

criterion10

#50 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh, just the hundreds of fabulous romantic comedies made under the studio system for starters. Annie Hall is an atypical romantic comedy in many regards and that it was your first go-to suggests to me an unfamiliarity with the form outside of some preconceived notions. If I am misconstruing your exposure to the genre, please correct me with some specific examples
I'll say this, Harold and Maude and Punch-Drunk Love are two romantic comedies that come to mind that I both like and certainly wouldn't say are typical. That being said, I also do like films like It Happened One Night, When Harry Met Sally, and Moonstruck that do have a more familiar narrative. There are certainly other romantic comedies that I have seen and like, though they aren't springing to mind like those films did. If you'd like to test my familiarity with the genre, or to compare my tastes with yours, please through some titles out there (and I don't mean that sarcastically).
domino harvey wrote:You keep saying the film is "predictable and unoriginal," but mantras don't constitute a defense. How many romantic comedies have a willingness to paint their paired couple in such an unflattering light? How many embrace the complicated sexual history of Jennifer Lawrence's character or the violent unsteadiness of Bradley Cooper's day-to-day mental health? These are fucked up people, and not always in a cute "Oh they're a little off" way, but in an unstable, teetering on the brink of unsympathetic portrayal. And that the two leads sell these characters and the film has their back, that's where the pleasure comes, for me at least.
I agree that mantras don't constitute a defense, so I will try to explain myself better. I apologize in advance if I go off on a tangent...

What I said earlier and will repeat again is that in Silver Linings Playbook, "the characters and performances are interesting". Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro, and the other performers are what make that film worth watching. I agree with everything you said about the way that the film portrays these characters. They are "fucked up people" with complicated pasts, and the film isn't afraid to explore this. This is one aspect of the film that I did appreciate.

The problem is half way into the film, when the development of the dance number that Cooper performs with Lawrence begins to go into effect. Now, the standard narrative beats begin:
SpoilerShow
- The truth coming out to Cooper that Lawrence never gave his ex-wife the letter he wrote her
- Cooper going to the football game and leaving Lawrence to herself, despite promising her that he would practice their dance routine together.
- Cooper and friends getting arrested, screwing up the outcome of the game (as DeNiro believes), and Lawrence eventually making the new agreement that could allow DeNiro to win his money back
- Lawrence discovering that Cooper's ex-wife is in the audience, and eventually getting angry upon thinking that Cooper is going to leave her for his ex-wife
- Lawrence and Cooper just managing to score a 5 in the dance routine
And so on... I mean, these are the standard narrative beats that one would find in a "Save the Cat!" type of screenwriting book.
domino harvey wrote:Find me one review from a reputable source that states this film's worth is found in its originality separate from its form. Critics don't need to defend the romantic comedy structure because the film does that already by existing. They've also seen a fair amount of movies from across genres, including romantic comedies-- certainly enough to recognize a good example of one when they see it
I don't have a problem if everything ends up "happily ever after", as for the most part, yes, that is the essence of a romantic comedy. But, a film has to at least be relatively unique on the way there. It's been a while since I've seen some of the earlier films that I mentioned above, but I certainly don't remember films like Moonstruck, When Harry Met Sally, or It Happened One Night following those standard, cliched plot points that occur in Silver Linings Playbook.

It's clear that we disagree on SLP, though at the same time, it's not like my opinion is completely out of left field. There are many others out there that felt similarly to me on this film.