The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
hearthesilence

Re: The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

#251 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:Rosenbaum has a history of statements like this. He hated No Country For Old Men for similar reasons.
Re: No Country for Old Men, so did Jim Hoberman and Dave Kehr among others - Rosenbaum's view of that film wasn't all that unique.

aox

#252 Post by aox » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:25 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I do wish Tarantino weren't planning to retire, though. I find his filmmaking endlessly compelling, and he seems to be working through something towards some particular end, which I would love to see him get to.
I realize he has said this and we only have two films that he plans to give us. However, given his bio and how hard he worked to get into the industry combined with his love of film and success as a filmmaker, I find it shocking that he of all people would walk away. He's no Bela Tarr. He seems to breathe and bleed cinema.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#253 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

I am surprised that in 2016, after he himself has been quoted as asking people to take what he says in interviews re: his career trajectory with a grain of salt, and he's had decades of thinking out loud when asked questions about future projects and how he wants to proceed, that this is even a conversation people find worth having. The guy says what's on his mind at the time he's asked a question (a full Kill Bill cut, a Kill Bill anime film, an origin film about Bill, Kill Bill 3 following Vivica A. Fox's daughter from Volume 1 as an adult, a Django Unchained comic book and miniseries, Killer Crow, The Vega Brothers, a Hateful Eight stage production, a miniseries adaptation of Forty Lashes Less One, balling up and throwing out the Hateful Eight screenplay after the leak scandal... and these are all off the top of my head!) and when he's onto the next project, his priorities shift with it. Taking anything he's quoted as saying with regard to the future of his career before a project [or retirement] is officially announced is a big waste of time.

zedz

#254 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:31 pm

I have no interest in this, but fans of this film and overpriced faux limited edition souvenirs may be interested to know that Third Man Records have a ludicrous collectors set of the soundtrack available for that $250 you can't decide whether or not to burn:
Third Man Records wrote:Third Man Records presents our limited edition component to the much celebrated (and Golden Globe awarded) Hateful Eight soundtrack, featuring original scoring by Ennio Morricone. Produced in a limited number of 500, and featuring many hand-made and hand-assembled elements, this is one for Third Man and Quentin Tarantino fans alike.

The included LP is two 180-gram LPs w/ all the posters and booklet from the standard edition, but with a different cover featuring our man QT hard at work on the inside fold out... The 18 gauge galvanized steel 7" box features real bullet holes and a laser etched Hateful Eight logo. The box itself contains the score and soundtrack as a 7" set (on blood red vinyl w/ black streaks) inside 8 separate sleeves featuring all members of the Hateful Eight from the film, as well as a metal noose pin and a replica of the film's famed "Lincoln Letter."

LP:
• 2 180-gram LPs
• Trifold jacket with cover variant (soft touch finish)
• 60” x 12” poster
• 36” x 12” poster
• 12-page booklet insert
BOX:
• 18 gauge galvanized steel box with real bullet holes & laser etched logo
• 8 7” records (blood red with black streaks) in Hateful Eight character sleeves (soft touch finish + spot varnish on blood)
• Metal noose pin in custom stamped and blood-spattered box
• Hidden Lincoln Letter replica

Standard version LP available now at thirdmanstore.com and a local, independent record store near you.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#255 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 pm

For someone who claims to love vinyl and vinyl collectors, Jack White sure does have no scruples about gouging the fuck out of his customers

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#256 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Can't beat the real bullet holes in the box, though... I hate when I buy music with fake bullet holes on the packaging.

matrixschmatrix

#257 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm

The levels of real and fake on the Lincoln letter are dizzying

Luke M

#258 Post by Luke M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 am

aox wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:An Italian interviewer recently asked Rosenbaum's opinion on this, and he elaborated just a little bit more:

I’ve seen the movie and find it hateful and disgusting. The fact that it totally wastes its opportunity to use 70mm (and I saw it projected that way) is to me of little consequence or interest alongside its view of humanity in general and the audience in particular.
I don't really understand the strong visceral reaction that many in the over-50 age group are having with this. I'm not saying there aren't some brutal moments, but even the blood scenes are done in classic QT style where they are so over-the-top that they are deliberately ridiculous. My grandmother (Age 79) who has been seeing at least one movie a week in the cinema since the 1940s (and has seen all previous QT films) actually took time out of her day to send me a completely unsolicited email that mirrors Rosenbaum's. Saying, it was the most vile, disgusting work she had ever seen and QT is a psychopath.

What?

If this movie can elicit that reaction, I don't see how Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, and Django get a pass. To me, and assuming I truly understand the argument (which I don't), Hateful Eight seems to be those films on Valium and tame.
SpoilerShow
is this about the few punches to the face (admittedly brutal) that JJL takes?

Because, if that is the main argument, I've seen hundreds of more brutal, "disgusting" films in my life even completely disregarding QT.
I think the difference between The Hateful Eight and the other Tarantino films you mention, is that all those films have clearly defined, do-gooder heroes. I imagine violence is easier to swallow if there's a character with a strong moral compass. Tarantino sets up background stories where it's pretty easy to root against the Bride's enemies, the Nazis, and the slave holders. But here all the characters are portrayed early on as being pretty vile. The reactions to it being more disgusting than other films are less about blood/gore than it is a criticism of the characters. I can certainly see the argument. I have far less patience these days for unlikeable and/or uninteresting characters.

aox

#260 Post by aox » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Is there a reason the photographer used such a wide open aperture (f2.8, f1.2?)? The depth of field is annoying and unnecessary.

flyonthewall2983

#261 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:33 pm

I know a little bit about guitars, and it looked antique but I figured someone just mocked it up so it could be destroyed.

I wonder if that's a little bit of one-upsmanship between him and PTA for Joaquin Phoenix destroying the toilet in The Master.

Kirkinson

#262 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:37 pm

aox wrote:Is there a reason the photographer used such a wide open aperture (f2.8, f1.2?)? The depth of field is annoying and unnecessary.
None of the lenses were capable of f/1.2, the lowest f-stop available was 2.8. As for the reasons to shoot wide open, the simplest explanation could be that they weren't using particularly fast film stock and the interiors were already overlit (relative to reality) as it is. But I would speculate that it was also a strategic choice, as Robert Richardson has mentioned in a couple interviews that the extremely wide aspect ratio (2.76:1) meant that any time he wanted a medium shot they would necessarily end up shooting half of the room at minimum, and if he wanted to move the camera in a medium shot it would end up covering at least two-thirds of the room. So they had to come up with ways of obscuring background information if they wanted to draw the eye to one particular character or spot on the frame. Shallow focus would be one of the more obvious ways to do that. I'd disagree that it was unnecessary, given the conditions set by the format they were shooting in—though you could make the case, as many have, that shooting on that format in the first place was unnecessary.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#263 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:00 am

A bunch of the fine, upstanding citizens over on Blu-ray.com's forum are petrified that they might not get the theatrical roadshow version of this film on Blu-ray - which, correct me if I'm wrong, makes perfect sense for them not to get. A lot of threats not to purchase it floating around. Ha.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#264 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 am

The only difference between the two versions I'll be sad not have access to is JJL's one-take song performance, which is shorter and conventionally edited in the standard version of the film. I won't miss exciting runners about plucking a chicken

TMDaines

#265 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:19 am

mfunk9786 wrote:A bunch of the fine, upstanding citizens over on Blu-ray.com's forum are petrified that they might not get the theatrical roadshow version of this film on Blu-ray - which, correct me if I'm wrong, makes perfect sense for them not to get. A lot of threats not to purchase it floating around. Ha.
I've not gone to see it for this reason. If I am part of your scorn then so be it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#266 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:22 am

I never looked at a breakdown of the differences, but it's a film that, without an intermission and the sort of rhythmic breathing room that comes with it, could withstand some trimming. Though I'm not sure why you'd ever alter the way the guitar sequence was edited.

And TMDaines - the roadshow version was intended to be the theatrical cut only for 70mm exhibitions, and 35mm exhibitions at the New Beverly. Even Academy screeners were the regular cut - I don't think it's a situation where the roadshow is the "director's cut" in any way shape or form, it's intended to be something apart from the widely accepted and exhibited cut of the movie. Tarantino has already essentially said that the roadshow cut won't be for home consumption, so I will be shocked if it turns up on the initial Blu-ray release, or at all. I don't see why that warrants a boycott of the film, let alone endless 'mad online' whining

aox

#267 Post by aox » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Beyond the intermission, I didn't realize there were differences in the cut/edit of the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#268 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:24 pm

SpoilerShow
The conversation between Kurt Russell and Samuel L Jackson about the horse is Roadshow only. The scenes/dialog about chicken plucking are Roadshow only. The JJL performance is one take with mistake in the Roadshow, conventionally edited and shorter in the regular version. The Roadshow opens with the Cinerama logo. I think those are the only differences beyond the intermission and Entrance Music.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#269 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: chicken plucking - it got an audible "oh no" from my dad when we saw it in the roadshow when it turns up again later, so it's unfortunate that it was cut. The rest, I can understand.

aox

#270 Post by aox » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks, Dom.

I would hope that any omitted footage from the theatrical cut would at least turn up on the BD as deleted and alternate scenes.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#271 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:04 pm

aox wrote:I would hope that any omitted footage from the theatrical cut would at least turn up on the BD as deleted and alternate scenes.
That sounds like the perfect solution, to be honest. Really looking forward to the 12 minute intermission card scene

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#272 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:20 pm

That reminds me, the other difference between the two is the song that plays once the intermission winds down isn't in the regular release version either

aox

#273 Post by aox » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
aox wrote:I would hope that any omitted footage from the theatrical cut would at least turn up on the BD as deleted and alternate scenes.
That sounds like the perfect solution, to be honest. Really looking forward to the 12 minute intermission card scene
Ha. Not exactly what I meant, but sure...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#274 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:39 pm

I was joking, but I assure you, not joking at your expense.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#275 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Film's Facebook has the press release for the Blu-Ray (out March 29), confirmed to be the standard release version with no deleted or optional scenes from the Roadshow