The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
bearcuborg

Re: The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

#326 Post by bearcuborg » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 pm

As I posted earlier, those comments were pretty hard to defend. Man, that’s creepy. I hope he nails them.

flyonthewall2983

#327 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 pm

What a bummer way to spend your birthday

hearthesilence

#328 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Yeah, but at that age, not dying is a pretty good way of spending a birthday.

flyonthewall2983

#329 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 pm

It's amazing he is still as active as he is. He just retired from doing live performances but as far as I know he's still working.

Big Ben

#330 Post by Big Ben » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:28 pm

I cannot fathom why Playboy would publish such a ridiculous story as the publication at one time was well known for it's quality written pieces. Why publish such a stupid lie?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#331 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:07 pm

I doubt that Playboy Germany necessarily has much of a journalistic rep, but still, it is bizarre that this would be made up from whole cloth

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#333 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Netflix has announced that the “extended version” will be coming in April. Presumably this is the Roadshow version, but somehow I suspect Tarantino had no say in this, since streaming isn’t any different than Blu-ray as far as preserving the experience for theatrical viewing only

Ribs

#334 Post by Ribs » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Makes me wonder if a roadshow UHD might be inbound to time to the new movie over the summer, though who knows what the deal is with rights with TWC titles

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#335 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:21 pm

Yes, the one strange element missing from this film's home video experience is the lack of UHD. Same with The Master. Just too early to take advantage, and now mired in Weinstein bullshit.

Big Ben

#336 Post by Big Ben » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Does Tarantino have the pull to get some of his stuff off the hook? I was under the impression he got a pretty sweet deal for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood but I can't imagine Weinstein was as gracious as Sony. Regardless I've been looking for an excuse to see Hateful Eight again. Not that the intermission will add too much mind you.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#337 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 pm

I just don't think he cares too much, beyond an initial release, about the home video presentation of his films. He's never been the sort of filmmaker to see a bunch of double dips and special editions and new restorations come down the pike too often.

Which is unfortunate, because the original cut of Kill Bill is absolutely the way that film should be seen.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#338 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:17 pm

The extended cut of this will release on Netflix April 25, just in time to give you a reason to ignore the new Avengers

tarpilot

#339 Post by tarpilot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Any word on territorial restrictions?

Monterey Jack

#340 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Shame it'll probably never be on a proper, pressed disc. :(

black&huge

#341 Post by black&huge » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:26 am

I just checked to see and add the extended version to my watch list for viewing later tonight on netflix here's what I noticed:

- it's split up into episodes like how they split up tv series.

- they are not divided by each chapter. The fourth (I think?) Chapter that is The Four Passengers does not headline an ep.

- total combined runtime is 210 minutes. Roadshow was 187 minutes. Was the roadshow runtime always counting the overture and intermission time? Well either way I see no reason either or the very least the intermission would be included since it's split into eps so this may actually be a whole new version of the film with a good chunk of new footage.

EDIT: for the roadshow version (which I was lucky enough to catch at the time in a nearby city) the overture was 4 minutes and intermission was 12. If we add this to the 187 minute runtime assuming that already doesn't include them it brings it to 203 minutes which means there's either 7 minutes of new footage or 23 (if the 187 counts overture and intermission).

EDIT 2: there are recaps in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th eps totaling around 4 minutes each. Subtracted from the 210 runtime it's still 198 minutes which is 11 minutes longer than the roadshow. Will be watching this all tonight and will report back if I notice anything different from the roadshow version.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#342 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:40 pm

black&huge, are the end credits factored into your summary of times? I imagine they now appear with every episode, which could well explain the rest of the time discrepancy

black&huge

#343 Post by black&huge » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:40 pm
black&huge, are the end credits factored into your summary of times? I imagine they now appear with every episode, which could well explain the rest of the time discrepancy
You're correct each ep has 4 minutes of end credits so it comes out to 182 min. No overture included I'm guessing no intermission so if those were counted for the roadshow runtime there could still be 11 minutes of new footage

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#344 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Just skimmed through this - there is no overture, no intermission, and the Jim Jones At Botany Bay scene is as it was in the non-roadshow cut (shorter, not one take). Very interested in hearing what is actually different in this, because the big thing that I thought they would add (the one-take of that song) is not present.

EDIT: There appears to be at least one additional scene in the first "episode" of the film: at around 11:40 in the theatrical cut, where Jackson says "Yeah, I got it" before the film cuts to the stagecoach moving across a landscape, Jackson instead turns to O.B. and talks to him about moving the bodies onto the roof of the stagecoach for about 80 seconds, then it goes into the wide shot. Don't know if that was in the roadshow or not, but real riveting stuff all the same.

Also, the 3 minutes or so of the chicken-plucking dialogue (after "So long as the bar is Philadelphia") is back.
Last edited by Never Cursed on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

black&huge

#345 Post by black&huge » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm
Just skimmed through this - there is no overture, no intermission, and the Jim Jones At Botany Bay scene is as it was in the non-roadshow cut (shorter, not one take). Very interested in hearing what is actually different in this, because the big thing that I thought they would add (the one-take of that song) is not present.
That is very unfortunate. I liked that version of the scene better. Odd.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#346 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 am

First off, this is indeed in (glorious) 4K, and there are magnificent little moments throughout that weren't in either version of the film. I would need to really dig into a side-by-side to point out all of them, but there's a different rhythm to this version that makes it stand apart from the home video release and the roadshow version.

Just to name one example: after Jackson's interrogation of Bob in the barn, there's an absolutely gorgeous purple-hued shot out the window that pulls back out into Madsen's raw nerve of a character that I don't recall seeing in the theatrical version. This is around 10 seconds(?), but it's stunning to look at, and since each segment has more breathing room than even the roadshow cut did, Tarantino was clearly free to reanimate some of his darlings.

Most filmmakers and most films would not benefit from this sort of experiment, but this is one I'm thrilled to see. I'm glad he took the time to do this, and unless I can catch it in 70mm again, it's the definitive way to watch The Hateful Eight, and it isn't even close.

Anyway, I'm taking a much needed break from this place for a little while, so back to that until further notice! But it's not every day something this monumental is released so quietly.

black&huge

#347 Post by black&huge » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 am

Yep, there was a WEALTH of new footage not in either version spread throughout all 4 eps. The most new additions are in ep 2. However there may have been numerous alternate takes used with scenes that were in the wide release. They did some pretty cool stuff though not just riding off the gimmick of "more stuff!" like...
SpoilerShow
they extended the hell out of the flashback scene where John and Daisy enter the Haberdashery. Where it ends as they bust through the door in the wide release it retraces the entire first encounter with John and Oswaldo/Pete but from a different perspective and using different takes. Most notably when John says "what did that Mexican fella do soak his dirty socks in this?" when referring to the coffee the take they used has Russell on the verge of full blown laughing while he's delivering the line. If this was in the roadshow version I surely do not remember.
I wonder how much Tarantino was actually involved in this. He has spoken before of his dislike for netflix but the never before seen footage does add depth to the character interactions and the story structure gets played around with. I would think Tarantino wouldn't just let anyone do that with any of his films.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#348 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 am

There is absolutely no way Tarantino wasn't involved in this.

black&huge

#349 Post by black&huge » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 am
There is absolutely no way Tarantino wasn't involved in this.
If that's the case I hope this release is a sign that his extended 4 hour Django cut he specifically wanted to release as a mini series comes to fruition soon.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#350 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:19 am

The cut of the song was fine with me, by the way, played really beautifully. But the narration beforehand changed "that's why this chapter is called... Domergue's got a secret" to "that's why this is called... Domergue's got a secret" and despite their best editing effort, I wish Tarantino had just broken the fourth wall and re-recorded the line with "episode" in it, or just left it as is. The splice is noticeable. Really my only gripe with this entire thing.