Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2014)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
knives

Re: Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2014)

#151 Post by knives » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:13 pm

I’ll have to disagree since the implications of a Patrick comparison is that her inhumanity is a divorce from feeling, to oversimplify terms, whereas in the film as we get to know her true self she displays a lot of different feelings, separate from emotion, such as curiosity and a desire to assimilate. I think a better point of comparison is Allen as Zelig.

Mr Sausage

#152 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 pm

Does she reveal her emotions or acquire them? I thought one of the reversals in the film is how skin can go quite deep.

knives

#153 Post by knives » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:38 pm

That’s a possibility and why I was trying to make a distinction between my examples and emotion.

flyonthewall2983

#154 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:24 am

Beyond the first act or so, It's maybe not so simple as a divorce as in my example, but as soon as her interactions with men from inside the van are over her face goes back to that stare which intimates the hunting instinct. You see that much in Patrick's performance a few times when he is pretending to be a cop (mimicked to a degree in a few other scenes, notably by Jeanette Goldstein when the T-1000 inhabits her character), and once he's assimilated the information he goes back to the natural state of robotic predator.

colinr0380

#155 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:48 am

It may be better to think of the main character at first as an abattoir worker who suddenly starts feeling a sympathy for the animals she is dispatching and their 'simpler' way of being, and from that whether there is a better way of being in a new world. And then in the second half one of those people who goes on a back to nature holiday only to find themselves in much too far over their head.

It could also be the sci-fi equivalent of the seductiveness of the 'going native' narrative. In other words Under The Skin is the better version of Avatar!

thirtyframesasecond

#156 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:48 am
It may be better to think of the main character at first as an abattoir worker who suddenly starts feeling a sympathy for the animals she is dispatching and their 'simpler' way of being, and from that whether there is a better way of being in a new world. And then in the second half one of those people who goes on a back to nature holiday only to find themselves in much too far over their head.

It could also be the sci-fi equivalent of the seductiveness of the 'going native' narrative. In other words Under The Skin is the better version of Avatar!
That analogy is much more in keeping with the Faber novel, where
SpoilerShow
the humans are the food for the rich on the planet Isserley is from

Detective Arkadin

Under the Skin

#157 Post by Detective Arkadin » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:35 pm

I feel like I'm going crazy. I was certain that Jonathan Glazer's Under the Skin was already a part of the Criterion Collection. But it isn't. The Mandela effect strikes again, I guess.

Anyway, I think it (as well as Glazer's two other features) both merit Criterion releases. Mesmerizing films.

Rupert Pupkin

#158 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:29 pm

I have seen "around" a WEB 2160 release. Is an UHD disk planned in a not so distant future ?
This title should really be added to the Criterion collection.

yoloswegmaster

#159 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:29 pm
I have seen "around" a WEB 2160 release. Is an UHD disk planned in a not so distant future ?
I'm believe that copy is ripped from a iTunes stream since it's available to watch on there in 4K Dolby Vision. I wouldn't be surprised if A24 themselves released it in one of those deluxe collector's edition that they have been doing. I could also see StudioCanal doing a 4K release ove in the U.K.

Rupert Pupkin

#160 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:16 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:29 pm
I'm believe that copy is ripped from a iTunes stream since it's available to watch on there in 4K Dolby Vision. I wouldn't be surprised if A24 themselves released it in one of those deluxe collector's edition that they have been doing. I could also see StudioCanal doing a 4K release ove in the U.K.
That would be great; Criterion even better.
There has been some really inspired artwork posted here on this thread (there was a link).
I have the blu-ray UK. I rewatched it yesterday. It's as strange as The Man Who Fell To Earth. Scarlett Johansson is really impressive and the choice of Scotland interesting.
The soundtrack is one of the best that I have ever heard recently for a Sci-Fi movie (it really adds a lot to the movie) : the beat + the tremolo violin a-la Psycho is really powerful. Another highlight is the "love scene" tremolo synth which reminds me King Crimson's early years on stage when they use a mellotron so sensitive to power voltage fluctuation.

flyonthewall2983

#161 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:11 am

I must say i really cringe when I read my prior posts in this thread after watching the movie again last night. For me rewatching something means also thinking about the outer circumstances surrounding the two hours I give in exchange for applying that all in what I see.

What I took away this time is the aspect of isolation, and how it applies to who we see throughout this. I have let myself be alone and felt perhaps never more alone then I did in that place with the rickety furniture and neglected items as useful to me as at one point a piece of cake is.

I was maybe too lost myself to see the deeper things in this I did last night, but regardless of all that I really get it now and while on some level it stuck with me I think the perspective I came into it with last night made my engagement with it easier to swallow.

I think I am developing a taste for horror. Whether I find myself wondering about my own desensitization to violence, or maybe recognize that whatever would trigger me is something maybe told from the point of view I can understand most now. On letterboxd I said the deaths are some of the most horrific things I have seen not on the news. Expounding on that, for me, is it's own reward.