Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2010)

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:56 pm

So I guess this is the way things are announced nowadays - Production Weekly's twitter confirmed that principal photography on the film will begin in April. Benecio Del Toro, Gael Garcia Bernal and Daniel Day Lewis are slated to star.

Murdoch

Re: Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2010)

#2 Post by Murdoch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Day-Lewis and Del Toro will hopefully do wonders together onscreen, I haven't been a fan of Scorsese's output post-Goodfellas but this sounds incredibly promising with those two in front of the camera.

rs98762001

#3 Post by rs98762001 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

After a decade and a half of bland, depressing shit that could have been made by anyone, it's great to see Scorsese finally getting back to a personal, meaningful story. The book is a masterpiece that thematically harkens back to Marty's glory days with Schrader. The casting is also perfect. The only thing that's a concern is that we all know what happened the last time Scorsese got to make a dream project that had been swimming around in his head for 20 years. The difference here, and the reason I feel more confident in what is going to result, is that Silence has Endo's source material, while Gangs of New York had nothing of the sort.

Antoine Doinel

#4 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Marty and the Weinsteins also butted heads on pretty much every decision with Gangs Of New York. Hopefully the higher ups at WB will stay out of his way on this one.

Highway 61

#5 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:05 am

And let's also take into consideration that Scorsese really was begging for mainstream and Oscar vindication with Gangs of New York. Now that that's finally come to pass, I'm very optimistic about Scorsese delivering a personal and beautiful film.

kaujot

#6 Post by kaujot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 am

What book is this based on?

kinjitsu

#7 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 am

Silence (Chinmoku) by Shusaku Endo

rs98762001

#8 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Marty and the Weinsteins also butted heads on pretty much every decision with Gangs Of New York. Hopefully the higher ups at WB will stay out of his way on this one.
Perhaps. But the script simply wasn't any good to begin with. It was a project that never made it out of Scorsese's head onto the page or screen in any successful way.

Antoine Doinel

#9 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I disagree. I'm a big Gangs Of New York apologist, and there is a longer cut (which Scorsese denies is his "director's cut") that is floating around, that apparently works a lot better than the theatrical release. I haven't seen it (but have read some reviews of it) and even as a GONY fan, the theatrical cut definitely does suffer from some fairly obvious and capricious edits to the plot that a longer cut would definitely help make cohesive.

rs98762001

#10 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:39 pm

It still would've had Cameron and Leo as the world's least convincing 19th Century urchins at the center of the film.

jackford

#11 Post by jackford » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 pm

I quite like Gangs of New York as well. Certainly the film suffers from the revenge plot, most likely added by the Weinsteins, but there are still some beautiful moments in the film which rank up with the best of Scorsese's work.

And its great to see Scorsese finally getting a chance to make this film as well. According to the book "Scorsese on Scorsese", filming it has been on his mind since the editing of "Cape Fear" in 1991.

statsman

#12 Post by statsman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Is Vince Chase in it? :D

Professor Wagstaff

Re: New Films in Production

#14 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:59 pm

I don't think I can buy this news until I actually hear that cameras started rolling. I've heard this knocked around as 'the next Scorsese picture' for a long time. Does anyone else remember right after The Departed that Scorsese supposedly had the leads lined up with Daniel Day-Lewis starring? It's always on the cusp of being made, like The Last Temptation of Christ or Gangs of New York were. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but I wouldn't get to excited until we hear something more concrete.

James Mills

#15 Post by James Mills » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 pm

What happened to this then?

Jeff

#16 Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Scorsese's always got a lot of potential projects going at once, and seems to decide rather impulsively as to what's next. As of a couple of weeks ago, his publicist was saying that The Silence was locked as his next project. He's still attached to The Wolf of Wall Street and presumably The Irishman too. As recently as a couple of months ago, he seemed to think that the latter would be ready to go next. Then again, he appears to have a habit recently of getting attached to unlikely projects that seem to come out of nowhere, like remakes of Hong Kong crime pictures, pulpy Dennis Lehane thrillers, and adaptations of graphic novels for kids.

Highway 61

#17 Post by Highway 61 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I hope it's Silence. The Irishman sounds fun, but Silence is the movie that Scorsese needs to make. It's an opportunity for him to finally adopt an old-age style, rather than repeat his past success.

JMULL222

#18 Post by JMULL222 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 pm

I'd obviously be beyond psyched for any of these (and remember the rumor that "Irishman" would be accompanied by an "8 1/2"-esque companion piece?), but for some reason "The Wolf of Wall Street" is the one that I think could be a real late classic for Scorsese. Working on a low budget from a reality-based script with no studio impositions? Could make for a new age 'Goodfellas'.

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:07 pm

The Playlist seems to have further confirmation that The Silence is up next for Scorsese, and that The Wolf of Wall Street will follow that. Both are apparently financed and ready to go. Scott Rudin is now trying to resuscitate Scorsese's long-gestating Sinatra film, and Deniro says he still plans to do The Irishman eventually. On top of all that, Scorsese is currently working on his docs about British cinema and George Harrison.

FerdinandGriffon

Re: Martin Scorsese

#20 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 pm

So, apparently Scorsese has cast Andrew Garfield as the lead in Silence. A peculiar choice, as Garfield looks more than a little similar to David Lampson, who played Father Rodrigues in Shinoda's version:

hearthesilence

#21 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm not familar with this material at all, but does Garfield strike you as a good replacement for Daniel Day-Lewis? I'm seriously disappointed by this, but I'm hoping that maybe this is a more appropriate choice?

zedz

#22 Post by zedz » Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 pm

As long as he can act better than Lampson, everything will be fine.

Actually, between you and me and the bedpost, I think you, me and the bedpost could act better than David Lampson.

knives

#23 Post by knives » Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I'm not familar with this material at all, but does Garfield strike you as a good replacement for Daniel Day-Lewis? I'm seriously disappointed by this, but I'm hoping that maybe this is a more appropriate choice?
He's replacing del Toro's character actually. In this case I think that's a better fit for the character. I doubt though that Scorsese will handle the material better than Shinoda.

FerdinandGriffon

#24 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Garfield hasn't impressed me, but, even without having seen zedz's lamppost in anything, it sounds more talented than Lampson.

Shinoda's Silence is probably the weakest amongst the thirteen of his features I've seen so far. Scorsese's version doesn't sound any more promising, but what-the-hey, I'll see it.

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#25 Post by Anhedionisiac » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

As inmensely talented as Benicio del Toro is, he always struck me as not only far too old for the character of Rodrigues but, more crucially, hard to believe in a role that demands a great deal of naïveté, something that the world-weary creases in his face would never allow. I'd love to see him in the role of Father Ferreira, though, he'd be killer. As for Garfield... while I've never cared much for him (not even in Red Riding or The Social Network), his blank good looks will serve him well here. I must confess I'm looking forward to seeing him being tortured!