Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
big ticket

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#926 Post by big ticket » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 pm

The additional footage is “Red Apple” (1’10”) and “Old Chattanooga” (0’49”) before the feature with “Lancer” (4’50”) and “Bounty Law” (3’50”) after the credits, as per the studio’s rerelease programming notes.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#927 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:52 am

That’s too bad (he says while still intending to see the rerelease and check out the new footage)... I’d read in one of the articles about the scenes Tarantino cut from the four-hour work print that there was a particularly good scene with Julia Butters’ Trudy that would have brought her even more attention than she’s already received for what remained in the theatrical cut.

Maybe if this gets the extended Hateful Eight treatment we’ll see that eventually...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#928 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:02 am

Yeah, I'm going tomorrow night in lieu of hobnobbing with Rian Johnson at our festival's closing night party, but somehow that seems like an easy decision. I would just want to tell him in person that he wrecked my childhood and that he's a *reads off sweaty palm* Mary Sue. I will report back on the added stuff.

whaleallright

#929 Post by whaleallright » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am

So we have perhaps five different versions of the film, aside from various working edits: (1) the Cannes premiere version; (2) the slightly shorter wide release version; (3) this re-release version with a few short extra scenes on either end; (4) a promised, even-longer version for home video with 25 min of "restored" scenes; (5) a mooted mini-series version that would likely be even longer.

Jeez!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#930 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

whaleallright wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am
(2) the slightly shorter wide release version;
The theatrical cut is longer than the Cannes cut.

whaleallright

#931 Post by whaleallright » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 am

Ah, I got that backwards. Still, that's a lot of versions!

JMULL222

#932 Post by JMULL222 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:58 am

Now, I agree with the general point—since Menke's passing, he can't seem to do one definitive cut on a movie (DJANGO is not even particularly well edited, I think, and is said to be getting another version in near future; there are currently three publicly-available edits of THE HATEFUL EIGHT; and now this). However, worth noting that it seems it will really only be two cuts on this one... if the rerelease doesn't mess with the actual film, but instead presents "shorts" around it, and the Blu-ray announcement floating around mentions the deleted scenes as extra features, not as part of the feature, so... then it'll really just be the theatrical, and in theory the eventual Netflix miniseries, that has actually played following official release.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#933 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:08 pm

What else can we blame on Menke's passing? Lately I've been having a harder and harder time finding a parking space. Is it Menke? Who can say...
whaleallright wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am
So we have perhaps five different versions of the film, aside from various working edits: (1) the Cannes premiere version; (2) the slightly shorter wide release version; (3) this re-release version with a few short extra scenes on either end; (4) a promised, even-longer version for home video with 25 min of "restored" scenes; (5) a mooted mini-series version that would likely be even longer.

Jeez!
And to JMULL222's point: filmmakers making changes after Cannes or another major festival debut is very common practice. There is currently one final cut of the movie, which is the one released this summer. The one that came out today essentially has bonus material bookending it to get people back out to the theater, most of which comes after the credits have rolled. And the Netflix one doesn't exist yet and might not for years. And the home video thing - we don't have any details yet, but it sounds like deleted scenes will be included on the disc, maybe with branching? Which is also very common practice.

So, one "final" cut. I don't think there's any marketplace confusion once you break it down. And the "theatrical" cut of the film is edited beautifully. There's no sense of confusion with what should and shouldn't be there at all.

I agree that the editing in Django Unchained feels a little off in places, but we have our buddy Harvey to thank for that, who insisted that the film be ready for a Christmas release right under the wire, and also insisted that it be precisely 2 hours and 30 minutes long, not a minute longer. Tarantino seemed pleased with the concessions he ultimately made at the last moment to get this done, but one does wonder what difference the editor makes in a situation where someone's asked to bring a longer film down to an unnaturally pat running time.

JMULL222

#934 Post by JMULL222 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:02 pm

For whatever it's worth DJANGO is actually 2 hours and 46 minutes, with Tarantino noting in interviews earlier this year that his new cut of it is "like three hours and 15 minutes, or three hours and 20 minutes, something like that."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#935 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 am

Oops, sorry. I knew it was some finite runtime, it was 2:45.

Anyway, saw this tonight and the film is the same. Two pre-lights off commercials before the movie and two deleted scenes after the very very end of the credits.

Clarence

#936 Post by Clarence » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:02 am

Wow, I loved every second of this film. If I could’ve watched it again immediately afterward, I would have.
SpoilerShow
The ending had a much bigger impact on me than expected. I found myself getting pretty emotional during the conversation between Rick, Jay, and Sharon. That scene juxtaposed with the reality of the murders was just heartbreaking.
This is far and away my favorite Tarantino film, though I admit I haven’t seen Jackie Brown yet 😬

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#937 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:06 am

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Clarence! And yes, that scene you spoilertagged is just pure electricity. Even at 1 AM tonight, totally exhausted, I had to blink hard during it to avoid blubbering.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#938 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Collector's edition is now up on Amazon at a $75.99 price point, and the release date has been announced as December 10th, November 26th on digital.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will also be available to purchase in a limited 4K UHD Collector’s Edition with a 7-inch vinyl record, a poster for the Rick Dalton film Operazione Dyn-o-mite!, and an exclusive new Mad magazine parody of the Rick Dalton TV series Bounty Law, which is renamed Lousy Law.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#939 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:28 pm

I wish they'd simply add the poster to the regular release and be done with it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#940 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm not really thinking about just buying the 4K so I don't have to look at the regular Blu-ray's cover, am I? Do I need to reactivate my Blu-ray.com account?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#941 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm probably buying the collector's edition even though I don't have a record player and don't think the Rick Dalton poster is any fun unless it's full sized, which I'm sure it isn't, so I'm right there with you except triple the wasted cash
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood has a runtime of approximately 161 minutes and is rated R for language throughout, some strong graphic violence, drug use and sexual references.

4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL BONUS MATERIALS
Over Twenty Minutes of Additional Scenes
Five exclusive behind the scenes pieces including:
Quentin Tarantino’s Love Letter to Hollywood
Bob Richardson – For the Love of Film
Shop Talk – The Cars of 1969
Restoring Hollywood – The Production Design of Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
The Fashion of 1969

DVD BONUS MATERIALS
Over Twenty Minutes of Additional Scenes
Runtime is further evidence that Tarantino is perfectly happy with the existing cut of the film, and that unless a Netflix series emerges, the narrative that he keeps tinkering with it isn't particularly accurate.

black&huge

#942 Post by black&huge » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:12 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm
I'm probably buying the collector's edition even though I don't have a record player and don't think the Rick Dalton poster is any fun unless it's full sized, which I'm sure it isn't, so I'm right there with you except triple the wasted cash
I have a record player that hasnt been used in forever and wont be, I no longer collect vinyl so I'm with you on all points. I'm gonna preorder this 4k set anyways. I just love the film so damn much.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#943 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 pm

EW has posted part of the Lancer deleted scene and some of the Mad parody here. As with everything else, they absolutely nailed the style of Mad (which is to say it's not very funny!).

black&huge

#944 Post by black&huge » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 am

Preorder for the 4k collector's set on Amazon is currently at 56.99. I placed my preorder and also had a $10 courtesy credit so my total is a little over $51

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#945 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 am

Pre-orders for the UHD digital copy are up for $24.99, which is... high! So it'll be worth waiting the extra two weeks.

HitchcockLang

#946 Post by HitchcockLang » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 am

I do have a turntable, a nice one and a recent purchase, and I actively collect vinyl, but that seems like a steep price just for a 45 and as far as I can tell, they haven't even said which two songs are on it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#947 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 am

HitchcockLang wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 am
I do have a turntable, a nice one and a recent purchase, and I actively collect vinyl, but that seems like a steep price just for a 45 and as far as I can tell, they haven't even said which two songs are on it.
Surely "Behind the Green Door," judging by the way the 45 is presented in the packaging (and worth noting that wasn't on the soundtrack, which plays things more straight and doesn't include dialogue or bits from the film), but yeah, not sure on the other

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#948 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:47 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 am
Yeah, I didn't mind paying the extra $5 for the UHD with the better cover and potential format future-proofing, but a 7" and a little Mad homage I'd read once isn't worth another $27-- though I suspect the price will drop some before street date

Toland's Mitchell

#949 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:04 pm

A bit late to the discussion since I recently joined the site. But anyway, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. And my #1 movie of the year so far (although Parasite and Last Black Man in San Francisco aren't far behind). I can see how it felt like a drag to some who were expecting a lot of action given the director's past films. But this one was different. To me, it felt like a Linklater film in the sense that it was a "hanging out" movie, and that it followed characters and their experiences as opposed to a plot-line. However, I loved the rambling, plot-less structure because the recreated 1960s Hollywood atmosphere, and the interesting characters within it, were very appealing to me. Of course, the fact I live in LA and work in film certainly helped. Seeing the streets/landmarks and knowing exactly where they are, seeing the various homages to film-making and Hollywood history, it hit very close to home for me. I also liked how QT tamed down his own fetish for violence. Essentially, how Once Upon a Time in Hollywood differed from a typical Tarantino movie is precisely what I liked so much about it. And I certainly think it's easily one of his best three films along with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#950 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:31 pm

As of today (a few days earlier than initially announced, perhaps it emerged on pirate sites and they fast-tracked?) this is out on digital for a $19.99 purchase most places.

Worth noting though, and this is the first time I've seen this but I guess it's something they've been doing in some form or another for a while - Vudu is offering a physical copy of the UHD Collector's Set (photos earlier in this thread) for $56.99 (plus tax; free shipping) that comes with an "InstaWatch" copy of the UHD digital version (and presumably there'll still be a code inside the box to boot)... as soon as you commit to purchasing it, the digital copy is added to your Vudu account, and if you have Movies Anywhere, that means this film becomes available on pretty much every streaming service simultaneously at the point that you place your order.

So in other words, you get the ideal combination of instant gratification and the physical media. They're also doing it with the Blu-ray (includes the HD streaming copy, not UHD), but not with the regular UHD release (the one that's like $28) - only the collector's set.

I watched it late last night, and it's rather unfortunate though understandable that the content that is not in cinemascope in the film (Bounty Law clips, The 14 Fists of McCluskey, etc) are presented windowboxed in the cinemascope frame, which is a heck of a way to test your TV calibration settings, as the dead space appeared to be quite gray on mine until I made some tweaks. Of course, this wasn't much of a problem in the theater, but I couldn't shake the thought that those 16mm bits would look so lovely if they took up the entire (vertical) screen space.