The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
warren oates

Re: The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola, 2013)

#76 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 pm

swo17 wrote:
warren oates wrote:Knives mentions Zodiac, a great film by a great director, but also one with an inherently more compelling true story. A far lesser director than Fincher could still have made a pretty good picture out of it, if nowhere near the masterpiece we've got.
False.
Never should have added that qualifier "far." ](*,)

knives

#77 Post by knives » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

swo17 wrote:
warren oates wrote:Knives mentions Zodiac, a great film by a great director, but also one with an inherently more compelling true story. A far lesser director than Fincher could still have made a pretty good picture out of it, if nowhere near the masterpiece we've got.
False.
Or worse yet.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#78 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

I can't decide if this thread makes me want to go watch Bling Ring so I can follow the discussion, or avoid it at all costs so that I'll never be tempted to....

HerrSchreck

#79 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:26 pm

knives wrote:Plan 9 is exactly what it wants to be. Is it wrong to criticise it? Don't you see the flaws in your argument?
Hey now... HEY now!?!?! And what, exactly, is wrong with Plan Nine?

Warren, I think Plan Nine came out precisely as Ed Wood meant it to be. The issue here is that we don't see things quite the way he saw things.

Or rather, the way he regarded the end product of this specific work was entirely different versus the way many others do and did. He had a special blind spot for rush job areas and dialog and mise en scene that "should" (not) have been reshot... nontheless he saw the end result precisely the way he saw them in his head when planning the scene-- he had nothing to separate out Idea from Execution, is my guess.

He once said, "'Glen or Glenda?'.. yeah, that's me, that's my story-- but Plan Nine, that's my baby-- that's my pride and joy!" He truly loved the end result of Plan Nine.

Thus he saw UNIVERSAL HORROR MOVIE when we are rolling around the floor pissing our dry goods. And thank god for it. This movie--and director-- is more immortal and beloved by its supporters than a huge number of the films discussed here. People who like Ratcatcher may like Ratcatcher, but people who love Plan Nine will don body armor and ammo belts and go to war for Plan Nine!

knives

#80 Post by knives » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I should note I really love Plan 9 and even have used it in arguments against The Day the Earth Stood Still. I wouldn't want a frame changed. But, yeah, you got where I was going with that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:08 pm

warren oates wrote:Sausage is right if he's talking about the exchange with matrix, not so much if he's describing the bulk of the back and forth before which was more like:

A. This fact-based docudrama came out as intended.
B. Could have been much, much better, like a metaphor for the decay of our culture and a probing examination of the psyches of our youth.
A. Yeah, but then it would be a totally different film, no longer a docudrama.
B. Could have been much, much better.
A. Without turning into something else?
B. Yeah.
A. How?
B. Could have been much, much better.
Your argument is really devolving into falling victim to the Intentional Fallacy? I'm not sure why you are so committed lately to this aggressive posting style of browbeating those who have a differing opinion than you, but I guarantee you it'll only be a matter of time before everyone just tunes you out. I'll start!

The Narrator Returns

#82 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I think we can all agree that this opinion-based thread turned out exactly as it intended to, and thus it is immune to all criticism.

Lemmy Caution

#83 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I think we can all agree that this opinion-based thread turned out exactly as it intended to, and thus it is immune to all criticism.
But why did we start the thread in the first place?!?

therewillbeblus

#84 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:23 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:27 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:13 pm
dustybooks wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:14 pm
I agree that it is a fundamentally humanist film, and it accesses the pangs of adolescence as astutely as any non-period film on the subject, and in a context that I find quite bracing.
That's a really insightful point about adolescence, and I think you've come closest to 'cracking the case' on the challenge that I, and many of us, have expressing what Coppola is doing in her films that's so moving. Her characters are stuck in developmental stages of life that emulate that adolescent nebulosity, whether they're actual children or adults, and she treats them in a way that's humanistic but also humbly removed in allowing the humanity to exist as an enigma, which consequently only helps support that respect of one's singularity. Coppola always seems to be coming at her characters from a place of unconditional interest, where even in The Bling Ring -a film that I can understand the hate for but find myself magnetically drawn to- these characters' ethical behavior must be shared with a contradictory but equally valid curiosity about what's important to them and why, forming a eccentrically compassionate satire than in another filmmaker's hands would be garbage.
Very well said -- I've found that film, for all its plastic ugliness, a subject of continued fascination for this exact reason: the contradiction of finding the absurdity in their limited worldview and taking them seriously as individuals (while also challenging the problems of environment and neglect that have partially or even mostly led them to become this way).
Exactly, though I really admire how Coppola refrains from endorsing any diagnostic reading as a cause for specified sympathy, and moves into a less concrete space of your first point - that a part of us needs to take them seriously as individuals. Of course, only a part of us!

It takes great skill to acknowledge the environmental factors without prescribing responsibility to them. In fact, what's wonderful about the film is that it's about a group of kids who are unquestionably objectively responsible for their actions, and instead of issuing a Blame Society counterpoint, Coppola recognizes that their worldviews contrast with those of the ingrained old-fashioned systems of issuing responsibility including law, and so the interest isn't about satirizing the assignment of responsibility so much as exploring that dissonance of how one contextualizes responsibility and ethics as fascinating (for if we do venture down that path, we should ask: if these kids are so far removed from our paradigms of order, do we pathologize the kids without evaluating the communication breakdowns between these systems and youth, starting with the systems themselves- and thus rhetorically our accountability there as teachers of the next generation?). If anything, Coppola's only position on responsibility is that, as human beings, we have a responsibility to take any perspective seriously as of equal dignity and worth to our own.

Sure, some of these characters come off as ridiculous but they fully believe in their perspective and so we are expected to look at the events from two vantage points - first, judging from our own (after all, we need to validate our own points of view too, and anybody claiming not to have one here isn't paying attention or being honest with themselves) and second, pare back the judgment to glean the earnestness beneath the superficialities. That's the satire- not a meanspiritedness toward one group of millennial materialism- but an exposure of the contradictions in the psychosocial experience, clashing perspectives against behavior indiscriminately in subject and viewer. These characters are after what many of us will declare to be shallow aims but they're looking to achieve a broadly relatable sense of identity and self-worth from those surface-level objectives, taking the bootstraps-ideology to an extreme and revealing its problematic context in the process; and most importantly, demonstrating that just because someone is recycling and imitating others to form their own views, philosophies, and image in postmodern applications of self-actualization, doesn't mean that it's not authentically-driven. After all, don't we all do the same to some extent, and if we view our process as less perverse or repelling, isn't that a subjective goalpost that by rigidly sticking to refuses to grant a humanistic length of rope to move beyond our solipsism? I'm sure past generations felt similarly about us, and so on down the number line.

therewillbeblus

#85 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 pm

After revisiting this film I will double down on my previous post and say this is a masterpiece of unconditional curiosity challenging our objective judgments with empathy divorced from ethics. Coppola plants us so firmly in the world of these characters that the only intrusive moralizations stem from the viewer until the last act when consequences catch up with them. They exist in a vacuum where we join them intimately partying, receiving social validation, actualizing their obsessions with natural thrills, and living the lifestyle that is emulated for them as ideal. It’s not supposed to be “exciting” for us, but rather observational and validating of their excitement without endorsement of their means of achieving such a state. One reason that I believe this film is alienating to viewers is its fundamental disinterest in introducing or developing these characters in a traditional way that involves the audience as active supports in the process. We are welcomed into their world of faux-self actualization as bystanders rather than agents of their characterization. Coppola treat these people with respect to their developmental stagnancy, which is mistaken as shallowness but is simply realistic, and the antithesis of a normalized narrative that would force artificial methods of deep identification and maturation as these people grow into subscribing to our codes of behavior or our realizations of moral hierarchies. There is a sense of moral conscience at first from Marc, but this is stemming more from selfish anxiety over being caught than a moral issue, and yet these aren't characters who are shamed for their lack of empathy- nor are they celebrated for it. They are so cut off from the notion of responsibility that, for the first two acts, we become immersed in their experience of excitement and self-gratification- which is ignorant by definition but Coppola is showing us that we are equally ignorant if we refuse to engage with this perspective.

They are objectively responsible of course, but a lens of interest allows for the relatability of peer pressure brewing euphoric experience, as well as the realistic roots of western individualist guilt- that often when we become affected by an outcome negatively is when we really begin to authentically care. As someone who has conflicted fond and regrettable memories of engaging in unethical yet euphoric experiences, I can peripherally relate to both sides here, though certainly not the specifics or activity so illegal. I think it's important to tell their story, even if the ramifications are unquestionably just. The scene where Sam plays with the gun is one of the most uncomfortable and powerful moments in Coppola's career, as we snap out of the narrative haze to recognize the imminent danger with amplified anxiety, because Sam is naive and arrogant enough to actually kill somebody against the grain of cinematic expectations. This long take is framed objectively, causing a stark look at how unpredictable youth can be, highlighting their obliviousness to the consequences of their actions as both frustrating and tragic. This is the developmental stage where one's pleasure-center of the brain is in full-force, and neurons only fire to reach pleasure when engaging in the highest of highs, while their ability to plan and delay gratification is barely sprouting. It's the age when risk-taking behaviors are at their peak and the emerging adult's psychology is impervious to the development we demand as viewers, an ironically realistic portrait of youth's blindness to external realism. So what could be a more honest way to tell this story than to meet them at their locus of "reality."

The last act played better on this last watch as well, where these kids utilize their fame to access and capitalize on the attention that they've always craved, actions that can be viewed as sleazy and avoidant of moral sobriety, but also resilient in step with the satirical reinforcement of public systems of American values from the now-dominant tabloid zeitgeist. And of course if one chooses to do some digging, they can discover that Alexis Haines (Watson's Nikki) was addicted to heroin (which we can see her freebasing in one scene) amongst other substances during this time period- and was allegedly kicked out of her home at one point. Nick Prugo, Rachel Lee, and likely others were also apparently engaging in pretty troubling addiction-driven behaviors, the depths of which we are not shown in favor of the solipsistic highs, and such revelations makes clear that this myopic handicap is emblematic of this posse's world. Again not a diffusion of responsibility, but a noteworthy barrier to moral consciousness. I also get a kick out of her framing of an active addict as a "practicing" addict in the interview- which is at once a hilarious scene and also a witty example of the subversion of truth in publicity forming its own self-delusional truth, wholly in step with the film's ubiquitous motive of finding a non-artificial way to convey the experiences of those obsessed with superficial artificiality, ironically repurposed as subjective authenticity. Nobody said this film wasn't funny too!

therewillbeblus

#86 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:54 pm

Get yer Sofia Coppola Ts! (there’s no director thread so I just picked her best movie featured on the shirts)

aox

#87 Post by aox » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:55 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:54 pm
I just picked her best movie

:wink:

therewillbeblus

#88 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Hey, I made a case across two posts upthread- show me your bling and counter it!