The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

#351 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Tarantino details the genesis of the new miniseries version and confirms he personally re-cut parts of it a few years ago with the film’s editor after Netflix approached him with the idea of incorporating unused footage to make it longer

therewillbeblus

#352 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm

I took Sean Baker's advice from Letterboxd and watched Cut-Throats Nine as a double feature with The Great Silence in reference to this film, and the former is an extremely pronounced influence. Fans of harrowing grindhouse cinema and especially Corbucci's bleak tone in his masterpiece should check this out pronto. I'm surprised Tarantino hasn't talked about it more, since it checks so many of his boxes, including the Man on a Mission action subgenre he adores so much. It's also incredibly gory (moreso than the average film from this period) and it was fun to identify all the key setpieces directly lifted for The Hateful Eight.

Big Ben

#353 Post by Big Ben » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:27 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm
I took Sean Baker's advice from Letterboxd and watched Cut-Throats Nine as a double feature with The Great Silence in reference to this film, and the former is an extremely pronounced influence. Fans of harrowing grindhouse cinema and especially Corbucci's bleak tone in his masterpiece should check this out pronto. I'm surprised Tarantino hasn't talked about it more, since it checks so many of his boxes, including the Man on a Mission action subgenre he adores so much. It's also incredibly gory (moreso than the average film from this period) and it was fun to identify all the key setpieces directly lifted for The Hateful Eight.
What's of most interest to me is that despite Quentin Tarantino's reverence for Sergio Leone I'd argue that he's more like Sergio Corbucci which is a comparison QT himself has acknowledged. The Great Silence is fascinating in this regard because it's the exact opposite of everything you'd expect an American Western to be at this time right down to it's ghoulish denouement. You can certainly see how well certain set pieces transferred to the political hotbox that is The Hateful Eight.