Paddington 1 & 2 (Paul King, 2014/2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Paddington 1 & 2 (Paul King, 2014/2018)

#51 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Absolutely. It's nothing new that the definition of a metric can be crystal cleae but set up in such a way that its results are bound to be misused. That's exactly what has been happening with RT% and for anything, this current example fits perfectly well in it since the % of positive reviews is being (willfully or not) confused with how good the movies might be.

While the metric is clear and indeed perfectly defined, it still isn't a linear metric like the thumbs up/down from Ebert, which is precisely how taking the % as if it's representative of the average score (like pretty much everyone else is doing, and actually like the Ebert thumb was) is misleading. But because are used to a linear metric, that's just what they do anyway : a 98% movie has got to be almost perfect. But actually no, it can only have a 7.5 score. Meanwhile, this 80% looks less good, despite possibly having the same or an even better score.

That's how the % is used, and that's most certainly precisely why it was setup this way. As swo put it, it's efficient as reflecting the likelihood of a movie being OK or not, but people are now simply simplifying it to how good the movies are. And if you indeed look at the MCU or DCEU movies, you'll see how un-correlated the meters and the scores will be. All it does is transforming mediocre scores into very good meters, hence the biases. But I'm sure those Marvel movies do love their meters more than their scores.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#52 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat May 01, 2021 12:16 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:05 pm
Absolutely. It's nothing new that the definition of a metric can be crystal cleae but set up in such a way that its results are bound to be misused.
And as if right on cue, The Telegraph publishes an article with the headline: Rotten Tomatoes is Right - Paddington 2 is the greatest film of all time.

It's definitely a click-bait headline, so I don't want to overstate its importance. The article is mostly harmless and fun. But that headline does show how people, even professional writer people, misinterpret the Tomatometer.

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 pm

I now feel compelled to vote for Paddington 2 in next year's decennial SIght & Sound poll, just to make it official.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#54 Post by cdnchris » Sat May 01, 2021 2:04 pm

The first one's cute enough but I did really enjoy the second. And it was actually a delight to see that Hugh Grant, who I always understood is/was a bit of an ass, is at least self-aware.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#55 Post by tenia » Sat May 01, 2021 2:08 pm

I think I prefer the 1st movie in the end. The 2nd one feels like it has a better story and Grant is wonderful in it, but last time I rewatched it, it felt like dragging a bit, something I don't recall the 1st movie having an issue with.
MichaelB wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 pm
I now feel compelled to vote for Paddington 2 in next year's decennial SIght & Sound poll, just to make it official.
I expect these Best Movies of all Time polls to all be updated to reflect how perfect the movie seems to be.